Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Maybe some feel in not firing Bruce he’s protecting his own arse rather putting the clubs interests first - the longer the club fail to act the more the finger will be pointed at wyness for not taking action 

I don't buy this at all. If Bruce keeps doing crap, then by keeping him, he'll only be covering his ass for the short term. Whereas if he sacks him and brings in another manager, he'd surely be praised for being proactive and (hopefully) bringing in someone who does better. It does Wyness no good to keep Bruce in place, if he thinks that it's time he went.

What is more likely, is that Wyness considers that just two games ago we were in the thick of the play-off places and that with a few more wins we could have tried to make up some ground on the top 2, and therefore it's slightly premature to sack Bruce right now, because if we do well in the next few games we'll be back in the mix - and that could potentially be better, this season, than starting over again with a new manager. (Of course, if we lose/ draw the next few, then the calls for Bruce's head will become louder and louder, and I doubt even Wyness will be able to say that his chances of getting us back in the play-off places are realistic, so that'll probably be when the trigger is pulled).

• Like 3

Interesting  comment here on mail comments under the article suggests Bruce maybe doesn’t have the dressing room -

6 hours ago

Askmeonvilla

lads I agree with all of you,the last 5 matches have been horrendous Bruce has his pals that get picked week in week out he has great young players he won’t take a punt on,i met glenn whelan 6 weeks ago a very nice bloke and he told me he didn’t think we would get promoted this year he expressed clearly his reasons why which when he explained them were along the lines of what’s goin on the pitch at the moment .i can tell you I was dissapionted it was hard to swallow so early in the season.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/steve-bruce-were-only-week-14083519

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, vreitti said:

Agreed. Just thought I'd give him an idea of what to do, as he isn't able to come up with anything new on his own...

As I know he frequently visits this board...

Balls, my covers been blown.

I thought pretending to be a Bristol City fan would throw everyone off the trail.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I don't buy this at all. If Bruce keeps doing crap, then by keeping him, he'll only be covering his ass for the short term. Whereas if he sacks him and brings in another manager, he'd surely be praised for being proactive and (hopefully) bringing in someone who does better. It does Wyness no good to keep Bruce in place, if he thinks that it's time he went.

What is more likely, is that Wyness considers that just two games ago we were in the thick of the play-off places and that with a few more wins we could have tried to make up some ground on the top 2, and therefore it's slightly premature to sack Bruce right now, because if we do well in the next few games we'll be back in the mix - and that could potentially be better, this season, than starting over again with a new manager. (Of course, if we lose/ draw the next few, then the calls for Bruce's head will become louder and louder, and I doubt even Wyness will be able to say that his chances of getting us back in the play-off places are realistic, so that'll probably be when the trigger is pulled).

What is the point of giving him another few games and then sack9ng him when the transfer window has gone - the time to act is now and no surprise boro and sheff weds have acted a week before the window opens - wyness is obviously hoping it comes good -if not then he will look bad for recommending a manager whose failed - that comes with the territory - better to admit the mistake now and act swiftly to appoint a new manager .

But @Eastie, as Stevo has mentioned, hiring Steve Bruce seemed like the obvious and clever choice when we got rid of RDM. Wyness is surely not going to take too much flack for his appointment, because his history does (or did) speak for itself.

The point in giving him a few more games, will be that Wyness and Xia will be expecting him to pull some results out of the bag, and perhaps go on a little run, like we did the last time that the 'This isn't good enough' shouts got this loud. If we continue with draws and losses, then the gamble won't have paid off, and we'll have lost a week or so that could have been given to the new manager. But, then again, with us so close to the FFP limit, there's not a great deal that a new manager can do in the January window anyway, short of a loan or a swap deal by getting rid of some existing players.

Don't get me wrong, I'm as angry as everyone else at the crap we're being served up, but some people seem to be making out that the Championship should be a walk in the park. It isn't, even with the money we've spent. I think I read that QPR's wage bill is up there in the Top 10-20 in the world right now. That shows us that 'money spent' doesn't, unfortunately, always result in a higher league position. So when we see that we've been in the play-off places for the past few months, and have only just dropped out, you can see why Wyness/Xia may have been reluctant to pull the trigger on Bruce just yet.

4 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

But @Eastie, as Stevo has mentioned, hiring Steve Bruce seemed like the obvious and clever choice when we got rid of RDM. Wyness is surely not going to take too much flack for his appointment, because his history does (or did) speak for itself.

The point in giving him a few more games, will be that Wyness and Xia will be expecting him to pull some results out of the bag, and perhaps go on a little run, like we did the last time that the 'This isn't good enough' shouts got this loud. If we continue with draws and losses, then the gamble won't have paid off, and we'll have lost a week or so that could have been given to the new manager. But, then again, with us so close to the FFP limit, there's not a great deal that a new manager can do in the January window anyway, short of a loan or a swap deal by getting rid of some existing players.

Don't get me wrong, I'm as angry as everyone else at the crap we're being served up, but some people seem to be making out that the Championship should be a walk in the park. It isn't, even with the money we've spent. I think I read that QPR's wage bill is up there in the Top 10-20 in the world right now. That shows us that 'money spent' doesn't, unfortunately, always result in a higher league position. So when we see that we've been in the play-off places for the past few months, and have only just dropped out, you can see why Wyness/Xia may have been reluctant to pull the trigger on Bruce just yet.

I get your argument but for me the tipping point should have been reached - Bruce has had around 50 games here now and I see nothing to suggest things improving if he stays - a new manager bounce may well benefit us - I personally do not believe Bruce deserves any more time and the sooner he goes the better . 

‘It’s not the hiring of him that wyness is copping flak for its the keeping of him when most feel the tipping point has been reached . 

‘He has had long enough .

Edited by Eastie

17 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Interesting  comment here on mail comments under the article suggests Bruce maybe doesn’t have the dressing room -

6 hours ago

Askmeonvilla

lads I agree with all of you,the last 5 matches have been horrendous Bruce has his pals that get picked week in week out he has great young players he won’t take a punt on,i met glenn whelan 6 weeks ago a very nice bloke and he told me he didn’t think we would get promoted this year he expressed clearly his reasons why which when he explained them were along the lines of what’s goin on the pitch at the moment .i can tell you I was dissapionted it was hard to swallow so early in the season.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/steve-bruce-were-only-week-14083519

Ah well, that clears it up then. I did wonder what the problem was, but I never thought it was anything to do with what's going on on the pitch.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Eastie said:

Can’t believe the shit he comes out with -

“We’re only a week away from a crisis at Aston Villa. Everything is a crisis if we don’t win. It was only two or three weeks ago that we were in the thick of it.

"We’re having our blip. Cardiff have had it, Sheffield (United) have had it, Derby had theirs at the start. It’s all to play for. “We’ll be better on Saturday because I don’t think we could be any worse.”

Well this statement shows you everything about Bruce that you need to know. So every club has had their blip have they Steve? Did we capitalise on that Steve? No? Oh ok so how are we going to catch up with them now that their blips are over?

11 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Well this statement shows you everything about Bruce that you need to know. So every club has had their blip have they Steve? Did we capitalise on that Steve? No? Oh ok so how are we going to catch up with them now that their blips are over?

Actually, in our case, the blip is when we play well.  

• Haha 1

Where's the objective crtitism from the press?  There's none, the local media are hopeless sycinfants. The mail is next to usless , the sooner a rival newspaper or online platform serving the Midlands is born the better for us all. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TRO said:

But Terry, why are they not top of the league.....because they can't defend in comparison, to their offensive capability.

To get out of this league, you have to be able to do both. 

I understand the constraints Dean Smith has, but that does not automatically mean, with money, he will be better.....it doesn't always work like that.I am not sure he is right for us.

I do get the notion, this can't continue, but cutting our nose off to spite our face is not the answer either.

I do think we are stuck between a rock and a hard place.....and the club need to come up with some honest comments and transparency, to us.

I do have a change of heart and I don't think we will do anything to write home about with Steve Bruce....he looks a lost soul right now.If these players are good enough which many fans think they are, they certainly allow that superior ability to be negated by sides committed to movement, passion and desire, very, very easily.

I have huge doubts about many of our players ( and i am not just talking ability)and the manager has to take responsibility for that.

That’s easy. There are other, better, sides ?

I don’t see why it’s a mystery to you that better coached sides give us trouble, it’s clear as day to me. Of course the players look less than their best compared to poorer players well drilled. That’s a common feature of football throughout history isn’t it ?

Give your players the coaching some other sides get and we would be 10 points better off.  That’s my view.

• Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, terrytini said:

That’s easy. There are other, better, sides ?

I don’t see why it’s a mystery to you that better coached sides give us trouble, it’s clear as day to me. Of course the players look less than their best compared to poorer players well drilled. That’s a common feature of football throughout history isn’t it ?

Give your players the coaching some other sides get and we would be 10 points better off.  That’s my view.

We have seen what our players did in other sides where they excelled  until regressing at villa

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1

Brentford have probably one player who would walk into our first team (Canos). The difference is that they are so much better organised, have a clear identity and know what they are doing. Our lot are utterly clueless, play far too deep, do not have anywhere near enough intensity on and off the ball and are playing far too many percentage passes. This is a reflection of the play-if-safe and downright clueless manager we have at our football club. Time and time again I'm both embarrassed by the football we play and the 'results' we are getting, just not good enough all around.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sne said:

Bruce is almost 60, he's not going to change.

If anything he'll get even more cautious the worse things get because that is what he feels comfortable with.

Safety, experienced heads, defense before attack, and if that doesn't work, even more caution.

Isn't that exhilarating ?

Just read the following, it about sums up how bad things are, and how we need a change:

Popular bookmaker, bet365, have been reflecting on the result at Griffin Park, highlighting that in Villa’s 18 months in the Championship, they have spent more on transfers than Brentford have in their entire history.

• Sad 3

Â