Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, villabromsgrove said:

I'm not particularly upset to lose in the Carabao cup (I had to look up the spelling!), although I'd have liked us to win. I'm more concerned that we only managed one shot on target in the 79th minute. That points the finger at coaching yet again. Bruce has to change Calderwood's and Clemence's focus if we're going to pick up points.

Can't see Calderwood's and Clemence's focus changing when the manager is also of the same mind set. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Eastie said:

I have no problem with Bruce changing all 11 for last nights game as it’s a very low priority - however the disappointment is that these players were given a chance to impress and stake a claim for a first team place and they failed miserably .

in theory i dont have a problem with him changing the names on the team sheet and using his squad, my issue is that yet again he showed he doesnt know how he wants us to play

saturday we played 4-4-2

last night we started in a kind of hard to properly identify 4-2-3-1

so you have your preferred 1st team formation but then when you play the reserves and experiment with the line up so that in theory they can challenge for the 1st team you play them in positions that the 1st team dont use? yeah ok then bruce

he's making it up as he goes along

• Like 4

Oh well at least the Boro defeat will wipe the smugness off his face and he can no longer stand in front of the tv cameras and proclaim we are 6 games undefeated with 3 clean sheets on the bounce (I noticed he conveniently forgot to mention that we had only won 1 of those 6 games!).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

Oh well at least the Boro defeat will wipe the smugness off his face and he can no longer stand in front of the tv cameras and proclaim we are 6 games undefeated with 3 clean sheets on the bounce (I noticed he conveniently forgot to mention that we had only won 1 of those 6 games!).

I noticed you conveniently forgot that actually his last 6 games included 3 wins. I am no fan of Bruce and he has been so bad, we dont need to add false statements to back it up. Last 6 games are below;

August 19th Home - Norwich 4-2

August 22nd Home - Wigan 4-1

August 25th Away - Bristol C 1-1

September 9th Home - Brentford 0-0

Septemeber 12th Home - Middlesborough 0-0

September 16th - Away - Barnsley 0-3

Obviously last nights result added an additional loss. Bruce's team plays poor football but his last 6 games are now 2 wins 3 draws and 1 loss. Not acceptable for us! 

I don't mind that Soundbite Steve changed the team. What made no sense is the change of formation and what was awful was the fact we had one shot on target.

As always with Soundbite Steve, one fantastic performance, followed by one very poor performance and an odd change of formation and then there will be 3/4 below average games where we scrape draws and lose games we should win.

Great going, Soundbite Steve!

Edited by Dick
  • Like 3

So true. He stumbles across a formation and wins a match, then changes it completely either to shoe horn a player in, or because somebody is injured.

He has no idea what he's doing, luckily the squad is strong enough to mask the fact he's a bumbling old dinosaur. 

7 minutes ago, Dick said:

I don't mind that Soundbite Steve changed the team. What made no sense is the change of formation and what was awful was the fact we had one shot on target.

As always with Soundbite Steve, one fantastic performance, followed by one very poor performance and an odd change of formation and then there will be 3/4 below average games where we scrape draws and lose games we should win.

Great going, Soundbite Steve!

Don't be hysterical mate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, ReasonforRevolution said:

Happy to admit I've been a bit 'hysterical' of late. 11k attendance is a new low I have witnessed. Not for one second blame fans for not turning up last night with the football Bruce is serving up. Attendances and no home goal in 5 hours with the most expensive Championship squad in history is what I would actually call a crisis. Yet Bruce is happy to act the antagonist to many fans who have been patient with him. Arrogance! Barnsley papered over the cracks. With the depth and money spent Tony Xia himself could pick a starting 11 and eventually we would get three points against teams that have cost a fraction of ours. However that in mind if by chance we gained promotion would I trust Bruce in the Prem? Not at all. I sat in different seats last night and got a good view of the dugout. Elphick and Bruce were at each others throats all night. Hogan also had a lot to say about his substitution. I can understand his frustrations. It is pointless playing Hogan if we are going to continue playing the Bruce way. I said at the time when Bruce publically slated McCormack he needs to hope he isn't popular in the dressing room and there is no underlying issues. Players, some of who would be friends will not look that too kindly. Bad management! For what its worth I think McCormack is a technically gifted player and Bruces line in the sand could be detrimental to us. The body language is all wrong from top to bottom. I only saw one Villa who was not in the squad come to watch the game last night. There may have been more but only saw Jedinak watching the game. Maybe off the mark but I thought surely more would be bothered. Bruce had a massive opportunity to capitalise on some shoots of hope with the backing of Xia but has somehow made it worse than ever. He talks of when he arrived the club hadn't won a game in such and such and a 5 years of poor performance but neglects to remember we were playing teams in the Premiership on a shoe string budget. Now we are in the Championship with a budget. Stop patronizing us.

Post of the week for me - some excellent opinions there .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Taxahunter said:

Im wasn't suggesting to play with our strongest team in the Carabao cup, but changing the whole team, IMO, is daft. Im pretty sure we could have managed, changing just half the team. With the players he has at his disposal he/we shouldn't be afraid to loose one or two players to injuries. We shouldn't be a team dependant on single players, thats not a way to manage a football club. If Bruce had been a good manager, he would have been able to motivate the players just outside the best eleven to step up and perform, but he isn't and he can't.

I agree on the whole - I think we're on the same page really.  We have a squad that we should rotate and he did that.  Including "first team" players doesn't guarantee a win in any case.  What if he fielded a really strong team and we lost?

As @dn1982 said, I agree that our football isn't attacking enough and that Steve Bruce has done a poor job so far as Villa manager.  I just disagree about the importance placed on winning a cup game.  It's fairly meaningless and not a stick to beat the manager with.

Just save that for our upcoming defeat against Forest ;) 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ReasonforRevolution said:

Happy to admit I've been a bit 'hysterical' of late. 11k attendance is a new low I have witnessed. Not for one second blame fans for not turning up last night with the football Bruce is serving up. Attendances and no home goal in 5 hours with the most expensive Championship squad in history is what I would actually call a crisis. Yet Bruce is happy to act the antagonist to many fans who have been patient with him. Arrogance! Barnsley papered over the cracks. With the depth and money spent Tony Xia himself could pick a starting 11 and eventually we would get three points against teams that have cost a fraction of ours. However that in mind if by chance we gained promotion would I trust Bruce in the Prem? Not at all. I sat in different seats last night and got a good view of the dugout. Elphick and Bruce were at each others throats all night. Hogan also had a lot to say about his substitution. I can understand his frustrations. It is pointless playing Hogan if we are going to continue playing the Bruce way. I said at the time when Bruce publically slated McCormack he needs to hope he isn't popular in the dressing room and there is no underlying issues. Players, some of who would be friends will not look that too kindly. Bad management! For what its worth I think McCormack is a technically gifted player and Bruces line in the sand could be detrimental to us. The body language is all wrong from top to bottom. I only saw one Villa who was not in the squad come to watch the game last night. There may have been more but only saw Jedinak watching the game. Maybe off the mark but I thought surely more would be bothered. Bruce had a massive opportunity to capitalise on some shoots of hope with the backing of Xia but has somehow made it worse than ever. He talks of when he arrived the club hadn't won a game in such and such and a 5 years of poor performance but neglects to remember we were playing teams in the Premiership on a shoe string budget. Now we are in the Championship with a budget. Stop patronizing us.

Jedi was the only player I saw too FWIW.

55 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I agree on the whole - I think we're on the same page really.  We have a squad that we should rotate and he did that.  Including "first team" players doesn't guarantee a win in any case.  What if he fielded a really strong team and we lost?

As @dn1982 said, I agree that our football isn't attacking enough and that Steve Bruce has done a poor job so far as Villa manager.  I just disagree about the importance placed on winning a cup game.  It's fairly meaningless and not a stick to beat the manager with.

Just save that for our upcoming defeat against Forest ;) 

I disagree with the importance of winning a cup game. If Bruce had been winning more games and had his team set up to play attacking football and playing well up to this cup game, I could have supported what he did, but as his match setup in the games before has been awful and it has been hurtful to watch the football he has been serving, he is just risking, loosing even more supporters and risking that even fewer are showing up to support him and his team in the next games being played.

Edited by Taxahunter

2 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

You would expect the club captain to show his face, you know, lead by example, probably has better things to do in London though.

If you were married to Toni terry would you drive up the m1 to watch this Game :)

Â