Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

His first wobble for me today. Should have done something to shore up the midfield where we were losing everything but started changing the front players and reduce the midfield. Was very lucky to get away with it,  would love to hear his explanation. 

22 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

He was trying to stop the main problem which was our front players weren't holding on to the ball which meant we couldn't get out.

Changing the midfield wouldn't have changed the dynamics of the game, we would still have been under pressure.

He was trying to remove the pressure rather than improve how we were handling it.

For me the pressure was more because we were not picking up ANY second balls in midfield,  every bounce,  every stray pass,  every ricochet was straight to their midfield. I felt we needed more hands in the middle to win / intercept the ball then move it onto the strikers. 

Then again maybe this is why Bruce is a professional football manager and I work in an office. 

Edited by sidcow

Just now, sidcow said:

For me the pressure was more because we were not picking up ANY second balls in midfield,  every bounce,  every stray pass,  Evers ricochet was straight to their midfield. I felt we needed more hands in the middle to win / intercept the ball then move it onto the strikers. 

Then again maybe this is why Bruce is a professional football manager and I work in an office. 

That was a symptom of the problem, the main issue is we couldn't retain possession up top. But then I work in an office..... :)

2 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

He was trying to stop the main problem which was our front players weren't holding on to the ball which meant we couldn't get out.

Changing the midfield wouldn't have changed the dynamics of the game, we would still have been under pressure.

Exactly the ball wasn't sticking up top and changing the midfield wouldn't have changed that. I would personally of took McComack off around the hour mark as he was totally ineffective and for me not a wide player and bought Gestede on, pushing Kodjia outwide, as we were on the back foot and needed that out let. I do understand though that substituting a substitute would have dented McCormacks confidence.

Overall though I am really pleased with the start he has made and after 4 games I'd have bitten your hand off for 8 points. If he can keep up that points to game ratio we will be laughing. Nice little run of unbeaten games as well which gives us a nice platform to build on.

• Like 3

Only thing I would question is why, when Adomah went off, he didn't bring Gestede on and move Kodjia to the right wing. I think that would possibly have worked better. But he's still unbeaten. 

If we're serious about getting to the playoffs, we need to beat Blackburn though. They're utter shit. 

7 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I think that is a big exaggeration. They had the better of the second half but you need to remember we were the away side here and being a goal down Sha were always going to come at us. We couldn't get the ball to stick up top which was an issue but one which Bruce tried to correct by making two changes up front.

In the end we had 40% possession and restricted the home side to three shots on target. With the quality we have up top if we can continue to restrict the opposition teams chances, as we have done for much of Bruce's short time here, then we will pick up points as has been shown.

Spot on, as always.

18 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

That game was worrying. I thought we were recovering under Bruce not too sure now.

We got completely dominated, embarrasing and not acceptable.

4 points away from home against reading and blues and they are both right in the playoff mix. And we aren't recovering? Yeah, ok.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Exactly the ball wasn't sticking up top and changing the midfield wouldn't have changed that. I would personally of took McComack off around the hour mark as he was totally ineffective and for me not a wide player and bought Gestede on, pushing Kodjia outwide, as we were on the back foot and needed that out let. I do understand though that substituting a substitute would have dented McCormacks confidence.

Overall though I am really pleased with the start he has made and after 4 games I'd have bitten your hand off for 8 points. If he can keep up that points to game ratio we will be laughing. Nice little run of unbeaten games as well which gives us a nice platform to build on.

Personally, I wouldnt have brought McCormack off, I'd have shifted him inside and JK out right.

JK was awful through the middle and we looked terrible knocking it long. He should have moved those two around and got the ball into McCormack's feet, I don't think their centre halfs would have coped with the ball on the deck. 

I'm slightly dissapointed as they are dogshit, I just don't think we try to play enough football. 

That said, still pleased with the Bruce effect so far. 

Literally the only thing I'm worried about is that long ball mentality creeping back in. Thought Steve said he wants to play a passing game. Not always possible I guess and hard scraps like today don't really allow the chance to ping it around. Tough game in a tough environment against a tough team. Happy with the point.

Â