Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

2 hours ago, Jareth said:

Bruce has only had a january window. No manager, whatever the club, can be denied at least one summer window before judgement is passed on their team. It is absolutely bonkers that anyone is calling Bruce OUT until he has built HIS squad. I put it down to expectation, which in Villa's case is way over the top - not that that is a bad thing, we bloody deserve a decent team one year soon. 

Remi Garde says hi..... again

2 hours ago, TRO said:

One of the reasons i do not want to keep changing managers so early.....is because we are slowly developing in to a breeding ground for players with iffy attitude.

I don't need to mention names, you all know who they are and In my view we have had our unfair share of them in recent times.

when you keep changing managers these types are in a safe haven, knowing the incumbent will be gone in a short time.....its encouraging them.

Its a dangerous game to play, if we have any ambition to rid ourselves of the past....we need stability.....and they need to know, they are tossing their careers away and it won't be tolerated.

That was all true when Bruce started.  His decision was to give them all a clean slate and a chance get back in the team.  I said it was a mistake at the time.  So now, his failure to address the culture effectively is your reason (here) to keep him.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jareth said:

Bruce has only had a january window. No manager, whatever the club, can be denied at least one summer window before judgement is passed on their team. It is absolutely bonkers that anyone is calling Bruce OUT until he has built HIS squad. I put it down to expectation, which in Villa's case is way over the top - not that that is a bad thing, we bloody deserve a decent team one year soon. 

Just saying, but by that logic shouldn't Remi Garde still be our manager?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

So, if in your view, we have pretty much the second best squad in the league, then it must follow that we have one of the worst managers in the league for this team to be so far off 2nd place?

Perhaps, but not necessarily. I think there's an element of players settling in and not doing well initially. We've seen that this season with results immediately after/during each transfer window. Our better runs have been after this settling in period. 

But yes, I don't think Bruce is getting the best out of the players and that's my point. We don't need to uproot our squad and start again. We need to work on doing well with the very-good-at-Championship-level squad that we've got. 

This team should be good enough to challenge for promotion next season (providing no losses or additions). If it isn't, then we've spent £70m or whatever it is pretty badly. 

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Jareth said:

I'd agree if I could see a week upon week improvement, heading in the right direction - which in turn would lend me to think Bruce would know exactly what to do in the summer window - unfortunately I don't see much in the way of improvement - nor do I have faith in him to deliver the goods in the window- so no I don't think it's bonkers should he go now!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TRO said:

You could have a team full of George Bests.....what can the manager do with them......hypothetically of course.

great players individually or on paper, but no blend.

how can a manager set that up right or adopt the right tactics.....the components are wrong.

That is not to say the players are no good......the balance is no good.

We need to get the balance right first and it isn't right.

then you can fill your boots and slag him off, when it is.

10 George Bests I can only dream. 

4 minutes ago, Dave J said:

George Best - personally the best player ever- saw him play in a friendly at VP many moons ago !

Yes for me the best British player ever. 

• Like 1

The trouble with a bad start to the season, people will instantly jump to the "new players settling in" excuse again. By which time it could all be too late and a repeat of this season again.

Playing such negative football and failing to register any meaningful attempts on target in most games should set the alarm bells ringing. I would be willing to give him time if I could see progress but I just don't.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Sam3773 said:

A new dawn. It was my 28th birthday yesterday and today is the final game of the season. I awoke full of hope and positivity this morning and I wanted reinforcement. 

Bruce has been promoted loads, he's been in the line for the England job and he's well regarded. This must have just been a bad season in his career. 

So, instilled with my new found sunshine, I sought proof. I hit Google to check out his Hull and Sunderland tactics and style, what the fans thought of him and his football. 

I wish I hadn't. At times I was convinced I was reading an article about this season. He may have been promoted a lot, but it's not pretty. 

His code consistency is striking though. Articles at all clubs and amongst all fan bases strike a similar message. No style of play, questionable tactics and archaic. He once even said "I don't do tactics". Something he seems to have proven. 

Did you know he's never actually won anything? Play offs aside, he hasn't taken a league title or cup. 

So what is he? Is he good? 4 promotions is not to be sniffed at but.. He's managed in the second tier almost all of his managerial career. That's 20 years. 

So is he the promotion expert, or has he just been around longer than all the others. Enough to sneak into the play offs a couple of times. 

From what I've read and seen, we need to part ways. Yes, he's had 4 promotions, but he's been here longer than anyone else. You're more likely to pot the black, if you have 15 more goes than the competition. 

Good post - I agree with everything you say.

cut our loses now and move on for me.

31 minutes ago, Sam3773 said:

A new dawn. It was my 28th birthday yesterday and today is the final game of the season. I awoke full of hope and positivity this morning and I wanted reinforcement. 

Bruce has been promoted loads, he's been in the line for the England job and he's well regarded. This must have just been a bad season in his career. 

So, instilled with my new found sunshine, I sought proof. I hit Google to check out his Hull and Sunderland tactics and style, what the fans thought of him and his football. 

I wish I hadn't. At times I was convinced I was reading an article about this season. He may have been promoted a lot, but it's not pretty. 

His code consistency is striking though. Articles at all clubs and amongst all fan bases strike a similar message. No style of play, questionable tactics and archaic. He once even said "I don't do tactics". Something he seems to have proven. 

Did you know he's never actually won anything? Play offs aside, he hasn't taken a league title or cup. 

So what is he? Is he good? 4 promotions is not to be sniffed at but.. He's managed in the second tier almost all of his managerial career. That's 20 years. 

So is he the promotion expert, or has he just been around longer than all the others. Enough to sneak into the play offs a couple of times. 

From what I've read and seen, we need to part ways. Yes, he's had 4 promotions, but he's been here longer than anyone else. You're more likely to pot the black, if you have 15 more goes than the competition. 

Happy Birthday for yesterday. Perhaps the Doc will have a late present for you. 

10 hours ago, PaulC said:

Yes for me the best British player ever. 

I would have him in world class terms Paul - not just British tbh, I have him right up in front of the likes of Pele, cruyff, messi, ronalado, zidane etc - I really feel he was that good- if only he was around today- can you imagine the mayhem he would cause safe in the knowledge that defenders could not try and hack him down as they could back in the day - this said I think George was nobody's fool.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Only Steve Bruce could take a 'winger' off for a CB in a meaningless game at 1-0 down. Admittedly 10 men, but Jesus Christ Steve.

Tactical masterstroke though eh? ;)

Â