Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, terrytini said:

I wouldn't say didn't try so much as frequently had absolutely nowhere to go, due to excellent team defending.

I think it was a little of both to be honest. 

They weren't really trying to be creative especially in the first half, they were just trying to keep the ball.

7 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I think it was a little of both to be honest. 

They weren't really trying to be creative especially in the first half, they were just trying to keep the ball.

They would certainly have opened us up if they had the chance though.

The lack of space for them compared to Wolves last week was as different as night and day.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I for one was greatly entertained throughout and would be quite happy to play that way all the time !

Top performances throughout, wonderful tracking back, closing down, blocking off of space, tight in the tackle when they actually got within 30 yards ( rare), great headers, some brilliant blocks with players flinging themselves at the ball when needed, then quick concise and intelligent breaking, pressing high up when it made sense. Great to watch IMO especially when you get a late winner.

Waited a long time to see such a professional display. Stopped Fulham's unbeaten away run and I look forward to seeing all the same qualities applied whoever we play, we won't go far wrong if we repeat those principles.

I wasn't. The first half was mind numbingly dull. An unambitious Fulham team and a badly set up villa team totally incapable of unsettling fulhams plan. There were some good things in the first half - our midfield pressing, solid defence, positional discipline, but absolutely no threat.

second half was a bit better, with more enterprise from villa, a step up in the quick closing down, but it wasn't until Gestede was taken off that we became genuinely dangerous. Last 10 to 15 minutes was like a different sport, never mind a different match!

it was promising and there are clear signs of the team having been given instruction, guidance, a plan and so on. All of which has been absent for 2 years or so. Also the recent games I've seen Hutton play, plus Nathan Baker and a few others, they look like the aforementioned instructions and clues are of huge benefit. They look like different, better, players.

I'm  pleased, but there's a lot more to be done. And to be fair, Bruce knows it.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I for one was greatly entertained throughout and would be quite happy to play that way all the time !

Top performances throughout, wonderful tracking back, closing down, blocking off of space, tight in the tackle when they actually got within 30 yards ( rare), great headers, some brilliant blocks with players flinging themselves at the ball when needed, then quick concise and intelligent breaking, pressing high up when it made sense. Great to watch IMO especially when you get a late winner.

Waited a long time to see such a professional display. Stopped Fulham's unbeaten away run and I look forward to seeing all the same qualities applied whoever we play, we won't go far wrong if we repeat those principles.

Got to disagree sorry, was bored stiff for long periods yesterday, don't get me wrong, I'd happily take that result every week if offered but I wouldn't exaggerate yesterday's performance 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, blandy said:

I wasn't. The first half was mind numbingly dull. An unambitious Fulham team and a badly set up villa team totally incapable of unsettling fulhams plan. There were some good things in the first half - our midfield pressing, solid defence, positional discipline, but absolutely no threat.

second half was a bit better, with more enterprise from villa, a step up in the quick closing down, but it wasn't until Gestede was taken off that we became genuinely dangerous. Last 10 to 15 minutes was like a different sport, never mind a different match!

it was promising and there are clear signs of the team having been given instruction, guidance, a plan and so on. All of which has been absent for 2 years or so. Also the recent games I've seen Hutton play, plus Nathan Baker and a few others, they look like the aforementioned instructions and clues are of huge benefit. They look like different, better, players.

I'm  pleased, but there's a lot more to be done. And to be fair, Bruce knows it.

Spot on that, don't disagree with any of it.

I wonder how much of the first half was intentional from Bruce given the way Fulham approached the game something I'm sure Bruce would have seen from their manager before during his time at Watford.

For me Gestede can't be starting games at VP but that is an aside.

In the second half we clearly moved 10 or 15 yards up the pitch and got at them a little.

Confidence is so important in football, for the players and fans and you could see it growing in the second half.

As you say much to be done and Bruce knows it which is reassuring as is the fact you can see exactly what he is doing which frankly hasn't been the case with our managers these last few years.

The reason I wanted RDM gone so early irrespective of results was it was clear the basics were absent, with Bruce he is predominately about the basics and building the foundations for players to be creative from, beyond that he can struggle a little but that really isn't a concern for us in the here and now.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Spot on that, don't disagree with any of it.

I wonder how much of the first half was intentional from Bruce given the way Fulham approached the game something I'm sure Bruce would have seen from their manager before during his time at Watford.

For me Gestede can't be starting games at VP but that is an aside....

Confidence is so important in football, for the players and fans and you could see it growing in the second half.

As you say much to be done and Bruce knows it which is reassuring as is the fact you can see exactly what he is doing which frankly hasn't been the case with our managers these last few years.

...RDM ... it was clear the basics were absent

Yeah. Though my worry bead is that I think he's got team selection wrong for every game. I accept he's just come in and is weighing things up, but still, wolves, reading, Fulham - team started off wrong each time. To his credit he's sorted it out in 2  of those games and just got very lucky v wolves, but it's about time we had some luck.

none of it imo . Why not do the second half stuff from the start  no rocket science involved, surely.

the confidence thing is spot on and results have got much better. We're behaving like a football club again, rather than some sort of never ending road crash dream at 4 in the morning.

but mainly the thing is that I walked out of the ground feeling warm and happy. Weird innit?

• Like 1

Howcome we only had less than 40% possession? What's going on there then? Even though we won that's never really a good thing. Usually means we are under pressure... 

Edited by Tayls

I have to hold my hands up and admit I was wrong, stupid and petulant about his appointment (had had a few drinks when I posted my rant). He has a long way too go still,  but so far has proven he is definitely the right man for us. I hold my hands up and admit I was stupid to hold the views that i did in judging him before I had given him a chance. He has me enjoying villa once again. Didn't think I would so quick to change my mind but I always wanted to be proved wrong. UTV 

Just now, blandy said:

Yeah. Though my worry bead is that I think he's got team selection wrong for every game. I accept he's just come in and is weighing things up, but still, wolves, reading, Fulham - team started off wrong each time. To his credit he's sorted it out in 2  of those games and just got very lucky v wolves, but it's about time we had some luck.

the confidence thing is spot on and results have got much better. We're behaving like a football club again, rather than some sort of never ending road crash dream at 4 in the morning.

but mainly the thing is that I walked out of the ground feeling warm and happy. Weird innit?

You should ask for your money back it's not what we've come to expect at VP!

On the team selections I agree, we have though seen a lot more of these players than him so at the moment there is an element of experimental selections and testing players capabilities. I also think there is an element of other people's players not being quite suited to what Bruce wants.

So I'm not concerned by it at this stage, if it's happening in 5 or 6 games I will feel differently.

As you say, his knowledge and experience mean he is able to make effective changes when things aren't right and that is largely responsible for the points on the last two games.

• Like 1

Couldn't be happier with the first 3 games. An excellent start and I will take crap 1-0 wins all day long. So much better than losing those crap games! 

As an aside, I played golf at the belfry yesterday and saw the Fulham team and teed off when they were having their match discussion. I wanted to bang the Windows, get in there and and ruin everything but I had to use my etiquette! Gutted

4 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

As you say, his knowledge and experience mean he is able to make effective changes when things aren't right and that is largely responsible for the points on the last two games.

To be honest it's surprised me. I've never seen that as a strength of his. During his time at Sunderland I felt he often made things worse, not better and that he picked odd line ups. That he's made changes for us which have brought wins from draws is pleasing and if he keeps doing it, I'll have to revise my opinion of him, upwards.

at the moment we're seeing the benefit of his basic organising skills, a bit of new manager bounce, perhaps a change of fortune (wolves should have beaten us). He's got experience and practical common sense and seems to be relishing his job. All good. Early days, but I think we've maybe stopped falling.

• Like 2

Just now, blandy said:

To be honest it's surprised me. I've never seen that as a strength of his. During his time at Sunderland I felt he often made things worse, not better and that he picked odd line ups. That he's made changes for us which have brought wins from draws is pleasing and if he keeps doing it, I'll have to revise my opinion of him, upwards.

at the moment we're seeing the benefit of his basic organising skills, a bit of new manager bounce, perhaps a change of fortune (wolves should have beaten us). He's got experience and practical common sense and seems to be relishing his job. All good. Early days, but I think we've maybe stopped falling.

Don't get me started on new manager bounce again....

16 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Howcome we only had less than 40% possession? What's going on there then? Even though we won that's never really a good thing. Usually means we are under pressure... 

No we weren't they had possession in thier own half or in the middle. In the areas it mattered nothing really. Having possession for the majority means sweet FA as is proved by even the top premier teams. 

• Like 3

We'll do even better of our bloody forwards will pass to each other when in front of goal, instead of being greedy.

Bruce needs to be having a look at this now. We lost plenty of points before he came from it, and could easily have had three draws just as easily as three wins in his time here.

The only one willing to set others up is McCormack, Kodge and Ayew are seemingly trying to beat each others tally.

Â