Next Villa Manager

Richard

6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I've come to the conclusion that all football managers are crap. 

I was beginning to edge towards that theory too....well the vast majority:)

opportunists most of them.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, TRO said:

Think you may be right.  When you look at some of the rubbish we serve up on a Saturday - I do often question what the hell we are doing in training.  What often amazes me are those little training drills they do before a game.  You know the one, the coach rolls the ball to the player, the player does a little shimmy and shoots with just the goalkeeper to beat. The times our players scuff shots, hit it miles over the bar or wide astounds me at times - and they wonder why we don't finish more chances. Then during games. You watch players stand still like statues - no runs, no movement into space, misplaced passes galore, no organization, no energy - the list goes on.  Surely any manager worth his salt would see these most basic errors and work like mad to fix them, but they never seem to.  We get the post match interview - 'I thought we were unlucky, we worked really hard, we had two good chances'.  I sometimes think you could pick someone in the crowd and they would do no worse. Maybe that's what separates the wheat from the chaff - those that do well actually have managers who know what they're doing.  Lets hope we get one.

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 3

No matter how many Murdock's Sky Football monopoly, the press (murdoch's clan & the like) SkyBet (murdoch's clan.....) managers names are put forward 10 or 100. Only 1 will get the job.

Go Tony, Keith, Steve & SirBrian

UTV

VTID

SOTheRest

37 minutes ago, TRO said:

This is how I feel too—it's come about over the last year or so for some reason. I think we've just had a succession of chancers. Sherwood and Di Matteo definitely. I just feel sorry for Garde, maybe he's a chancer too, but either way he was given an impossible job.  

19 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

Think you may be right.  When you look at some of the rubbish we serve up on a Saturday - I do often question what the hell we are doing in training.  What often amazes me are those little training drills they do before a game.  You know the one, the coach rolls the ball to the player, the player does a little shimmy and shoots with just the goalkeeper to beat. The times our players scuff shots, hit it miles over the bar or wide astounds me at times - and they wonder why we don't finish more chances. Then during games. You watch players stand still like statues - no runs, no movement into space, misplaced passes galore, no organization, no energy - the list goes on.  Surely any manager worth his salt would see these most basic errors and work like mad to fix them, but they never seem to.  We get the post match interview - 'I thought we were unlucky, we worked really hard, we had two good chances'.  I sometimes think you could pick someone in the crowd and they would do no worse. Maybe that's what separates the wheat from the chaff - those that do well actually have managers who know what they're doing.  Lets hope we get one.

By the end Di Matteo was bigging up that we were getting corners. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

I have very often thought that about both.

Champagne Charlies ,no conviction, no passion, no drive.....don't care.one eye on compensation....scandalous

People can say what they like about the likes of Warnock....they might be dinosaurs....but in terms of the play on the park they are honest managers., looking for an honest shift from the players.

We need another Graham Taylor Mk 1

Edited by TRO

12 minutes ago, TRO said:

People can say what they like about the likes of Warnock....they might be dinosaurs....but in terms of the play on the park they are honest managers., looking for an honest shift from the players.

An honest bunch of lads?

35 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Sven Goran Eriksson

I would not be averse to this actually.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, av1 said:

Its interesting that Murphy and the Mail keep naming Dyche as a target.  

I be frankly amazed if we could tempt a PL manager. 

Well there are Premier League managers and then there are Premier League managers, if you get me.

I always use the escalator analogy.  Burnley are on the up escalator and Villa are on the down.  But both clubs' natural order (yeah, come at me bro) puts Villa much higher.  So if Dyche can hop across to our one as Burnley come alongside or even overtake us, as is currently the case, then why wouldn't he?  Especially considering our circumstances off the pitch have massively improved in the past 6 months.  I could fully understand someone not wanting to join a club with a For Sale sign outside the gate.  But Dyche should be honoured to get the opportunity, as should many others.  I'm not saying you specifically are playing us down, but I do read a lot of our fans wondering why managers would want to come to this club :-/

• Like 3

The Next Villa Manager should be one who has done his homework on us and can clearly demonstrate that in his presentation.

One who spends little time telling the interviewer what he has done in the past, but spends his time, energy and enthusiasm of what he is going to do to improve us (based on his research to date) in the coming weeks.

He needs to illustrate his short, medium and long term goals.

He needs to deal in concise and feasible explanations of method and structure that he intends to apply and a timescale for the progress to bear shoots.

He needs to demonstrate his ability to monitor individual player development by appraisal on a timely and consistent basis and implement a rewards system for outstanding dedication to duty.

He needs to be able to communicate clearly to board and fans, when/if  necessary,why he does what he does, when he does it.

He needs to have an open policy on training and be free to explain his methods to those within the club.

While results are the holy grail, The new manager needs to be able to present a set of core values that illustrate to the board that despite results not being what they are he has a complete handle on all the key elements that are crucial to achieving success.....Luck is not measurable but important and no manager should have to rely wholly and soley on it.....for the good or bad.

Any manager worth his salt and confidence in his own ability, should have no problem with this......opportunists with large ego's may struggle.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, BOF said:

Well there are Premier League managers and then there are Premier League managers, if you get me.

I always use the escalator analogy.  Burnley are on the up escalator and Villa are on the down.  But both clubs' natural order (yeah, come at me bro) puts Villa much higher.  So if Dyche can hop across to our one as Burnley come alongside or even overtake us, as is currently the case, then why wouldn't he?  Especially considering our circumstances off the pitch have massively improved in the past 6 months.  I could fully understand someone not wanting to join a club with a For Sale sign outside the gate.  But Dyche should be honoured to get the opportunity, as should many others.  I'm not saying you specifically are playing us down, but I do read a lot of our fans wondering why managers would want to come to this club :-/

I guess the other way to look at it is that if things go wrong for him here, as it has all managers over the past 5 years, where does he go from there? Ultimately I guess it depends how much he backs himself to turn this mess around. He could easily try and establish Burnley as a Premier League team, and wait for a "bigger" Premier League team to come in for him after doing such an amazing job there, rather than risk it all by becoming the Villa manager. 

Edited by PieFacE

21 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I guess the other way to look at it is that if things go wrong for him here, as it has all managers over the past 5 years, where does he go from there? Ultimately I guess it depends how much he backs himself to turn this mess around. He could easily try and establish Burnley as a Premier League team, and wait for a "bigger" Premier League team to come in for him after doing such an amazing job there, rather than risk it all by becoming the Villa manager. 

Firstly, that was previous ownership so there were massive extenuating circumstances around why those managers failed.  So the next appointment cannot look back at failures under Lerner.  I'd also say that Dyche would and should back himself to turn it around.  As should any manager brought in.  Otherwise why are you a manager?  And given that we would be the 4th or 5th 7th largest Premier League club upon promotion, I'd say Dyche will be waiting a long long time if he was to wait for a bigger Premier League side than Villa to come calling.

1 minute ago, BOF said:

Firstly, that was previous ownership so there were massive extenuating circumstances around why those managers failed.  So the next appointment cannot look back at failures under Lerner.  I'd also say that Dyche would and should back himself to turn it around.  As should any manager brought in.  Otherwise why are you a manager?  And given that we would be the 4th or 5th largest Premier League club upon promotion, I'd say Dyche will be waiting a long long time if he was to wait for a bigger Premier League side than Villa to come calling.

How exactly have you come to the conclusion that Villa would be the 4th or 5th largest Premier League team upon promotion?  (I appreciate we may be getting into "what makes a club a big club" territory, but I'm genuinely interested in how you've come to that)

3 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

How exactly have you come to the conclusion that Villa would be the 4th or 5th largest Premier League team upon promotion?  (I appreciate we may be getting into "what makes a club a big club" territory, but I'm genuinely interested in how you've come to that)

We're very much in the what makes a big club territory.  Yeah maybe I overstated slightly.  We'd be 7th factoring in the nouveau shite.  The main point about Dyche waiting for any of the others to call him still stands though.  We're as big as he's ever likely to get.

I still think there is a big gulf between the perception of the football club as an entity......and the potential career breaking task of the team.

I think for a man like Dean Smith there is a small risk.....but a chance he could throw himself "a double 6"

This job has gobbled up a few....mainly their own fault IMO (and some with the wrong skill set for us).....but it has.