Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

8 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Who actually watched it? I didn't.

Well, there was a famous case in the US where a commentator couldn't see the match for fog on the pitch, and improvised an entirely fabricated commentary, so that listeners got a completely false impression of the game.

Possibly the same happened this evening, and the audio completely misrepresented what was happening.  After all, the commentators were Boro supporters.  Though possibly the Radio WM ones weren't, I don't know, I only had the Boro lads.

Yes, I can imagine that's possible.

21 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

We played our reserves in the cups plenty of times when we were still in the top flight and I don't recall it being a sign of 'rot'.

This isn't that simple though is it, it's the lethargy of those coming in, it's the lack of passion, commitment or whatever other buzz word you want to put, it's the giving up before a balls even been kicked because it's only the cup, it's the acceptance of defeat from a fair few fans

tonight is every bit as bad as the Lerner years for me

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

And your point is?

Unless you watch it you cannot have an opinion

If you listened on the radio you cannot have an opinion.

If you were in the match thread you cannot have an opinion.

I take it you were there then?

Yeah you've come in late on this back and forth, you're reacting to a counter comment about those who attended and then gone a bit wild with what you thought I was getting at. 

28 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I won't overreact to the result of our "reserves" but, correct me if I'm wrong (as I might be wrong), but he signed 5 of those "reserve" players very recently for about £20m???

Good point.

He's still a man that has signed 14 players but mainly relies on ones he inherited. 

3 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Yeah you've come in late on this back and forth, you're reacting to a counter comment about those who attended and then gone a bit wild with what you thought I was getting at. 

So what point are you making

43 minutes ago, RimmyJimmer said:

This is the hysteria I'm on about ^^^

That is pathetic. 

Maybe you should think about the whole shebang?

an opinion could be about the bigger picture and not waiting for a miracle

• Like 1

Just now, mykeyb said:

So what point are you making

Oh god, please just read back a page to see where it was going, it's highly uninteresting stuff I admit. Upshot is I was originally asking who on here has actually watched the game with their eyeballs. Judging by the match thread, nobody. Can you have an opinion otherwise? I wouldn't dare to say no. Can you tell anyone what happened in the game or if say Mcormack was any good? probably not. What point would you like to make?

Just now, Jareth said:

Oh god, please just read back a page to see where it was going, it's highly uninteresting stuff I admit. Upshot is I was originally asking who on here has actually watched the game with their eyeballs. Judging by the match thread, nobody. Can you have an opinion otherwise? I wouldn't dare to say no. Can you tell anyone what happened in the game or if say Mcormack was any good? probably not. What point would you like to make?

It seemed you were saying posters shouldn't be making judgements on tonight's game unless you were there and then proceeded to point out you weren't there.

I want a better manager than Bruce at the club but the only criticism of the starting eleven was Hutton ahead of Bree. The performance appears to be standard fare under Bruce 11 blokes on the pitch not a clue what the other 10 are doing for which the coaching staff and Bruce are culpable. The result while disappointing would not be a reason to sack the manager.........when added to the last eleven months of garbage it doesn't really help his cause does it

Bree, Bjarnason, Lansbury and Hogan. All signings made in January by Bruce at this point all struggling to make the starting eleven..............

Now where is that newspaper article about his time at Sunderland when you need it

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Well the points people were making were not comments on things you would have to see to know about, were they?

Do you need to see the game to understand if we had shots on target, won or lost, dominated the game?  If you hear that Hogan trudged off when substituted, and Bruce was shouting at him to move quicker, do you need to have seen that for yourself before believing it?  To take such an approach would be barking mad, frankly.  It's reasonable to form views on the uncontested (and even contested) evidence of others, no?

• Like 3

Just now, mykeyb said:

It seemed you were saying posters shouldn't be making judgements on tonight's game unless you were there and then proceeded to point out you weren't there.

I want a better manager than Bruce at the club but the only criticism of the starting eleven was Hutton ahead of Bree. The performance appears to be standard fare under Bruce 11 blokes on the pitch not a clue what the other 10 are doing for which the coaching staff and Bruce are culpable. The result while disappointing would not be a reason to sack the manager.........when added to the last eleven months of garbage it doesn't really help his cause does it

As usual I was just being an arse biscuit - but to my credit I had previously said I wasn't there, so was not pulling the better fan card. Completely get the bigger picture to which this adds - was just challenging folks wth strong opinions (specifically after tonight's game) to at least have seen the game before just trotting out the usual dare I call it 'hysterics'. We do have good squad depth, but that doesn't mean we could lose 11 players and hope to be any good - realistically of tonight's team and subs only RDL, Onomah and Hogan can expect to get any games this season even after some injuries to our first 11. So tonight's game was never one to judge anybody on, other than Steve Bruce - I don't think he was wrong to rest our first team, or to give the bomb squad a chance to show something. Judging by a piece in the mail tonight Mcoremack was at least hungry for it, so should this lead to a revival in him then I'd praise the manager for giving him yet another chance. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, peterms said:

Well the points people were making were not comments on things you would have to see to know about, were they?

Do you need to see the game to understand if we had shots on target, won or lost, dominated the game?  If you hear that Hogan trudged off when substituted, and Bruce was shouting at him to move quicker, do you need to have seen that for yourself before believing it?  To take such an approach would be barking mad, frankly.  It's reasonable to form views on the uncontested (and even contested) evidence of others, no?

Regardless of who watched tonight's game - yes you do need to see a game to have a credible opinion on what happened. Call me old fashioned. 

3 minutes ago, Jareth said:

We do have good squad depth, but that doesn't mean we could lose 11 players and hope to be any good - realistically of tonight's team and subs only RDL, Onomah and Hogan can expect to get any games this season even after some injuries to our first 11. 

7 of the starting 11 have already been selected by Bruce to play in the Championship ?

I agree you can't realistically comment too much on what happened in a game unless you've seen it ( although plenty people form reasonable views based on radio and newspaper coverage) but we can get things like this right !!

Unfortunately it's time to stop this particular bus. Get rid, and get the next one right for the love of all that's holy.

We're a first rate club and a fourth rate team. It's not good enough and I'll never accept limping out of any cup. 

Many of the players that are failing miserably are his signings or one's that he's persisting with for no good reason. I hate that we're here again but why push a bad hand? Pull the plug.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, terrytini said:

7 of the starting 11 have already been selected by Bruce to play in the Championship ?

I agree you can't realistically comment too much on what happened in a game unless you've seen it ( although plenty people form reasonable views based on radio and newspaper coverage) but we can get things like this right !!

Well perfectly true that Samba has this evening moved ahead of Elphick in the pecking order. As for Hutton, I really hope Bree gets the nod, but fair enough he possibly will come in again. 

There were many people who backed Bruce in the summer, but with the caveat that he needed to hit the ground running this season. For some people hitting the ground running means running like Usain Bolt, for other it seems to be running like Mr Blobby. 

5 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

There were many people who backed Bruce in the summer, but with the caveat that he needed to hit the ground running this season. For some people hitting the ground running means running like Usain Bolt, for other it seems to be running like Micah Richards.

FFY

• Like 1

We're not going to sack the manager because we've gone out of the league cup, especially off the back of a 3-0 win in the league. I totally understand the frustrations with Bruce and I'm not sure whether he's really giving us enough but I'll judge him on what we do in the league. We need to win the next 3 really, certainly 7 points at a minimum. I'm not too fussed about tonight with a second string that includes Elphick. 

Â