Next Villa Manager

Richard

51 minutes ago, Chindie said:

We don't need to gamble. We can't afford to gamble. Whoever comes in has to come in and immediately shoulder the weight of expectation and thrive. There are absolutely young managers capable of that. But not all. There are young managers performing brilliantly in their first or second jobs with unfancied sides, but the worry is perhaps they've thrived with little or no pressure or expectation, or perhaps it's just a perfect storm of the right environment the right players and the right time. Do I fancy a young flavour of the month to come into this mess with a big job to do and enormous expectation and pressure from the get go to succeed? Not really.

An old head, been there and done that, with a career already established and who's seen a lot of crap? I'd be happier.

Not just anyone though. I'd prefer not to the circus act men like Warnock or Holloway, the kind of manager who might perform but brings their own sideshow of nonsense.

Agree, though I was looking forward to seeing who you were going to suggest ;)

I can only think of one person who fits this description and might come to us in our current circumstances, as much as it pains me to admit it but desperate times and all that; Steve Bruce.

I'd take Allardyce even in disgrace, that's how bad we are, but I can't see anyone touching him for a while, so Bruce it is.

Edited by Ginko

Just now, avfc1982 said:

Can't see him taking another job so soon. I'd imagine he'd like to hide away in shame till at least next season. 

Sadly, I think you are right. We may have employed and sacked someone else by then! 

It does need to be an older head with plenty of experience. This job comes with huge pressure and expectation levels are high so for me at the present time it isn't a job for the likes of Wagner, Rowett, Dean Smith.

I'd take Bruce. He has 4 promotions from this division on his CV the most recent just last season. The football wouldn't be pretty but it would be effective and I'd take that all day long. Almost certainly not the right man long term or if/when we get back in the Prem but for where we are now ideal. 

Another decent shout would be Hughton who has plenty of experience and knows this division inside out and has a promotion with a club with huge expectation levels like us.

Living in la la land now but ultimately I'd want Dyche. The ceiling at Aston Villa is way higher than Burnley despite them currently being a division above us. Mid season though we'd have pretty much no chance getting someone to drop a division.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Ginko said:

Agree, though I was looking forward to seeing who you were going to suggest ;)

I can only think of one person who fits this description and might come to us in our current circumstances, as much as it pains me to admit it but desperate times and all that; Steve Bruce.

I'd take Allardyce even in disgrace, that's how bad we are, but I can't see anyone touching him for a while, so Bruce it is.

I can only think of Bruce.

Big Sam would have been on the list but no longer obviously. McCarthy would probably steady the ship well enough but I couldn't see him getting us up now. McLaren has too much baggage on his reputation now, one wobble would do him with the fanbase and the squad and it would be a tumble to failure from there. Warnock and Holloway bring too much of the clown act. Pearson is a walking time bomb and his reputation proceeds him.

And then I'm struggling. Houghton? Wouldn't be the worst call.

Edited by Chindie

Matters very little who comes in next. They will also appear to be better than the last on first glance. They will also talk a good game in their opening press conference. But ultimately they will also be sacked within a few months. 

• Like 2

Read about Wagner since I know nothing about him. Seems like a Klopp Mk II. Would bang. May be difficult to attract and it would also be a gamble however, as he lacks experience (no not just the fabled Championship experience, but managerial experience in general). Similar stories for Rowett and Johnson.

On the other hand you have managers who offer a great probability of securing promotion in the next 2 seasons (unfortunately this season is pretty far gone and we'd have to bite the hand off at the offer of top 6 now, which is still a bit of a lottery in the end), but who may hit their ceiling in the Premier League and you'd be thinking about replacements from the day they started. Top of this list has to be Bruce for me, has the best record of promotions, including just last season, is out of work (and not as a result of a recent failure).

I'd be happy enough with any of those mentioned, and probably a few more not mentioned (e.g. Dyche) but I can also sympathise with those who would only like appointments from either of those categories. I'm glad it's not my decision to make, you'll never please everybody. Even Guardiola would probably be questioned by some for a lack of Championship experience.

Just read through managers who are out of a job on Transfermarkt. Mancini and Blanc are the top names but I wouldn't want either. Helped by having great players around. The name that sticks out to me is Thomas Schaaf but as I said yesterday. Won't happen.

28 minutes ago, avfc1982 said:

Can't see him taking another job so soon. I'd imagine he'd like to hide away in shame till at least next season. 

he's not for me for what he has shown himself to be, but understand why people want him.  He'll end up on the panel at Sky....another job for the boys club !!!!!

Edited by imavillan

9 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

Just read through managers who are out of a job on Transfermarkt. Mancini and Blanc are the top names but I wouldn't want either. Helped by having great players around. The name that sticks out to me is Thomas Schaaf but as I said yesterday. Won't happen.

LOL wouldn't want Laurent Blanc? Are you mad? He'd laugh at any approach from us though and I'd be laughing with him.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Chindie said:

Its 2 promotions isn't it? He got Hull up twice.

Also the 9 years figure is misleading. He got Blues up prior to that twice, and considerable years of that 9 he was managing in the Prem with Wigan, Sunderland and Hull.

Bruce isn't a great manager, and certainly not at Prem level, and the Blues thing is always going to haunt him... But I'd sooner have him in the seat than RDM or a fair few others.

Did he? Now you mention it I think he did. Okay if so, that's better !

Yes he did get Blues up but that was ages ago............without the more recent ones I would say all but meaningless, which is why as I thought it was just the one it didn't amount to a lot.  But as its 4, I will revise my view.  He would be okay.

Still think make Dyche an offer he cant refuse though.

The trouble is any manager who comes in will have the same fairly limited midfield set to choose from. I guess the reality is the midfield doesn't have to be that good, it just has to do a job.

Tish can do the main job, you just need players like Gardener, Bacuna, Lyden, to do the leg work and to be honest we don't know if any of them can do the job needed. Bacuna doesn't look like midfielder and sadly we need him at right back, Gardener has blown his chances so far but he has a decent shot on him and can do well from set pieces and Lyden we've seen little of. But you would hope that Lyden and Tish could cover the ground and Gardener could play a little further forward.

Gollini

Bacuna -- Chester - Elphick -- Amavi

Tish -- Lyden

Gardener

Kodjia -- McCormack

Gestede

Now the above lacks natural width, although you'd hope Amavi and maybe even Bacuna could provide some whilst even if Kodjia and McCormack aren't wingers either they can at least cut in from wide positions. It's a far from perfect line up but at least it's solid and it gives us good subs to bring on if we need to go for broke.

then we need to sign a new midfielder or two in Jan and defensive cover.

Edited by VillanousOne

Look whoever we appoint is a gamble. Every football managerial appointment is , you obviously do your homework but there are no certainties. We appointed a champions league winner and he's flopped. Personally, I'd like to see us get David Wagner. Though in typical villa fashion we would probably end up agreeing to take Jonathan Hogg back as well for about 15 million. Our last 3 managers were out of work. Let's get somebody who's currently doing well and in employment.

2 hours ago, av1 said:

I have said previously that i would like Gary Rowett, so this will probably sound a bit hypocritical, but the more i think of it, the more i am beginning to think that we need a steady appointment rather than yet another gamble. 

I suppose Bruce falls into that bracket. He isnt the most exciting manager in the world but he is, well....steady. He is an experienced guy who seems to have done a "decent" job wherever he has been with only the odd disaster on his CV, which you would probably expect having spent so long in the business of football. 

Is he my first choice? Not really, but he certainly wouldn't be last on my list. 

Yeah, revised my view a bit after learning Bruce has had 2 recent promotions not one, as I thought.  We could do worse. Plus at least it would be funny at first when we sing 'Potato Head ' at him...........and, once results go wrong, we can all really give him some stick !!;)

Edited by terrytini