Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

2 hours ago, Lerner's Driver said:

I agree, the lack of ball retention is frustrating, disappointing, etc because with that we'd be properly mullering teams. I also agree the players we've got are capable of it, if not yet showing it. 

Not sure aggressive threats and blame culture fines will achieve the aim though. Growing confidence and team spirit from good results might. Who knows what hopeless, innocent victim, Steve Bruce will plump for.

Please don’t lose my point in the simple illustration.   The manager can and should be blamed when the players aren’t performing.  He has a (not unlimited) but extensive array of tools and techniques at his disposal to fix poor play. Including benching, fining, teaching, selling, loaning away.  If remi had the excuses this guy is given he would still be here.  So would  Mcleish.   ITS HIS TEAM.  HE IS RESPONSIBLE. !!!  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I think that is true but I also think the big difference is Kodjia.

Last season we were almost entirely dependent upon him, this season his contribution hasn’t been that significant.

It seems almost unthinkable to say but I’m now wondering if we are actually a better side without him? He poses such a goal threat but in terms of the way the side plays I think we play better without him. Tough call that one.

Posted something similar in another thread.

Considering the way Bruce wants to play and you seen it last night Villa are a better team without Kodjia. Only my opinion of course but I think after the emergence of Davis who is very much a team player and so important to the way in which Villa play now Kodjia would be better deployed as a super sub coming off the bench late in games to take advantage of a tiring defence. I know thats a very controversial point of view but Kodjia is a complete maverick and may not fit into Villa's way of playing anymore although I'm sure Bruce will try to shoe horn him into the side again when fit.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

Please don’t lose my point in the simple illustration.   The manager can and should be blamed when the players aren’t performing.  He has a (not unlimited) but extensive array of tools and techniques at his disposal to fix poor play. Including benching, fining, teaching, selling, loaning away.  If remi had the excuses this guy is given he would still be here.  So would  Mcleish.   ITS HIS TEAM.  HE IS RESPONSIBLE. !!!  

Trouble is, I'm not sure he sees it as poor play. He has put all his effort into turning us into a side that will soak up pressure and stop the opposition from scoring. We have to give him credit for that. If it's ugly to watch that doesn't bother him at all.

I just wish he would hire a coach to do a bit of pattern and creativity work with the forwards, so that when we do break with the ball we can make it count a lot more often. Somebody said we are devastating on the break.... if only.  If that had been true last night we would have had six.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, striker said:

Posted something similar in another thread.

Considering the way Bruce wants to play and you seen it last night Villa are a better team without Kodjia. Only my opinion of course but I think after the emergence of Davis who is very much a team player and so important to the way in which Villa play now Kodjia would be better deployed as a super sub coming off the bench late in games to take advantage of a tiring defence. I know thats a very controversial point of view but Kodjia is a complete maverick and may not fit into Villa's way of playing anymore although I'm sure Bruce will try to shoe horn him into the side again when fit.

So would I to be honest. He scored 19 league goals last season and has played his part in this magnificent run which, funnily enough, coincided with him returning to the side. 

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

I'm shocked you could respond this way after I was going to let you manage the club !!!!!   (with me of course)

I can't manage the Mrs.:D

Edited by TRO
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

So would I to be honest. He scored 19 league goals last season and has played his part in this magnificent run which, funnily enough, coincided with him returning to the side. 

Disagree. He's been largely ineffective this season with Villa look better without him but its only my opinion.

40 minutes ago, striker said:

Disagree. He's been largely ineffective this season with Villa look better without him but its only my opinion.

if playing one or the other we look better with Davis but I’d play both and go 442 mOst games 

12 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

He played against Barnsley, Burton and Fulham, no? Not against Norwich and Preston. Probably our 5 best so far. 

Yeah mate no worries (I didn't see the game against Fulham) but I just don't think he's affected the games that i've seen in the way that he did last season. That may be due to his recovery from injury of course but I certainly feel Villa this season are less reliant on his individuality because as we've seen goals are now coming from all the pitch and that is certainly a good thing would you not agree?  

2 minutes ago, striker said:

Yeah mate no worries (I didn't see the game against Fulham) but I just don't think he's affected the games that i've seen in the way that he did last season. That may be due to his recovery from injury of course but I certainly feel Villa this season are less reliant on his individuality because as we've seen goals are now coming from all the pitch and that is certainly a good thing would you not agree?  

Yes of course. I also happen to think adding a 20 goal a season striker into that will potentially be a good thing. I think we can make it work too - I have long been an advocate of him playing in one of the wide positions. Or indeed in a front 2. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

I'm sure he's aware of those options and his responsibility.

19 minutes ago, striker said:

Don't underestimate the space he creates for his team-mates. The opposition seem to pay alot of attention to our Kodj, and try and get close. This as a result creates space for the midfielders & Davis, as they have more space to operate, and at the moment score goals.

We are a far better side with him, imagine how much better we will be when he starts hitting form.

• Like 2

You're right, he's responsible.

1 defeat in 12 games, that's what he's responsible for.

As for being responsible for someone else messing up............not sure I've heard anything so stupid frankly.

• Like 2

Amazing he’s had such a long career in management without understanding any of these simple things. No wonder he’s never got anyone promoted. ;)

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, vreitti said:

I don't think we will. Last night was as good as it'll ever get with Bruce imo. Professional, hardworking and solid defensively. No question about that. Will it be enough though? We are still 6p off promotion, and there just isn't any room for a prolonged loss of form anymore.

We will have a whip round...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Although we all like to see youngsters play I think the whole O'Hare thing is getting a bit of blown out of proportion. Bruce see's him day in day out and must think he not ready. He looks a decent player in the times I've seen him but based on the reaction on here you'd think he was the next Messi. 

Edit: How to become a Villa favourite? Don't play ;)

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Although we all like to see youngsters play I think the whole O'Hare thing is getting a bit of blown out of proportion. Bruce see's him day in day out and must think he not ready. He looks a decent player in the times I've seen him but based on the reaction on here you'd think he was the next Messi. 

Edit: How to become a Villa favourite? Don't play ;)

I think its more a case of him offering something more creative from the bench rather than having so  many defenders as subs - nobody has remotely suggested he’s the next messi 

Â