Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

Villa fans, Villa fans...what are we trying to do to ourselves!

It seems like we actually want him to fail, our club is becoming a role similar to the England job. A poision chalice. Whoever takes over we will complain about. We are 2 games into the league and I do believe we have boo'd now in both the games!? 

Any self respecting manager is going to dodge VP like a bullet. We can break many managers and turn their careers into tiny specks in the history books. We need to face it our team is just bang average and when we aren't creating  any chances were not going to win games. Is Steve Bruce holding players back or are the players simply not good enough to create?

Booing the players isnt going to add any impetus to the team but certainly will create a dark cloud over Villa Park.

I dont like Newcastle United but by god do they support their team and manager, even in the bad times!

1 minute ago, Merson08 said:

It seems like we actually want him to fail, our club is becoming a role similar to the England job. A poision chalice. Whoever takes over we will complain about. We are 2 games into the league and I do believe we have boo'd now in both the games!? 

Any self respecting manager is going to dodge VP like a bullet. We can break many managers and turn their careers into tiny specks in the history books. We need to face it our team is just bang average and when we aren't creating  any chances were not going to win games. Is Steve Bruce holding players back or are the players simply not good enough to create?

Booing the players isnt going to add any impetus to the team but certainly will create a dark cloud over Villa Park.

I dont like Newcastle United but by god do they support their team and manager, even in the bad times!

Simply not true. 

Bruce signed a lot of these players. 

He's clearly taking us no where, what do you want us to do? Stick with him in the hope that we get a Disney movie style turn around? Based on what? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Merson08 said:

Really that chance to manage the biggest club in championship on a £1m+  a year salary - I think most managers in the championship would love that gig. 

• Like 1

My stance.

Firstly, whilst I have absolutely not been in the 'bruce out brigade' it should be acknowledged that like most people, I was underwhelmed when we appointed him and I didn't, at that time, think he was the right man for the job.

That changed however after the good run we went on and, like most people, I saw light at the end of the tunnel.

Less than 12 months on though and things just don't seem to be picking up, both in terms of performances and results, I still don't necessarily blame Bruce, to do so you'd have to ignore the fact that we've been a pretty shambolic team/club for 6+ years before him however, I just don't think he's the man to motivate this team any more and I think he knows it too, even during the Colchester game I thought he looked despondent with what he was seeing, I don't believe the players are doing whatever it is he's asking them to do.

On that basis, we have to move on, though once again I will state for the record that I do not attribute our current state solely to Bruce, many people are responsible, particularly the players who need to have a long hard look at themselves before the Reading game.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TheStagMan said:

In which case he needs to go now. What is going to change in the next 3 games that hasn't shown any signs of changing in the last 40?

Again, I don't necessarily disagree, but it isn't down to us and I doubt very much he'll be sacked before the game. 

The chances are nothing is going to change, but these exchanges were in response to me saying I refuse to think losing is the best way out of anything and I stand by that. 

However unlikely or even unpalatable it might be for some, the best thing that could happen would be a convincing win, that leads to more convincing wins and ultimately promotion. 

Do I think it will happen? No, but it is possible, however unlikely. 

Is yet another managerial change, 'the best thing that could happen to the club'? No, it isn't, if it could be avoided that would be better. 

Well probably have to do it, but it's nowt to be chuffed about, we are just back to starting all over again and hoping this time will be different. Again. Sad times. 

12 minutes ago, Merson08 said:

Apart from hounding Pardew out you mean.

• Like 4

The point about Little (and Terry as assistant imho) as caretaker would be

1 Bruce gone

2 see 1

IF the players are being stiffled/ played out of position and the wrong tactics for the players we have, then surely ANYBODY different COULD get a reaction.

We need a new manager (and coaches) but till we appoint one we need a plan B to tide us over. Bruce has no plan A, B or a faint idea what to do.

Little could be the "Elder statesman/Club legend" and Terry would be the one "in touch with the game today".

I'm sure if even DrT or one of us on VT picked a balanced team with everyone acustomed to their natural positions, then told just to "play your natural game" we'd have at least some sort of cohierant play that may just result in a point or 3. Not this defensive "Hide & Hoof" shyte

Edited by Grasshopper
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Merson08 said:

We need to face it that our team is just bang average? Haha! As Huddersfield go and win 3-0 away in the Premier League - something that we can't do in the Championship.

I dont like Newcastle United but by god do they support their team and manager, even in the bad times! They haven't really had it that hard have they in recent years - whenever they get relegated they pretty much win the league the following year. Oh and by the way, we're about the worst away team in Europe over the last two years, so to be taking close to 5K fans to another country for a league game is absolutely astonishing.

I'm just wondering how many posters on here have trained under Steve Bruce to come to the opinion his training methods are outdated, obviously in comparison to other top coaches they've played under :wacko:

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

Again, I don't necessarily disagree, but it isn't down to us and I doubt very much he'll be sacked before the game. 

The chances are nothing is going to change, but these exchanges were in response to me saying I refuse to think losing is the best way out of anything and I stand by that. 

However unlikely or even unpalatable it might be for some, the best thing that could happen would be a convincing win, that leads to more convincing wins and ultimately promotion. 

Do I think it will happen? No, but it is possible, however unlikely. 

Is yet another managerial change, 'the best thing that could happen to the club'? No, it isn't, if it could be avoided that would be better. 

Well probably have to do it, but it's nowt to be chuffed about, we are just back to starting all over again and hoping this time will be different. Again. Sad times. 

I don't expect him to be sacked yet either. Lets be clear though. I don't want Villa to lose. Ever. Against anyone. 

I have previously said that I hoped Bruce proves me wrong, does get this team firing and gets us promoted. Unfortunately he has not shown even a glimmer of that and frankly, performances are now getting worse. Whilst I have been in the Bruce out camp for a while now I have been hoping that I was wrong. But Bruce himself has said various worrying things such as he doesnt do tactics and doesn't know how to fix us. We also then have Wyness saying that Bruce loses sleep at nights worrying about being beaten. 

Ultimately whilst stability is great, if the stability means we remain rubbish as a team then he has to go. BUT - we do need to get this appointment right - and we need to have someone in the bag as soon as we get rid - none of our normal dithering and weeks of speculation. Decide who we want and go get him.

• Like 2

Right time to be brave against reading Bruce.

You're using injuries as an excuse so show some balls and play the kids who are untainted and not brain washed from years of shit managers. And drop those " grafters" who are just plain shit. We haven't got wingers fit so go narrow and see what happens.

----------------Johnstone--------------

Bree--------Terry-------Chester-------Taylor

-------Onomah---- Whelan---Hourihane

-------------------------O'Hare----------------

-------------Hogan-------------Gabby/RHM

50 minutes ago, Merson08 said:

I've supported Bruce as much as anyone. But the question I've bolded is nonsense, if you're implying the players aren't good enough.

We have the best squad in the league. If not the best then it's right up there at the top end.

We have players who created shit loads at previous clubs.

The players ARE good enough. I believed the manager was good enough and this season would see us challenging.

Saturday has sucked that optimism out of me. If this team isn't competing at the top end of the table then it's the manager's fault.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My thoughts:

Giving Bruce the job was a no brainer at the time to be honest, he had been there done that and got teams out of this league. On paper it was the correct choice in my book. I never liked any of the football his previous teams played, but at the time we needed an experienced manager.

The problem is I think modern football has passed him by, he is on record of not really being into tactics. Yes I know footy is a simple game but there are areas you try and exploit other teams weaknesses as seems to be case every week when opposition find it easy to find our weaknesses.

If its not Bruce that is the problem, that what is?

My conclusion is that its the coaching of players and I think as much as I like the bloke and really wanted him to do well for us, he seems now at a loss at what to do next. Its time for SB to consider his position.

The Dr like any owner is not going to sit on his hands and see his investment give him such a poor return without action, so I think its a case of SB to honourably leave or wait get pushed by the Dr to be honest..

But who we have as the new manager?..................... as long as its not Moyes

Regards

Del

14 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:
1 hour ago, Merson08 said:

I've supported Bruce as much as anyone. But the question I've bolded is nonsense, if you're implying the players aren't good enough.

We have the best squad in the league. If not the best then it's right up there at the top end.

We have players who created shit loads at previous clubs.

The players ARE good enough. I believed the manager was good enough and this season would see us challenging.

Saturday has sucked that optimism out of me. If this team isn't competing at the top end of the table then it's the manager's fault.

Im not sure of the players, has the teams where we have signed their star players had a negative impact on them?

Other than Brentford's loss of Kodjia, I dont think any of the other sides have become any worse off after losing their apparent stars. 

Fulham lost McCormack and have gone up the league, Nottingham Forest lost Lansbury but the position of Forest didnt really change and the same can be said for Barnsley after losing Bree and Hourihane. If they are such star players surely it would impact on their teams performance?

I wasnt stating that the players we have signed are not good enough, it was a question asking if SB is holding players back or are they not as good as we thought.

Either way I hope Villa turn some corner and start pulling up trees with the stars we have signed. 

Â