Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

2 hours ago, AshVilla said:

Brought crashing back down to earth today.

My prediction has always been that we would finish in the top six and fail to go through in the playoffs with Bruce finally getting the sack.

Can you imagine us playing Fulham at Wembley? Even with Grealish and Adomah back i wouldn`t fancy our chances.

I'm not looking forward to the fire sales next season.

With Grealish on the pitch we would have won today. Fulham were nothing special until they scored . Bruce played his hand but didn't try and replace Grealish like for  like , he changed the formation to suit.

It was a tight call but tbh and with   hindsight he should have been brave and played Landsbury or O Hare for Grealish and Green for Adomah. Hogan cut a lonely figure up front but if he had and quality support I don't think we would have lost.

To summarise, we was our own down fall today , we never set out to win , just set up not to lose. When we went behind we had little chance of changing the game .

Ref was poor today and Fulham play the dark side of the game very well 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, tinker said:

With Grealish on the pitch we would have won today. Fulham were nothing special until they scored . Bruce played his hand but didn't try and replace Grealish like for  like , he changed the formation to suit.

It was a tight call but tbh and with   hindsight he should have been brave and played Landsbury or O Hare for Grealish and Green for Adomah. Hogan cut a lonely figure up front but if he had and quality support I don't think we would have lost.

To summarise, we was our own down fall today , we never set out to win , just set up not to lose. When we went behind we had little chance of changing the game .

Ref was poor today and Fulham play the dark side of the game very well 

Pretty good comments although green is out too with a hamstring injury so wasn’t an option today .

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Pretty good comments although green is out too with a hamstring injury so wasn’t an option today .

Never realised Green was injured. Maybe switch to 2 up front then , with Davies and Hogan. Fingers crossed we can get some players back of the injury list. 

If we have  a full squad, no injuries,  it would be the strongest in the championship by a country mile. We should have no fears at all going into the playoffs but tbh we shouldn't be in the playoffs to start with . UTV 

4 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

I think Bruce has to shoulder responsibility for today's loss.

Wrong squad selection, and players obviously uncomfortable in the roles they were asked to play.

Anyway, we are still up there and still games to play.

Completely nullified them in the first half - yet another injury, this time to Elmohamady, completely changed the game.  Fulham scored with their first shot on target and also their second - both goals were gifts really.

They're a decent side, they've won 7 in a row at home now.  However, if the team who finished the first half started the second, I don't think we'd have lost that.  Granted, it would have been 0-0 as we didn't look like scoring.

48 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

Face facts guys. When we play shit teams like SHA we win. When we play half decent teams like Fulham we lose. 

I'm not sure how you define "half decent", but seeing as you use "like Fulham" as a description and we've already beaten Fulham this season, it doesn't really make much sense.
it's true that we don't have a great record against the better teams in the league, but as we've played most of them away I'd wager it will look a lot healthier by the end of the season.

We won't make automatic promotion with a dinosaur like Bruce in charge

I think we have a very good chance. We sit 2 points off second, occupied by an overperforming Cardiff side who are unlikely to keep it up for the whole season. This is despite us having a supposed dinosaur in charge.

no matter how much you messiah hunters think we will.

I genuinely don't know what this means. 

If we do then I will eat my hat and humble pie.

I doubt you will. More than likely you'll invent a reason to take the credit away from the manager. But I'm just guessing now.

There’s an argument Lansbury would make more sense than Birkir, who has repeatedly shown he can only play as a DM.

But really other than that I’m not seeing why Bruce shoukd be criticised.

We didn’t set up negatively, and we didn’t look troubled at half time......it could easily have ended up our 4th 1-0 in a row.

Fulham had Won 7 and Drawn 2 of their last 9, and we were without 2 of our 3 key offensive players...AND gifted them the all important 2nd goal.

As for this idea that Fulham play a way we cannot compete with, nah, not for me. They had some good moments of pass and move but rewatch last week and see us doing so too. The rest of it, the 70% possession knocking it around means nothing to me.

I DO hope Bruce has seen enough of Birkir and Onomah in midfield ( other than Birkir as DM).

• Like 3

6 hours ago, villalad21 said:

bruce out

Yeah. 3rd in the league, 2points behind 2nd & before today having won 7 games in a row. I think the only possible course of action is to sack the manager :crylaugh:

VT, this is what happens when you legalize marijuana over there in Cali :D 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, pacbuddies said:

Face facts guys. When we play shit teams like SHA we win. When we play half decent teams like Fulham we lose. We won't make automatic promotion with a dinosaur like Bruce in charge no matter how much you messiah hunters think we will. If we do then I will eat my hat and humble pie.

This is the EXACT type of comment that wound people up earlier in the season. Its too early for a "I was right you were wrong" debate, and I think a lot of people were mostly on the fence, judging Bruce by how the team was performing, hence so many people losing faith by the end of December, but it was the absolute certainty displayed such as here which caused so much friction. This comment isn't a "I don't believe we'll get promoted" which is fair for anyone to say and a fair debate can ensue on the back of it, it's a "we DEFINITELY will not get promoted. Bruce is a dinosaur that simply isn't capable, and anyone that disagrees with me is a moron", and as far as calling out posts like this as wrong, it's not too early to do that, because whether we go up or not no one can definitively say yet what will happen, these type of comments and people that make them are wrong, whatever happens 

• Like 3

I am not opposed to playing defensive football, but when we do those defenders have to defend.....we seem to do well most of the game and then have a senior moment.

That is not good defending.....its poor concentration.

also....

They have a young left back of 17, showing us how to do it......sorry, can't put it any other way.

we have young players, we are forever making excuses for their age.....not ready yet, too young, give them a chance.

I actually think we have no one else at the club who can cover for Jack.....No playmaker who can hold his own.

Edited by TRO

Too harsh @TRO in my view. All players make mistakes, and Championship players make more than top players.

Also we weren’t really playing defensively.

That left back you refer to is going right to the top.

And I suspect you are right about Jack......but again, there’s an awful lot of clubs who don’t have a backup playmaker.

13 hours ago, terrytini said:

Too harsh @TRO in my view. All players make mistakes, and Championship players make more than top players.

Also we weren’t really playing defensively.

That left back you refer to is going right to the top.

And I suspect you are right about Jack......but again, there’s an awful lot of clubs who don’t have a backup playmaker.

Ok Terry, just having my moment of being pissed off....I just don't think they are that good(Fulham)....but thats my problem.

Edited by TRO

6 hours ago, Dick said:

As I said at the time, I disagreed with the boasting, it ruined the positivity in here. But I also think we should hold fire. Bruce did get it wrong today - without two of our best players, but he has also got a lot right recently. I'll only worry if it becomes a trend, which at the moment it isn't.

You're spot on again Dick great post.

Let's not take anything away from Fulham here, it was a pretty level game right up until we had to make further changes - which weakened us further if you will, when we where already limping into this game anyway. They eventually capitalised in a very scrappy game.

It was no suprise we fell away after the first goal, the second goal just summed up it was a bad day at the office and you just wanted to blow the final whistle once that second goal went in.

We do have to re-group and restore winning ways on Tuesday night. I am confident that we will.

Like I posted earlier ,it boils down to this, promotion = success. No promotion = failure . whatever the scenario come the end of the season, only then can we judge the manager. You would of thought we were already promoted judging by the recent euphoria and the smugness of certain posters, but let's be honest, yes there's been a vast improvement in terms of results and performances, but until we're promoted,  only then can we party.

• Like 4

We have had a marvelleous run, but **** me we are capable of some stupidity at times....when jeff stelling said to charlie Nicholas what was all that, referring to Johnstones attempt at a kick out.

I thought, I'm glad its not just me......words fail me.

bad moment, bad day.....not for me, unprofessional, stupidity.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I have a bit of sympathy for his defensive team selection today.

Calls for Davis, Green and Grabban to start today. Green has played one game since August, Grabban hasn't started a game since December. I like Davis but he hasn't scored a goal since I don't know when.

Calls for RHM and O'Hare to be involved, they were involved v Peterbrough and we weren't great that day. They really should've been loaned out in January.

Ultimately majority of managers would in our situation plump for experienced players to play today particularly as Fulham are a pretty good team at this level.

Heck, Bjarni and Hogan have finally starting playing well last six weeks.

We lost away to a good and inform team. It happens particularly as we weren't at full strength.

Can't argue with any of this VC.

I felt we had to setup defensively today given the absences and had we not, we would have witnessed a much worse result imo.

I also cannot understand some of the hype surrounding the calls to give most of our youngsters a chance all of a sudden - Green, Davis, Hayes etc.

I would argue in favour of this if we where not in contention for promotion or play-offs in any way while also safe of relegation. However, while every game from here on in is absoloutely vital and a cup final in their own way, they are not friendlys nor the time to be experimenting with youth just yet and should have all been loaned out in January.

Can you imagine the meltdown this thread would go into if Bruce decided to play Green over Snodgrass, or Davis ahead of Hogan/Grabban etc. and we are thumped!

Unless we suddenly ran into a sheer crisis of injuries then I'd understand, but right now I don't think it is the time to be experimenting at such a critical stage of the season.

I will add that Onomah offers nothing and I hope Bruce is not serious when he is commenting about doing everything in his power to sign Onomah, for me this guy needs to be sent back to Spurs and would maybe give the place instead to one of the youngsters - but not all of them.

7 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

I think Bruce has to shoulder responsibility for today's loss.

Wrong squad selection, and players obviously uncomfortable in the roles they were asked to play.

Anyway, we are still up there and still games to play.

To be honest mate regardless how we setup today it was always going to be one of them horrible scrappy games.

The only things I would have perhaps altered would have been Grabban instead of Hogan and Elmo switching positions with Tuanzebe? but otherwise it was a nightmare.

3 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Knives out for Brucey again, I see!

Obviously can't see the flags still at half mast!

One result has not ended our season has it? - he's just delivered a run of wins that has not been seen here in 28 years!

He has a real heavy day on Monday before another massive must win game 24hrs later on Tuesday night!

Lets cut him some slack and give the man a break for f**k sake.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

Â