Next Villa Manager

Richard

I understand why some would want an experienced manager like Bruce, but personally I'd prefer to roll the dice and appoint someone like Wagner - I also understand why some think that that would be a risk. 

The past number of years have been awful and for me the appointment of Bruce would usher in yet another uninspiring period, dividing the fan base. 

I classify Wagner in a similar category to the appointment of Lambert and Garde as a manager to build our future, they didn't work out but much of this for me was due to the owner at the time - I think with support it could be different and exciting. I was against Sherwood and RDM ( for different reasons) and Bruce would be another appointment I would find it hard to get behind (nothing to do with SHA connection by the way)

Fingers crossed for Wagner

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Steve Clarke, anyone? He's already on the payroll, and knows the players...

Being on the payroll is irrelevant, but knowing the players might be an advantage.  We should get the best man possible, if the powers that be decide that is Clarke so be it.  While he has been assistant coach our basics - movement, passing and fitness - have been shocking, especially over the last four games.  Would we see more of the same from Clarke - that would be my concern.

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, hippo said:

I actually think over strategizing has cost the club dearly over the years. It seemed make 'dross today' acceptable because we had a manager who was instilling an ethos into the club. Complete rubbish of course. Football more than ever is about the hear and now. Sure you have fergie and wenger - but on the whole most clubs are changing manager every 2.5 years or so.

Win the next 6 on the bounce and everything will look better - loose em and the new manager will tell us he is changing the culture of the club.

No bizarre appointments and lack of investment has cost the club. Having a long term plan doesn't necessarily have to mean being shit to start off with. It is possible to have both. 

43 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

If I put a million quid on Wagner to be the next manager does that make it more likely to happen or would it just mean that the bookies will shorten the odds?

It would mean you somehow know that Wagner is the next manager and bookies will suspend betting. Either that or you're rich and nuts!

On a serious note no bookie would touch a massive bet in a manager market. 

4 hours ago, briggaman said:

I think this will be a big leap of faith, no matter who we appoint. The squad has just had a complete overhaul and the players are still only beginning to gel. Teams aren't generally thrown together overnight and despite the money we have spent, time should still be given for the team to adapt. We certainly have one of the strongest sides in the league on paper and it will be down to the next manage to unlock that potential. I'm not going to write anyone off until they are given a fair chance. Even the steady option of Bruce is a risk to an extent, although he would probably be amongst my top picks. Whoever it is they are going to need time and patience. I just hope us supporters understand that and that the board do too. Hopefully we can make a push for the top six this season, yet we need to ensure that we are promoted by the end of the following season in any case. We should not be down here...

agree with that.

but if you play one in midfield, you will be waiting forever to gel.

The gelling is a legitimate claim.....but a lot else has to be right too first.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gary Thomas said:

Should have got that Warnock fella......(warning: video contains a lot of swearing)

Brilliant.....Thanks Gary

I suspect it won't be everyones cup of tea.....but I would suspect that has been a similar team talk in the opposition dressing rooms in all the games we have conceded this term.

I would also suspect similar moments in Fergie and Cloughie's dressing room.

However, Warnock is not now available, whether we would want him or not.....but surely a large portion of that old style is missing from us.

Sure the game has moved on.....but you ignore some of that at your peril.....and it seems like we have.

ps Westwood would have been hanging from the flood lights at half time

pps I have to admit.....Thats exactly how I would be. Its easy to be calm and collected when you are winning.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mykeyb said:

1 hour ago, mykeyb said:

If I put a million quid on Wagner to be the next manager does that make it more likely to happen or would it just mean that the bookies will shorten the odds?

Depends if your name is Joey Barton and you actually are ITK. 

Speaking of ITK's, IncogAVFC and twitter saying it's definitely Bruce now. Which means it definitely might possibly not be Bruce. 

1 hour ago, mykeyb said:

Edited by Sam3773
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mykeyb said:

Not sure about you, but if I did that it would guarantee that Steve Bruce would be appointed manager within minutes.