Next Villa Manager

Richard

5 hours ago, terrytini said:

I sometimes think football is a bit 'emperors new clothes'.

This thread reminds me very much of a chat I had recently with my lads who wanted to get rid of his knackered old Vauxhall. he said there were all sorts of bits wrong with it, kept conking out on him, and it was well past its scrap by date.  Trouble is, all the cars he could afford to replace it with were full of faults of their own.

When I read of Wagner needing his own players and lacking experience, and Bruce having had as many failures as successes, (not to mention being widely slated for his absence of tactical flexibility) and God knows how many old names from the merry go round who have more faults than qualities, makes me think, I thought most of us thought anyone with half a brain could get this Team winning ?  Perhaps not. Almost without exception our next guy will either have failed in previous jobs and been sacked, or, if he hasn't it will be because he's not been in the game long enough !

IMO it makes no difference who we get, none whatsoever.  At the level we are recruiting whether they will do well is, as before, almost entirely down to luck.

Some say (and I agree) "have a project, build for the future" - the amount of times we have said this, the amount of times other Clubs have said it - if it was that easy everyone would do it - nothing is more of a cliché than 'a project'.  And all it really does is enable a new guy to perform pretty poorly in Year One.

Some say (and again, I agree) get a new bright hope - but again, every Club would do this if it worked.  Odds are that if we go down that route it wont work - for every Wenger there are hundreds of Owen Coyles et al.

Some think 'experience' will get us promoted this year - (and yet again, I 'agree') again, if it was a simple as that Bruce and Redknapp, for example, would be highly sought after, rather than ignored.

People that want a guy in particular will easily find enough reasons to get him.  And others will find enough reasons not to.

So for my money that stick the names in a hat, do away with the charade of pretending that some Solomon like wisdom is going to prevail, and choose whoever.

And whoever it is, all keep our fingers crossed they get some luck.

Lot of wisdom in that Terry, but I think you give too much credence to those who select managers when you say if it was so easy "they would all do that".....No one is saying it is easy.

Let me put another point to you....How many managers would play one in midfield, (one that won the European cup)....never in a million years I hear folk say.....none in our division would do that, so not all do the same thing.

Because Like Lambert declared.....some can't see the woods for the trees.....I think RDM entered the same woods as Lambert

Long Ball....Short passing game.....Managers disagree......Doctors disagree......scientists Disagree.

Its all about opinions and yes we do need that bit of Luck as you say

Not everything works for everybody....every club has different problems, whilst having similar problems, its a paradox.

as Big Ron said at Peterborough, shouting and bawling doesn't work every week, but now and again it might be necessary.....its all about balance, not everything works all the time, but most things work every so often....thats where decision making comes in.

I hear Tom Ross say in tonights B/mail commenting on RDM.....about keeping a settled side......Thats all well and good when you are winning, try doing that when you are not winning, everyone expects you to change it to find the winning formula.

There are so many platitudes flying around I feel dizzy.

I wish I knew the answer.

as for Wenger....it might be worth mentioning the credit to David Dein for having his eye stretch to the other side of the world.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, AJ said:

I cannot recall anyone on this thread saying that Bruce's day is done. 

You need to read back then,  I posted specifically because I read several comments saying that. 

Just now, TRO said:

think Pearson & Moyes was favourites last time.....RDM was out of the blue.

I recall RDM, Garde and Sherwood all becoming odds on by most bookies before it was announced.  I remember Sherwood in particular as many told me Bookies odds don't mean anything and Sherwood could never be manager.

1 hour ago, Gary Thomas said:

Should have got that Warnock fella......(warning: video contains a lot of swearing)

would love to know if they turned it around and won 3-2  or if they lost 5-0

3 hours ago, Flynnchin84 said:

200.gif

You can't have been on VT for very long then. This is the site that has posters saying a one minutes applause for an infant who died from leukaemia is a waste of time. Saying appointing the worlds best football managers is 'risky' is nothing lol.

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

You need to read back then,  I posted specifically because I read several comments saying that. 

Apologies, Sid. I agree, it is a bit silly for people to say that.

59 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

He's with AJ reading back... 

Its not what I call fun. He insists on reading everything aloud. A stroke effected duck has better elocution.

• Like 1