Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

4 hours ago, AJ said:

The optimist in me says he will stick around, and use his experience to guide and build the club further. What actually happens, the answer is the same to how long is a piece of string.

I recall him saying he's waited his career for a job like this.

I can't see him walking away from that unless there's something very serious going on e.g. a family issue, or the England job.

9 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Bruce is now doing a good job but things can change quickly in football. 

Who would have saw Leeds collapse last season. I would like to believe we have a lot more about us for that to happen though.

sadly they can.

I am not going to tempt providence, but I think we are building in a manner of substance and character.

I am not going to be stupid enough to think we can keep winning, because some times bad luck can turn up.....But I do think our game is resolute and stable and it will take a good team to beat us.

However, If we all keep believing its amazing where it can take us.

I was absolutely wrong to call for his head in September. We were 5/6 games into the season ffs, looking back I have absolutely no idea what on earth I was thinking. 

I didn't do so in December. I was frustrated yes, but I had seen the quality. I just needed him to see it too. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I was absolutely wrong to call for his head in September. We were 5/6 games into the season ffs, looking back I have absolutely no idea what on earth I was thinking. 

I didn't do so in December. I was frustrated yes, but I had seen the quality. I just needed him to see it too. 

I was wrong to doubt him in December....I guess the results got the better of my judgment.....albeit hindsight is an exact science.

I guess in a rebuilding period.....what we see on the pitch to what is happening on the training ground can be 2 entirely different things....until the players get it together.

Edited by TRO

28 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I don't think you were. It was the same shit as last season and very hard to see how he would turn it around. 

10 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

We have all had our fair share on calling for his head during whatever stage of this season from Sept - December, but I do not think anyone was daft to either at whatever stage. I was really all over him being put out the door.

We as fans react to what we see wether that be trugid football or digs in interviews at fans - however thankfully since the very start of January onwards we now look like a unit with a complete coaching team and some great additions in the January window too.

We are now all in agreement that we are firing in the right direction at the right time and not a whiff of hysteria in sight, more of a eurphoria instead.  UTV

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

From what I've heard, it's from a reliable source but I'm certainly going to wait and see, is that the good Dr might be all fart and no shit.

I bloody hope not, or Steve Bruce is the least of our troubles when we're back in the PL.

Possibly your `reliable source' is 'all fart and no shit'.

7 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

What I was told - and usual disclaimer that it's heresay at this stage - is that he's not as rich as we thought when he bought the club, and also that what money he does have is going to be very hard to get out of China because of the change in legislation over there since he bought the club.

He certainly seems to be very ambitious, and I've not heard that we'd be going up and looking for free transfers, but the notion of Top 4 and mega money signings would be pretty wide of the mark.

The PL is now a place where £20m doesn't even buy you one Jonny Evans.

So, to bring it back on topic, whoever is manager when we're next in the PL - we'll need to factor in what he's allowed to spend.  At this stage I'm not taking it for granted that we get promoted and there's £500m in a suitcase with "Steve's Transfer Kitty" written down the side of it, even if that was kind of implied at the time of the takeover.

Who the hell is expecting this?

6 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

They're pretty big teeth!

Let's not get sidetracked by this.  It could be nothing, and we're at a time where everything about the club is shiny and exciting.

To reiterate - I've not been told we've no money to spend.  There's a big difference between having nothing, and having the clout to challenge.  I suspect we'll be somewhere between those two poles.

Let's keep this on Steve Bruce anyway.

You seem to be back pedalling.

Be an interesting summer if we go up. Bruce has built a few sides to get out this league on shoestring budgets. And he's been very good at it. Be interesting to see what he does with some money. He'll probably look to "box clever in the big league" :trollface:

Ive done a complete u-turn on Bruce. Genuinely wanted him gone but thats what a 7 game hot streak will do for you Steve. Buy you some time with Big BC&B

Edited by BleedClaretAndBlue

I said it over a year ago...somewhere in this thread I think.

From where we were this was always going to be a massive job to turn it around..like a huge oil tanker heading the wrong way on the ocean

What we see on match day is only the tip of a large iceberg. Dr Xia is a switched on guy and he understood this . It didn't take him long to realise the organisation was broken from top to bottom and start putting people and processes in place to fix it.  But it doesn't happen overnight..you can't just parachute the best people into the mess that we were when we got relegated and expect instant success...it's a process you have to work through.

He stood by Bruce because he knows he's made of the 'right stuff'  It didn't take him long to find out that RDM didn't have the necessary qualities as a person for this job, irrespective of his CV as a coach. You've always got to look at the person first.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, CosmicVillan said:

I said it over a year ago...somewhere in this thread I think.

From where we were this was always going to be a massive job to turn it around..like a huge oil tanker heading the wrong way on the ocean

What we see on match day is only the tip of a large iceberg. Dr Xia is a switched on guy and he understood this . It didn't take him long to realise the organisation was broken from top to bottom and start putting people and processes in place to fix it.  But it doesn't happen overnight..you can't just parachute the best people into the mess that we were when we got relegated and expect instant success...it's a process you have to work through.

He stood by Bruce because he knows he's made of the 'right stuff'  It didn't take him long to find out that RDM didn't have the necessary qualities as a person for this job, irrespective of his CV as a coach. You've always got to look at the person first.

spot on......being made of the "right stuff" is the real crucial bit.

In 1990, I wrote to Graham Taylor, never wrote to a Villa Manager before and outlined a whole plethora of issues, I thought was significant.

I had a very cordial reply, thanking me for the time and trouble to write.

He said amongst other things quote " Being aware of the problem and being able to do something about it, is, however , two different matters"

I guess it can be related to this manager.......They know the problems, we just have to let them deal with them as and when.

If Graham Taylor is anything to go by.....he did do something about it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

Who the hell is expecting this?

The owner, when he bought the club, said we'd be back in Europe within 5 years, and winning the Champions League within 8-10 years.

Posters in this thread have said we should be aiming for top 6 next season if we're promoted. You even quoted and challenged one such poster yesterday for talking about a top 4 finish.

4 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

You seem to be back pedalling.

My first post said I was going to wait and see. I've been consistent with that.

Also, I'd have no need to backpedal. I know and trust my source, and I've no need to engage in a messageboard-based dick measuring competition with strangers. I feel like there are plenty of posters in here who know who I am and what I'm about.

I've had some info, I've shared it with a disclaimer and my own take on it. You can choose what you want to do with that information - just as I did.

• Like 3

Just now, Dick said:

Thanks for sharing @NurembergVillan, appreciate it. I don't agree with it all (I guess there may be trouble getting funds, but think Tony has good finance if we can make it work) - but appreciate you have taken time to share info with us

It's hopefully something from nothing, and I'm not one for gossip, but it seemed worth at least putting it out there.

• Like 1

Â