Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

8 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

So didn't even finish top half. 

Well done Steve, I'm sure everything will just click in the summer. 

Probably the turnstiles in August:)

4 hours ago, Sam3773 said:

A new dawn. It was my 28th birthday yesterday and today is the final game of the season. I awoke full of hope and positivity this morning and I wanted reinforcement. 

Bruce has been promoted loads, he's been in the line for the England job and he's well regarded. This must have just been a bad season in his career. 

So, instilled with my new found sunshine, I sought proof. I hit Google to check out his Hull and Sunderland tactics and style, what the fans thought of him and his football. 

I wish I hadn't. At times I was convinced I was reading an article about this season. He may have been promoted a lot, but it's not pretty. 

His code consistency is striking though. Articles at all clubs and amongst all fan bases strike a similar message. No style of play, questionable tactics and archaic. He once even said "I don't do tactics". Something he seems to have proven. 

Did you know he's never actually won anything? Play offs aside, he hasn't taken a league title or cup. 

So what is he? Is he good? 4 promotions is not to be sniffed at but.. He's managed in the second tier almost all of his managerial career. That's 20 years. 

So is he the promotion expert, or has he just been around longer than all the others. Enough to sneak into the play offs a couple of times. 

From what I've read and seen, we need to part ways. Yes, he's had 4 promotions, but he's been here longer than anyone else. You're more likely to pot the black, if you have 15 more goes than the competition. 

Very good post! Although I'm not sure about dismissing Bruce just yet, partly for reasons of stability, partly for the fact that he at least seems to see the problems. If he is the man to solve them and take us forward is still up in the air in my opinion. Based on today's game, I wouldn't say that the set up was particularly negative or defensive. It's in no way free flowing attacking football, and probably never will be under Bruce and we seem to be lost in the final third, but it wasn't by any means catastrophic. I think I would risk another year in the Championship to gain stability, build up the club and change the recent indicipline among the players to a more hard working loyal team culture. 

I don't believe Bruce is the right man but he will be here start of next season. Don't think Tony and the others will change manager again. They will give Bruce a chance.

In that case we need a plan B to be put in place in October/November if needed. We also need to sign players that fits into plan B which will be the job of Steve Round and the scouts. I understand that this might be an obstacle for Bruce in building his own squad but I think it's vital for the club.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

At least we get 3 months break 

No we don't. We get 3 months of reading "Bruce isn't good enough!", "yes he is!", "no he's not!" posts on here without any games to break it up.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

I don't believe Bruce is the right man but he will be here start of next season. Don't think Tony and the others will change manager again. They will give Bruce a chance.

In that case we need a plan B to be put in place in October/November if needed. We also need to sign players that fits into plan B which will be the job of Steve Round and the scouts. I understand that this might be an obstacle for Bruce in building his own squad but I think it's vital for the club.

I just wonder....given the opportunity, would we have signed a player like Glenn Murray.

I think there would have been long faces amongst the fan base.

I think we sign decent players, just the wrong players to fit a blend.

We need to get the balance right.

Also,we still make too many individual errors that lead to goals.

Edited by TRO

5/10 for me so far. 

Think he's signed some excellent players, but not convinced he knows how to use them correctly. Massive shft in attitude and style required and I'm not sure he's up to it. 

I think we should stick with, but he's got to hit the ground running next season. 10 games, top 3/4 is a must. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Villaphan04 said:

I would be disappointed if he was not given the full pre-season and 5 or so games next season.

Have you seen anything that makes you think giving him that would make a huge difference?

I just don't see where the faith for more time is coming from with him?

He's done nothing. 

• Like 3

Rubbish again. Pretty much unwatchable at times, turgid in places, disjointed......(Started rubbish,months back, and it's largely been rubbish ever since.

BUT......one itsy bitsy crumb of comfort....he finally pushed Lansbury up the pitch. And within fifteen minutes he'd had two chances ( one of which he should've buried ).

AND he didn't really play a holding midfielder either...so 2 crumbs.....

And one could argue that since that's about the first time we've been a touch more adventurous it might explain the disjointed mess.

AND we showed he has added much needed resilience to the side - that's a good effort coming back to draw against Brighton, and with 10 men.

So I've found something to cling to - not sure it should be about that when the guys had 3/4 of a season - but it'll have to do

I still have a little belief he can do what's needed next year - I certainly hope he can because following this Club is soul destroying.

Despararetly hope he sees you can't play with 4 full backs and that however inconsistent he is Jack is our next biggest threat / scorer after

And more Bree less Hutton would be a big bonus too - there is decent stuff in there if he can make it click,

• Like 3

Seeing as this thread is rather depressing I'll go the other route and say I was impressed today. Signs were there that we can be a strong side next season. We've more than matched Brighton, would say we should've won. The hoofing wasn't as bad either, best I've seen us play in weeks. 

We've had good chances and for once even our midfield was getting involved. Long summer ahead, I accepted some time ago Bruce will be with us next year so I'm going back him and hope we kick next season off strong. 

• Like 2

It concerns me that Bruce is talking transfers... I think the work there is done. Keep team together work on how they're to play with each other, they're more than good enough. 

• Like 2

Â