Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, StewieGriffin said:

6 points at this stage at the top end of the league (or at any stage up until about Easter) is nothing really - 2 games. We play that amount every week by and large.

We had a bad 10 days at the start. Wolves, Cardiff and Sheffield United have had losses but not a bad spell yet. They will. We just need to be there when they do.

You can spin this both ways. I was guilty of bashing Bruce after the bad start but things change very quickly in this league and it’s impossible to deny we have good momentum right now, the players are playing for Bruce and the feeling is good. Let’s keep it up.

• Like 2

That was probably the most complete performance under Bruce we have seen. We were so comfortable and really should have scored more. Adomah and Davis should bury their chances. The most important thing for Bruce now is that he has all his players back pretty much. The players have the momentum with them and if he can harness that then we can mount a challenge for 2nd place. I don't think Wolves will be caught. 

Fair play to Bruce yesterday as I pelted him for his bench selection but the first XI did the job. I still have my doubts but I hope he proves them wrong. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

Interesting Post @Lerner's Driver - the classic case IMO was Robson at the ‘86 World  Cup.....supposedly superb Manager who made a complete hash of the first two games - I think - until injury forced him to change system and approach and suddenly we were playing football.

I found your analysis of the ‘chance’ concept and how it applies to Bruce interesting.

Agreed, the Robson example is perfect. Perhaps it's my age showing, but those twists of fate which turned in your favour, just seemed so much more enjoyable when I was younger because they fuelled your dreams and you just accepted them unquestioningly. 

Now Im old, it's different of course because you have the tools to analyse their importance in context and so the drama loses some of it's naturally unfolding joy. 

That whole point of something fun being ossified into a mechanical process, is only exacerbated by the ridiculous money which feeds unrealistic expectations as a plague on the game these days.

As such, hooray for 'human endeavour earning you some luck', as two things which even money cannot totally corrupt.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villan-scott said:

Wolves, Sheffield United and Cardiff are all losing games. They’re not the unbeatable teams people are making them out to be. 

We just need to keep doing our business and it’ll take care of itself. Let’s not forget the 4 teams above us have all got to come to Villa Park yet. 

of the 3 teams you mention we‘ve lost the 2 games we‘ve played.

I'll only want Bruce in the Prem if we develop an actual style of play and he start making the right subs/team selections etc at the right time. He has improved this a lot in recent weeks but we need to see more.

However this is a moot point, if we get promoted, he will be our manager next season.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

This is an amazing post.

If we didn't score we wouldn't have scored.

If we didn't defend then they would have had chances.

You're basically complaining because if we hadn't have played as well as we did, we might not have won.

Some people try way too hard.

For me, it brought this to mind (in a reverse sort of way)

• Haha 1

I'd be seriously considering not introducing Kodjia back into the team as soon as he's back. 

We played like more of a unit yesterday and some of the games earlier in the season. 

Lovely dilemma to have. 

Edited by lapal_fan

54 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

Another corker from last night.

When De Laet was brought on some daft bat behind me shouted “Oh yeah, bring on all the defenders Bruce.”

Interestingly, I find Villa fans I know “in the real world” are much more positive than posters on here - not true of the stands?

8 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

yes

feel free to remind me when the IF becomes IS

Will you congratulate Steve Bruce for last night's performance? 

Go on, you can do it. It won't hurt for long and no one will lose respect for you in the meantime. We know you were first and hard in telling us what you already knew about Bruce being hopeless and we won't forget, we promise. 

Go on, say something nice about Steve...

Edited by Lerner's Driver

1 hour ago, Grasshopper said:

of the 3 teams you mention we‘ve lost the 2 games we‘ve played.

True but both still have to visit villa park - I’d fancy us to beat both at home - at wolves and Cardiff we didn’t play at all , hopefully now we can kick on from here 

36 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I'd be seriously considering introducing Kodjia back into the team as soon as he's back. 

We played like more of a unit yesterday and some of the games earlier in the season. 

Lovely dilemma to have. 

Davis has better link and hold up play but kodj is more of a goal threat - I think we look a better team with Davis in and it’s an interesting situation with the likes of jack and o hare also in the frame - creativity is improving .

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Interestingly, I find Villa fans I know “in the real world” are much more positive than posters on here - not true of the stands?

I don’t find any “ much more” positive to be honest.

They tend to be less negative though,  and more of the “ we can’t keep changing” variety.

All around me found Sunday pretty uninspiring, but enjoyed last night..... even more than at Burton, although his tactics for the last twenty minutes caused some consternation ( although not as much as previously and I was certainly ok with them).

Most have naturally been happier as we’ve got some results, but the Steve Bruce part of “SB C&B Army” is still quieter than his first 6 months.

Then again a fair few have stopped going because they didn’t enjoy it with him last year and couldn’t see him getting us up. Whereas people don’t stop posting if they are anti . 

On the whole though yes he has a higher percentage of critics here.

• Like 1

Â