Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

15 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Bruce gets a C- grade from me, simply not good enough to finish bottom half with the time and resources he has had. We have looked like utter dog shit for the most part as well. Pressure will rightly be on next season, if things don't look promising after 5 games I'd wager that the Dr will pull the trigger.

Everyone from Bruce up get a C minus. What a shit season considering we're effectively the Man City of the division. Woeful recruitment in terms of CEO, Round the so called football man, RDM and Bruce plus a heap of over priced, over paid shite in the squad. 

A totally joyless season and yet another one to forget. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Rubbish again. Pretty much unwatchable at times, turgid in places, disjointed......(Started rubbish,months back, and it's largely been rubbish ever since.

What the actual ****?

Are you talking about today?

I'm stunned.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Have you seen anything that makes you think giving him that would make a huge difference?

I just don't see where the faith for more time is coming from with him?

He's done nothing. 

I think he's improved us no-end defensively. Gone are the concerns we are going to get spanked every week and I don't feel like we will capitulate if we go 0-1 down. I think he's done well to add some 'steel' in that regard. 

That doesn't hide the absolute abomination, that is our 'style' going forwards. His ability to address this is my concern. 

As I said a few pages ago, I don't think he's a deliberately negative, dinosaur of a manager. I think this 'defend first' trait has developed mainly due to the teams he's managed and the situations they have been in. 

That has potentially led to him having a default setting that will not fit well here and imo won't help us achieve what we want. I think he's knows this, but I'm not convinced he's sure how to go about changing or convincing the players. 

He's got to instil an attack minded philosophy and get the team behaving as they should - i.e. The biggest team in the division, full of quality attacking players, who could and should be going everywhere looking to play good football and win games. 

I believe he can do it, I'm just not convinced he will. 

Edited by wazzap24
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Only Steve Bruce could take a 'winger' off for a CB in a meaningless game at 1-0 down. Admittedly 10 men, but Jesus Christ Steve.

A game we then went on to dominate, despite having 10 men, and get a draw out of and in fact probably should have won.

Yeah, what a clown.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Get a grip. What else was he meant to do?

He could have put a striker on or a winger. Or Elvis. Or the loch ness monster. or SOMETHING!

Admittedly we'd have then probably gone on to lose by more than 1-0, instead of playing really well and coming away with a draw.

BUT I MEAN COME ON! 

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Hourihane and Lansbury were the best players on the pitch today by a country mile. Hourihane especially was excellent.

Well I'm not basing my judgement or concern on just one game. 

43 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

I think he's improved us no-end defensively. Gone are the concerns we are going to get spanked every week and I don't feel like we will capitulate if we go 0-1 down. I think he's done well to add some 'steel' in that regard. 

That doesn't hide the absolute abomination, that is our 'style' going forwards. His ability to address this is my concern. 

As I said a few pages ago, I don't think he's a deliberately negative, dinosaur of a manager. I think this 'defend first' trait has developed mainly due to the teams he's managed and the situations they have been in. 

That has potentially led to him having a default setting that will not fit well here and imo won't help us achieve what we want. I think he's knows this, but I'm not convinced he's sure how to go about changing or convincing the players. 

He's got to instil an attack minded philosophy and get the team behaving as they should - i.e. The biggest team in the division, full of quality attacking players, who could and should be going everywhere looking to play good football and win games. 

I believe he can do it, I'm just not convinced he will. 

Were we concerned under RDM about being spanked every week? 

I don't remember it like that. 

He hasn't made us harder to beat. It's this myth that gets put forward again. 

I think some remember those draws under RDM as losses. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Were we concerned under RDM about being spanked every week? 

I don't remember it like that. 

He hasn't made us harder to beat. It's this myth that gets put forward again. 

I think some remember those draws under RDM as losses. 

It's not a myth, just a different opinion :thumb:

I felt like we could/would capitulate under RDM and I didn't think he'd done enough to eradicate the problems that had built up over previous seasons. We played better football, but I had no confidence that we would defend a lead, or get a game back if we went behind. 

I think Bruce has largely addressed that, but it's just my opinion, I'm sure there are some stats that will show otherwise. 

I also think he's addressed the centre midfield issues and we will see the results of that next year, if he can get the balance right - and that's my one key concern.

He's going to be here for at least the first 10 games of next season IMO, so it's going to be a long summer for those who dont want to get behind him. 

I've had enough negativity towards Villa to last me for a while, I'm looking forward to the summer and seeing what he can deal with a full pre-season and a couple more of his own players. 

I'm far from convinced it's going to work out, but I'm prepared to give him more time to try. 

• Like 1

Just now, wazzap24 said:

It's not a myth, just a different opinion :thumb:

I felt like we could/would capitulate under RDM and I didn't think he'd done enough to eradicate the problems that had built up over previous seasons. We played better football, but I had no confidence that we would defend a lead, or get a game back if we went behind. 

I think Bruce has largely addressed that, but it's just my opinion, I'm sure there are some stats that will show otherwise. 

I also think he's addressed the centre midfield issues and we will see the results of that next year, if he can get the balance right - and that's my one key concern.

He's going to be here for at least the first 10 games of next season IMO, so it's going to be a long summer for those who dont want to get behind him. 

I've had enough negativity towards Villa to last me for a while, I'm looking forward to the summer and seeing what he can deal with a full pre-season and a couple more of his own players. 

I'm far from convinced it's going to work out, but I'm prepared to give him more time to try. 

I wish I could have seen more from him, it sucks not having belief in your team but I'd just be kidding myself if I said I believe he can change things next year.

I wanted Bruce out but I wanted a something from our end of the season to tell me I was wrong. What I've seen has just convinced me more.  

What was clear today was that Bruce needs some assistance in coaching attacking movement.

We got into some great positions today only to dwell on the ball or players not reading each others runs or movement.

There were plenty of chances but we could dramatically improve our attacking play.

Bring in a forward minded coach to drill the midfield and attack into some decent flowing moves.

• Like 3

I have been a huge critic of Bruce for good reason, but today I don't think he could have done much more, he was shouting at the players the whole game and the majority of them looked up for it and had some composure, we were never second best cept maybe for one short Brighton spell. I thought Hogan looked ok before the injury and Davis looked really promising.

Not saying this changes much, as one performance doesn't change the dross that has mostly peppered the season.

I genuinely think that injuries have cost us some points, not enough to make a difference, but Green and RHM should be in the squad every week, so should Davis on that display. 

• Like 2

One positive from today was that we were without our creative outlet and playmaker in Hutton, our bearded guy who heads the ball a lot and makes sure we don't have to keep the ball in the team in Jedi, and our striker Kodija who scores all our goals even thou he get's no service.

And we still didn't lose, or look worse than usual. :hooray:

Edited by sne

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

Get a grip. What else was he meant to do?

Move Bree to center half, drop Amavi to left back and bring on O'Hare. We were 1-0 down in a dead runner, it would have given the kid a run out and perhaps as a striker he may have even scored. We could have found out a bit about the kid, whereas we already know Elfick is a liability, which he didn't take long to prove!

Edited by DaveAV1

Just now, DaveAV1 said:

Move Bree to center half, drop Amavi to left back and bring O'Hare. We were 1-0 down in a dead runner, it would have given the kid a run out and perhaps as a striker he may have even scored. We could have found out a bit about the kid, whereas we already know Elfick is a liability, which he didn't take long to prove!

Who was playing right back then? the left footed Taylor?

Sadly it was the right call - neither of the full backs are centre halves.

If Jedinak were on the pitch, the decision would've been to move him back as cover and bring on another midfielder but we didn't have the personnel to do that.

I can't blame Bruce today for bringing on Elphick.

• Like 1

Â