Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

4 hours ago, CosmicVillan said:

I said it over a year ago...somewhere in this thread I think.

From where we were this was always going to be a massive job to turn it around..like a huge oil tanker heading the wrong way on the ocean

What we see on match day is only the tip of a large iceberg. Dr Xia is a switched on guy and he understood this . It didn't take him long to realise the organisation was broken from top to bottom and start putting people and processes in place to fix it.  But it doesn't happen overnight..you can't just parachute the best people into the mess that we were when we got relegated and expect instant success...it's a process you have to work through.

He stood by Bruce because he knows he's made of the 'right stuff'  It didn't take him long to find out that RDM didn't have the necessary qualities as a person for this job, irrespective of his CV as a coach. You've always got to look at the person first.

Which is all well and good, save that Bruce was apparently told going into the Barnsley away game in September lose that, and it's curtains. 

And a similar conversation took place in the lead up to Boro away. So as recently as 6/7 weeks ago, his job was on the line. 

In truth, that probably makes our progress since even more remarkable. And credit to Bruce himself for fighting back in the manner he has. 

But I'm not convinced that Xia is (or ever really was ) totally sold on Bruce, or sees him as the chief architect for the club's long-term revival. 

Di Matteo was his choice, Bruce was Wyness's (and Round's) recommendation. 

He got burned by the former, so bowed to the football knowledge of the latter. 

Edited by HolteExile
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

At the beginning of the season, before a ball was kicked, we all expected to be in the top 2. As of now, he's done a very respectable job, and we are top 2. Well done Brucey for living up to expectation. The team spirit he's built is a massive bonus

Perhaps a, Brucie Bonus?

p0093n54_640_360.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

A post which adds considerable value to the rich debate on VT. Many thanks.

It's an opinion.

The owner, when he bought the club, said we'd be back in Europe within 5 years, and winning the Champions League within 8-10 years.

Posters in this thread have said we should be aiming for top 6 next season if we're promoted. You even quoted and challenged one such poster yesterday for talking about a top 4 finish.

I should maybe have said, `Who the hell is seriously expecting this'?

My first post said I was going to wait and see. I've been consistent with that.

Also, I'd have no need to backpedal. I know and trust my source, and I've no need to engage in a messageboard-based dick measuring competition with strangers. I feel like there are plenty of posters in here who know who I am and what I'm about.

I've had some info, I've shared it with a disclaimer and my own take on it. You can choose what you want to do with that information - just as I did.

If you took all the `strangers' off this message board, there would not be many left.:)

And I am too old for `dick-measuring'. :)

Anyway, more importantly - I apologise sincerely and unreservedly for offending you.

I can only plead that I am a massive fan, rightly or wrongly, of our owner, and I probably jump to his defence unnecessarily and too strongly. I really want to believe that he is the real thing.

We are dreadful, actually shockingly bad. How have we spent so much money and not assembled a bench that can cover the centre back position? Why on gods earth do we have so many full backs? 

Why do we insist on just booting the ball aimlessly at NO-ONE. Whelan is the biggest culprit of this. Especially when you being on two strikers under 6 foot, PLAY IT TO FEET FFS.

Why did we take Snodgrass off for a FULLBACK? 

I'm beyond angry, this is dross and we are in danger of sliding into horrendous form and not recovering. I am not confident JT will come in and change our fortune so drastically.

I went back through my old posts and found this from the 23rd December, how feelings and thoughts can change over a relatively short space of time. Also, it serves as a reminder of how truly bad we were/can-be, and how important it is to maintain the current form and way of playing.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, HolteExile said:

Which is all well and good, save that Bruce was apparently told going into the Barnsley away game in September lose that, and it's curtains. 

And a similar conversation took place in the lead up to Boro away. So as recently as 6/7 weeks ago, his job was on the line. 

In truth, that probably makes our progress since even more remarkable. And credit to Bruce himself for fighting back in the manner he has. 

But I'm not convinced that Xia is (or ever really was ) totally sold on Bruce, or sees him as the chief architect for the club's long-term revival. 

was he? i have plugged into google "bruce 1 game from sack" and similar and the only thing i can find is an article quoting redknapp saying that bruce thought he would be sacked if we lost to barnsley and another article (from the star...enough said) saying following reading away he was 3 games off the sack. hardly reliable sources, and certainly nowhere i can see that indicates a loss to boro and he would have been gone.

regarding your point on Xia not being totally sold on him, the fact that he has kept him in through the 2 quite sticky patches you indicated shows that he believes he is the right man to take us forward for me

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AntrimBlack said:

It's an opinion.

I should maybe have said, `Who the hell is seriously expecting this'?

If you took all the `strangers' off this message board, there would not be many left.:)

And I am too old for `dick-measuring'. :)

Anyway, more importantly - I apologise sincerely and unreservedly for offending you.

I can only plead that I am a massive fan, rightly or wrongly, of our owner, and I probably jump to his defence unnecessarily and too strongly. I really want to believe that he is the real thing.

Apology accepted.  Similarly, I apologise too for being hyper-defensive.

• Thanks 1

I wanted Bruce out because he was underacheiving with the players at his disposal. He has now got us controlling games something that he seemed unable to do. I still think he’s a bit negative but that’s mainly down to having such a defensive bench but so far it’s not cost us. It’s a shame we never clicked at the beginning of December. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, HolteExile said:

Would love to see some degree of proof for any of this

21 hours ago, Heretic said:

I recall him saying he's waited his career for a job like this.

I can't see him walking away from that unless there's something very serious going on e.g. a family issue, or the England job.

You'd think we'd already been promoted. Let's not get carried away with the recent run of results, all this counting chickens. We have to be careful it doesn't come back and bite us on the arse.

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

You'd think we'd already been promoted. Let's not get carried away with the recent run of results, all this counting chickens. We have to be careful it doesn't come back and bite us on the arse.

Ah okay, we're good to go completely OTT when we lose one or two games but heaven forbid doing the same after winning 7 in a row right?

I agree that we've not achieved anything yet but if we can't get behind a Manager/team after winning 7 in a row when can we?

Edited by bannedfromHandV
  • Like 2

On 2/15/2018 at 18:51, Vive_La_Villa said:

I reckon he was close to the sack when that Wyness tweet came out. 

Aren't they all......Conte has an impressive win ratio, but he is close to it too.

Wins, keep em safe.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Â