Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

8 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I don’t remember us having a proper plan since the Seventies !

There was certainly no long term planning under MON.

Managers rarely get time these days to plan long term - it’s a results business but I find it amazing how o hare wasn’t even on the bench last night  with two right backs on the bench 

4 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Because we are always using sticking plaster, our player recruitment over the years has been pants.

The scouting system comes up with what, exactly.

When you make comparisons with other clubs, it makes you squirm with envy.

8.5 mill for Coutinho

I'm not saying he would have come to us, but thats what can be done.

Don't mention Leicester.....we just transfer free's better than what we have.

You just have to look at who we let go for peanuts.....its frightening.

Its not just money, its just simply lacking judgment.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

Because we are always using sticking plaster, our player recruitment over the years has been pants.

The scouting system comes up with what, exactly.

When you make comparisons with other clubs, it makes you squirm with envy.

8.5 mill for Coutinho

I'm not saying he would have come to us, but thats what can be done.

Don't mention Leicester.....we just transfer free's better than what we have.

You just have to look at who we let go for peanuts.....its frightening.

Its not just money, its just simply lacking judgment.

Bizarre that we were relegated and finished bottom yet had a higher wage bill than the champions .

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, terrytini said:

It wasn't long term as in 10 years or more but it was a plan with a manager to build something. Since then it's been short term fixes just looking to survive in the league, then cut costs until we were relegated. Then it's short term spending to try and get back up. 

If we fail this year i hope we stop this and put something in place to build. 

When Canos was interviewed after the game, he looked fired, happy, bubbly and passionate, full of the joys of spring, despite a **** night.......most of ours after a game look solemn, pensive, broody and full of melancholy.

There is bound to be some villa fan somewhere that knows Dean Smith.

It would be very interesting to hear his rendition of whats wrong with this Villa Team.....I'll bet he knows more than you think.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

When Canos was interviewed after the game, he looked fired, happy, bubbly and passionate, full of the joys of spring, despite a **** night.......most of ours after a game look solemn, pensive, broody and full of melancholy.

That's exactly how they should look playing that God awful football .

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Absolutely right.

words fail me as to what I thought of the game......I didn't actually think we could stoop that low.

From what I could from the stream I watched, I actually thought we were our usual selves. The way it's been ever since Bruce took over. We were simply outplayed by a better football team last night. I seriously struggle to remember a game these past 15 months where I'd have thought afterwards, "wow we played some good stuff there". Says it all really. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Terry, Lee Hendrie reckons not.....He says the coaching is ok.

Thats my point.....we see the **** but what really is causing it......We all know the manager is responsible, but how many times have we said the same thing and how many times will we say it again.....somebody close to the club knows.

There has to be a common denominator.

(By the way I never really rated Lee Hendrie,but so what, but he should know when coaching is ok and when its not)

I would never trust a former player in such matters. What is he gonna say, out in the open? Furthermore we don't know his agenda, if he has one...

2 hours ago, USA_Villa said:

Just read the following, it about sums up how bad things are, and how we need a change:

Popular bookmaker, bet365, have been reflecting on the result at Griffin Park, highlighting that in Villa’s 18 months in the Championship, they have spent more on transfers than Brentford have in their entire history.

And Liverpool have spent more on one player today than we've spent in that 18 months.  It's all relative.

1 hour ago, Eastie said:

Managers rarely get time these days to plan long term

Yes, and as well as having enough time in the job, they need to be working in the context of a clear direction and strategic plan, which must come from the Board.

We have a short term appointment and no apparent strategic plan that I can see.

While Bruce has done poorly given the players and money he has had, I don't think he can be criticised for the lack of long term planning.  That is squarely down to Xia.

2 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

And Liverpool have spent more on one player today than we've spent in that 18 months.  It's all relative.

While I appriecate it's all relative the key difference is Liverpool haven't failed to beat us in 4 games and been totally out played by us in the other 3. 

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

I see no reason to hint at some sor5 of behind the scenes darkness ?

There could be, but so could ther3vbe at most Clubs.

Cause or effect in Cotterils case .?

Just going on our own eyes is enough for now IMO - we are poorly coached and overly negative.

Thats the Manager.

I wish I was as sure as you, that we are poorly coached.....but for me that is to be established.

We may look as though we are poorly coached, which is entirely different, Terry.....and I would agree,we do look like we are, because I could not believe a pro footballer could be that bad on his own volition.....could he? like most of ours.

I mean are we playing that defensive or just being beaten back and retreating by players more up for it.....we lose just about every header (other than the centre halves) and lose out on so many one on one challenges.

I am not trying to be funny, just merely asking the question.....because most games I see, we just keep losing ground to players who seem better equipped to beat us individually....usually physically.

Please don't misconstrue my comments.....Its not me being sanctimonious.....I am just unsure, is it the players? or is it the coaching?.....because lets be fair, we have changed oodles of coaches,managers and players.

yes some have played elsewhere, but that could be the players they played with work harder.

Â