Next Villa Manager

Richard

4 hours ago, TRO said:

Thats what we need......chemistry

Pre-season, just drop the lot of them - Bear Grylls style - into the Pacific ocean somewhere close to an isolated island, armed with a Swiss army knife and a compass. Go back three weeks later and all those that survived, together with having had the creativity to make a ball and play football with it every day, get to stay at the club next season and be part of the first team. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

Just give him whatever he wants...

Within just a week, however, Wagner had made his mark.

Training schedules were changed to mirror kick-off times. Players were instructed to move within 15 miles of the training ground. And a high-intensity playing style - which the hipsters call 'gegenpressing', Wagner prefers 'Terriers identity' - was vigorously enforced.

'It has worked!' exclaims Wagner,

Wagner certainly did not know how his players would respond to a pre-season trip around a chain of uninhabited islands off the Swedish coast.

Okay, so the trip was into the wilderness. Canoeing from island to island. Eight hours a day. We built tents. We found water. We found food. We had to fish. 

We cooked it. There was no electricity. No toilet. No mobile phone coverage. It was great!' he finally exhales, somehow making the notion of such primitive isolation sound like a five-star resort.

'This was the training, for four days. No balls. We made it uncomfortable, because in the Championship there is no comfort zone.

Wagner studied biology and sports science at Darmstadt University for five years when he retired from playing in 2005. Why? 'I wanted to understand why a manager did something with me in training,' he explains.

'What happens inside my body when he tells me to run 6 x 1000m with 90 seconds break? Why? Why is this good? I did it as a player, because I trusted my manager.

'But, after studying, let me just say that not everyone was right… I can now talk with my medical team on a different level and we are able to find new ways. It gave me a greater perspective of a manager's work.

'It's good if you know what you are doing to your players!' Five years at university for the father of two young girls was also a test of Wagner's discipline, not to mention his ability to study a new subject.

'To be honest, if I'd known how hard biology was, I would not have done it,' he says. 'The first part was only chemistry, and I hate chemistry. One and a half years studying chemistry! 

Full article...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3824135/David-Wagner-Jurgen-Klopp-clone-bizarre-bonding-sessions-Huddersfield-dreaming-big-time.html

OK now i really want him. He just seems different. Trying new things.. love the medical side of things that hes delving in to. Not just doing it because they did it in the 80's. I am sure theres more that he is not telling the world too. He really is a mini Klopp. Could be just as good one day.. you never know. Worth a gamble. Bruce doesnt guarantee success either. I think something different like this guy may be what we need. Structure.. purpose.. a plan. 

Interesting interview. Sounds like he has alot of staff.. medical.. analytical.. statistical etc..Going to be hard to get them all over if he wants them. We really need to go after this guy. He just seems like a great character. A bit of a german Sherwood.. (personality wise).. RDM was bland. Garde was bland. Doubt he will leave but Xia must throw everything at him. 

Edited by KSV

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

I actually hate Steve Bruce, I always have. not just because of blues connection, but when he was at United, Sunderland, Wigan, the way he treated Crystal Palace even his pathetic tantrum at Sheffield United about sportsmanship. I do really despise the man and dont want him near the club

I didn't despise Sherwood, garde, di matteo or lambert and look how they turned out. Popularity contest doesn't bother me. It's not like I am going to go for a beer with him, as long as he gets us winning and turns it around that's what is important. 

We can have a managerial reality show like 'Top Chef' or 'The Apprentice', where aspiring football managers compete for the opportunity to manage a real-life professional football club. We'll alternate managers by week and have a panel of fans, former players, and B-list celebrity judges assess the results and eliminate poor performers. This season's winner will get the chance to manage us next season in League One.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Woodytom said:

Making training sessions mirror match times is such a basic thing, I'm stunned every club doesnt do it.

No I'm not actually, its become as clear as day that most ppl in football are as thick as pigshit.

My thoughts are going this way. Reading how 'revolutionary' Wagner methods are makes me wonder what goes on at other training grounds. 

7 minutes ago, tinker said:

My thoughts are going this way. Reading how 'revolutionary' Wagner methods are makes me wonder what goes on at other training grounds. 

Frightening thoughts. Really frightening. 

I studied a Walsall youth coach as part of my course. It wasn't great looking back. I also had the chance to watch Paul merson coach.... my god absolutely diabolical.  

I'm sure I've seen pictures of the villa players jogging around the outside of the pitch..... seriously, what the hell is that all about? 

Sports coaching can be so in depth and specific that the villa players hit peak fitness and condition at 4.30pm on a Saturday...... or in line with the whatever time the last 15 minutes fall of that game..... its very clear that they don't and that's unforgivable at this level. 

• Like 2

Wagner would be more of a risk, but very exciting appointment for me.  As a fan I think I would be very excited about what he could do. He could be a flop, but my feeling is he could lead us all the way to where we want to get to in the PL.  Bruce would be the short-term, pragmatic, work like appointment.  As a fan I would not be very exited tbh, more acceptance that this is what it has come to.  Could get promoted again - probably in 2018.  Would back him but......

Problem is I am not sure we could prize Wagner away from his "project" at Huddersfield - reflected in the betting I think.

I think Clark will get the chance if he can manage 1 win and 3 draws over the next few games. I think we will beat Wolves.

If he doesn't  then the wheel of managerial misfortune will be spun  by our forward thinking board of directors, who apart from Little I don't have any confidence in at all.

They will go with the easy no risk no hassle option. 

4 minutes ago, Folski said:

Any chance of Wagner?

I think there is a chance but it will be tough. We've lots to offer but there are also plenty of reasons not to come here as well as reasons to stay there.

Whatever happens it won't come down to money I'm certain.

5 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I think there is a chance but it will be tough. We've lots to offer but there are also plenty of reasons not to come here as well as reasons to stay there.

Whatever happens it won't come down to money I'm certain.

That's all we can hope for I think.

Wagner strikes me as an honourable man who is on a career mission. Huddersfield have given him the opportunity to make a name for himself in the toughest league structure in the world. He has a philosophy and a plan and I think he would wish to see how successful he can be with those. To leave Huddersfield after only a few months to go to a bigger club with greater resources might seem like a 'no brainer' but it could also taint his reputation and if it all goes pear shaped (as it often does at Villa) then his career could be on a premature downward spiral not only in the UK but on the continent too. It would be interesting to have him at AVFC but I wouldn't be surprised if he honoured his contract in order to repay the faith shown in him and the opportunity given to him.

• Like 4

Oh dear, it's going to be Stevie Bruce isn't it?  Oh well, how about these (with some fine tuning maybe)?

Dr Tone got in his car

but it ran out of juice

so he couldn't go too far

and ended up with Bruuuce

and

Cheer Up Stevie Bruuuuce

Oh what can it mean

now you're manager of Villa

yes, a BIG football teeam

:-(