Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

I doubt we would have beaten a full strength Preston tonight. 

The first goal was just ridiculous defending although, it was a good header from Chester. The second goal was a sloppy pass from their player but, to be fair, the three Villa players involved did well to end the mistake with a goal.

They should have had a penalty and, if it wasn't for a few last ditch tackles from our defenders, they would have had a few more chances to score. 

I hoped the two goals would mean the shackles would come off but they didn't and it wasn't the easiest of games to watch second half because there was always this nagging doubt that someone would slip up, Preston would score and, go on to at least snatch a point. 

We need to be more decisive and more attacking. It's ok keeping it shut like that when gifted two goals but what will we do when we go in against a team that had a solid defence? 

If Bruce lacks confidence in the players' ability to keep it tight at the back well, that's his and the board's fault for buying those players. 

• Like 3

No complaints about that - a good combination of excellent defence and a prepardness to commit forwards at the right time.

Its been a long wait but if we get that type of performance from him for the majority of the rest of the season we will all be happy and we will go up.

• Like 1

I don't care whether Bruce stays or goes - seriously. I understand that we would have looked like a good side tonight but against what? Their team was ripped apart defensively and we managed to score two goals from mistakes and hardly created any clear cut chances ourselves.

I just wish the shackles could be taken off and allow the players to express more freedom. Had we done that tonight we could have gone on to win by 4 or 5 but it just seems like the first instinct is to be defensive. 

They clearly should have had a penalty and, had they score it, we may have seen a different result tonight. Had that happened, maybe the comments in the Bruce thread wouldn't have been so favourable tonight!

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, villarocker said:

The first goal was just ridiculous defending although, it was a good header from Chester. The second goal was a sloppy pass from their player but, to be fair, the three Villa players involved did well to end the mistake with a goal.

They should have had a penalty and, if it wasn't for a few last ditch tackles from our defenders, they would have had a few more chances to score. 

I hoped the two goals would mean the shackles would come off but they didn't and it wasn't the easiest of games to watch second half because there was always this nagging doubt that someone would slip up, Preston would score and, go on to at least snatch a point. 

We need to be more decisive and more attacking. It's ok keeping it shut like that when gifted two goals but what will we do when we go in against a team that had a solid defence? 

If Bruce lacks confidence in the players' ability to keep it tight at the back well, that's his and the board's fault for buying those players. 

Well “ you can only beat what’s in front of you “, and we did.

We weren’t full strength either, missing Kodja, Grealish, Lansbury, Green.

Im not sure headed goals off corners are “ gifts” - or if they are they are common ones.

The second goal was a consequence of pressure, and then of ability and men gettingbforward, that’s good play isn’t it ? Yes they made a mistake but that’s not “ luck” it’s just part of the game.

I very much think Bruce has been too defensive for too long, but for me the approach was fine tonight. Many Managers sit tight at two up and go for sides on the break and fans often think “ no, go for a third” but I reckon these Managers know the stats. 

And I think it’s the opposite to your last sentence now, I think it’s BECAUSE he has faith in the ability of the team as a whole to defend well that he choose that method to see out the game.

• Like 2

Just now, villarocker said:

I don't care whether Bruce stays or goes - seriously. I understand that we would have looked like a good side tonight but against what? Their team was ripped apart defensively and we managed to score two goals from mistakes and hardly created any clear cut chances ourselves.

I just wish the shackles could be taken off and allow the players to express more freedom. Had we done that tonight we could have gone on to win by 4 or 5 but it just seems like the first instinct is to be defensive. 

They clearly should have had a penalty and, had they score it, we may have seen a different result tonight. Had that happened, maybe the comments in the Bruce thread wouldn't have been so favourable tonight!

I have complained long and loudly at Bruce over “ shackling” our players but I didn’t see that tonight I must say.

I mean as one example we had Hutton on a 70 yard run 10 minutes from the end !!

And we played a really good period of positive stuff first half.

I would say he got the balance spot on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

If only we hadn't had a bad start, we would now be possibly leading the pack .

having already played wolves, bristol and cardiff away.

we are still well positioned.....for the marathon.

We did have a bad start though and Bruce must shoulder the blame for that. 

Additionally, Your  “well positioned” is my “Some way off what is required”

A satisfying win tonight, as we know the squad should be well capable of. 

21 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

We did have a bad start though and Bruce must shoulder the blame for that. 

Additionally, Your  “well positioned” is my “Some way off what is required”

A satisfying win tonight, as we know the squad should be well capable of. 

I'm sure SB would welcome your satisfaction.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, TRO said:

If only we hadn't had a bad start, we would now be possibly leading the pack .

having already played wolves, bristol and cardiff away.

we are still well positioned.....for the marathon.

I’m not sure I consider being behind Sheff United and Bristol well positioned. We are also some way short of the top two which surely has to be the aim.

So progress but well positioned, not particularly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

6 wins 3 draws & 1 defeat from the last 10 games with 7 clean sheets along the way. It's almost like he knows what he's doing or something...

No, he's stumbled upon it.:)

3 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I’m not sure I consider being behind Sheff United and Bristol well positioned. We are also some way short of the top two which surely has to be the aim.

So progress but well positioned, not particularly.

I would prefer to give a bit of credit to those teams....and a bit of credit to ourselves for the come back from the poor start.

Edited by TRO

3 hours ago, TRO said:

Now, now.

i think its still fair cooment about our ball control/ retention.....but a well organised and professional job.

I'm shocked you could respond this way after I was going to let you manage the club !!!!!   (with me of course)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, villarocker said:

Mate i'm one of the "Brouters" but not even I think I can go with you on this one.

The players looked very up for it tonight, unlike many other games we've seen.

They played with they type of intensity and intent I feel which means they would have given as good as they got, or better even if Preston were at full strength.

Now obviously it wasn't perfect, and the deficiencies you mention are true, however, it's football.

Some weeks we will be the team decimated by injuries, which we have been in the past, but we still expect a performance, and the right management.

At the end of the day, there are many variables, but we should count our luck that a result and performance like this will give us the confidence to be even better.

Not to mention the 3 points!

We have of course had many a false dawn, but tonight felt different for some reasons, even Bruce was more proactive. Let's just hold as much positivity as we can for now.

• Like 4

Stats wise, I gotta say Bruce is doing great.

We have the 2nd best defensive record in the league.

Kodjia has been hurt for more than half our games and is out of form, and yet we are still in the playoffs.

I really think if we can get Kodjia going, we are pushing top 2.

3 hours ago, villarocker said:

What you're describing is a football match. Sometimes you'll score 1or 2, sometimes 3 or 4, sometimes you get the penalty, sometimes you don't, sometimes defenders make last ditch tackles (not to mention all the basic ones that weren't a problem last night) sometimes they don't. If it was as clean cut as you're suggesting it should be then nobody would watch football, as we'd all know what was going to happen.

• Like 2

Â