Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

10 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Not sure about top 6 for a while to be honest - they all have huge money and attendances in comparison to us and similar to Everton I see   7th or 8 th place being as good as it gets for a long time to come .

i seriously doubt xia has the cash to aim for a top 6 place anytime soon . 

Aspirations this is football and not like any other business - all fans dare to dream don't they ?

5 minutes ago, terrytini said:

The argument that because things seem to have worked out alright now, people who thought Bruce shoukd go were ‘wrong’ (??!) is the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever read on here, and that’s saying something.

People held views - either way - based on how things were at the time the views were held. That’s nothing to do with Right and Wrong.

Its also impossible to say whether we would be doing better or worse had he been sacked at any point in 2017.

What we know, and ALL we know, is that there were legitimate arguments for wanting him gone, and legitimate arguments for wanting him to stay. He stayed, and it’s worked out well as it happens ( at present).

I for one hope he remains Manager for 10 years ( because he could only do so by doing well) and am loving the fact that we are now playing well, are good to watch, and getting Points. Equally, if our Form, Points, and Style dry up I will Form views based on what I see then.

Terry, your post makes perfect, logical sense, and is now the most ridiculous out of place post in this thread. :P

Edited by AJ
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

From what I've heard, it's from a reliable source but I'm certainly going to wait and see, is that the good Dr might be all fart and no shit.

Could you expand on that a bit? Do you mean that Xia has no money, or he's not willing to spend any money, or he's not that ambitious?

10 minutes ago, Dick said:

It’s funny, those who had doubts are the ones being positive about things. And those who claim to have been alongside Bruce all the way are spending time polluting the thread with angst against those being positive.

This thread is being ruined by those who are gloating. STOP IT. 

I think you and the others who had doubts but are now being positive need to stop polluting the thread with angst against those polluting the thread with angst against those being positive because they thought they were polluting the thread with angst by being negative when they were being positive,

There, I think that clears it up.......:ph34r:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AJ said:

That is fair, and in that situation, a lot of people would feel that way, and I would be among the minority who would not count himself among them.

Consider this. If a drastic capitulation does happen and we don't make the play offs, or even if we lose in the playoffs, with the progress we have made with the team so far, are we truly better off with a brand new manager who feels he needs to start from scratch, or to stick with Steve Bruce, who knows the team well?

Bearing in mind also, new managers tend to be a bit of a lottery. We might get one who hits the ground running, or we could have one that is a Redknapp in disguise that leaves a path of destruction from the inside out.

this all along has been my reasoning for keeping him...i'm less keen on entering that lottery personally. for us to drop out of playoffs now would mean something has gone seriously wrong and the dressing room has been lost (or a 3 month long flu bug has hit B6 and ruled out most of our first team, which i could forgive)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Could you expand on that a bit? Do you mean that Xia has no money, or he's not willing to spend any money, or he's not that ambitious?

What I was told - and usual disclaimer that it's heresay at this stage - is that he's not as rich as we thought when he bought the club, and also that what money he does have is going to be very hard to get out of China because of the change in legislation over there since he bought the club.

He certainly seems to be very ambitious, and I've not heard that we'd be going up and looking for free transfers, but the notion of Top 4 and mega money signings would be pretty wide of the mark.

The PL is now a place where £20m doesn't even buy you one Jonny Evans.

So, to bring it back on topic, whoever is manager when we're next in the PL - we'll need to factor in what he's allowed to spend.  At this stage I'm not taking it for granted that we get promoted and there's £500m in a suitcase with "Steve's Transfer Kitty" written down the side of it, even if that was kind of implied at the time of the takeover.

36 minutes ago, terrytini said:

The argument that because things seem to have worked out alright now, people who thought Bruce shoukd go were ‘wrong’ (??!) is the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever read on here, and that’s saying something.

People held views - either way - based on how things were at the time the views were held. That’s nothing to do with Right and Wrong.

Its also impossible to say whether we would be doing better or worse had he been sacked at any point in 2017.

What we know, and ALL we know, is that there were legitimate arguments for wanting him gone, and legitimate arguments for wanting him to stay. He stayed, and it’s worked out well as it happens ( at present).

I for one hope he remains Manager for 10 years ( because he could only do so by doing well) and am loving the fact that we are now playing well, are good to watch, and getting Points. Equally, if our Form, Points, and Style dry up I will Form views based on what I see then.

I know i will be in the minority but i think when people wanted Bruce to go they were right.  Bruce didnt have Steve Agnew at the time.  Without Agnew coming in at the start of December i don't think we would be where we are now.  The two of them are a partnership, no good without the other.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

What I was told - and usual disclaimer that it's heresay at this stage - is that he's not as rich as we thought when he bought the club, and also that what money he does have is going to be very hard to get out of China because of the change in legislation over there since he bought the club.

He certainly seems to be very ambitious, and I've not heard that we'd be going up and looking for free transfers, but the notion of Top 4 and mega money signings would be pretty wide of the mark.

The PL is now a place where £20m doesn't even buy you one Jonny Evans.

So, to bring it back on topic, whoever is manager when we're next in the PL - we'll need to factor in what he's allowed to spend.  At this stage I'm not taking it for granted that we get promoted and there's £500m in a suitcase with "Steve's Transfer Kitty" written down the side of it, even if that was kind of implied at the time of the takeover.

I am open to being stood corrected, but a club not having any money to spend in the PL, is that a reason why managers sometimes choose not to stick with a club, including Steve Bruce?

If, and big if, this is true about Tony, if we are promoted, then we are basically screwed.

By the time we are promoted, with inflation we can forget about Jonny Evans. 20 million wouldn't buy three of Luis Suarez' teeth.

2 hours ago, Dave J said:

That's a different argument entirely and you could say that the club chose the right course now - however  I feel that it is wrong to criticise those who called for his head before Christmas- there were many on here doing this and if the club had moved to depose of him as manager - I don't think many would have viewed this as a major loss imo.

Not exactly critising anyone in my post Dave just highlighting they should be praised for not pulling the trigger as I suspect we wouldn't be 2nd now if we did.

2 hours ago, Dave J said:

Yes I would agree unless of course the wheels totally come off and I think pretty quickly a groundswell of change would also follow - not that I think it will now - once a juggernaut of a club get on a roll it's often difficult to halt momentum ( he says nervously)

That I think we both can agree with dave

13 minutes ago, AJ said:

I am open to being stood corrected, but a club not having any money to spend in the PL, is that a reason why managers sometimes choose not to stick with a club, including Steve Bruce?

If, and big if, this is true about Tony, if we are promoted, then we are basically screwed.

By the time we are promoted, with inflation we can forget about Jonny Evans. 20 million wouldn't buy three of Luis Suarez' teeth.

They're pretty big teeth!

Let's not get sidetracked by this.  It could be nothing, and we're at a time where everything about the club is shiny and exciting.

To reiterate - I've not been told we've no money to spend.  There's a big difference between having nothing, and having the clout to challenge.  I suspect we'll be somewhere between those two poles.

Let's keep this on Steve Bruce anyway.

15 minutes ago, AJ said:

In all honesty, I wouldn't be surprised to see SB walk at the end of the season anyway, particularly if we get promoted as he will leave on a high.

The vociferous noise against him has obviously gotten to him as he's felt the need to reference it on more than one occasion in interviews.

I doubt he feels any great love for the fan base and may seek to have a break (following recent tragedies) or go somewhere he's valued.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

I know i will be in the minority but i think when people wanted Bruce to go they were right.  Bruce didnt have Steve Agnew at the time.  Without Agnew coming in at the start of December i don't think we would be where we are now.  The two of them are a partnership, no good without the other.

Who was it that wanted Steve Agnew, and waited until he was available, and is almost certainly the reason Agnew is at the club?

Coaches and backroom staff are part of the manager's remit. The fact that Bruce got Agnew and has benefitted us is yet more reason to say those of us who wanted bruce out were wrong.

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

well said, and I completely agree.

4 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

In all honesty, I wouldn't be surprised to see SB walk at the end of the season anyway, particularly if we get promoted as he will leave on a high.

The vociferous noise against him has obviously gotten to him as he's felt the need to reference it on more than one occasion in interviews.

I doubt he feels any great love for the fan base and may seek to have a break (following recent tragedies) or go somewhere he's valued.

I do fear it is quite possible that he might quit at the end of the season, regardless where we finish.

I think he alluded to in the past that Villa may be his last club. In light of recent tragedies, it might be the right time for him to walk, so he can focus on spending time with his family. Blood is thicker than football, and Steve Bruce would be no different.

But for now, he is our manager, and is an important part of the Villa team. I will do my best as a fan and support him and the players by doing what I do best. Sit back, strap in and enjoying the ride.

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I think its admirable that xia and wyness ignored the fan pressure and stuck with bruce. It has reaped the rewards and bruce I think wants to repay that fair by taking us back to where we belong.

Thank god we didn't do a blose and sack rowett 

To a certain extent they did but they did send out a thinly veiled warning that they weren’t happy. Since then and with the signing of Agnew results and performances have improved.

• Like 2

Â