Next Villa Manager

Richard

12 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Nobody is going to touch Big Sam with a bargepole for a very long time, if ever again. Had he not just been caught out, and wasn't England manager, I'd certainly have him on the list.

But now? Not a chance.

I feel the same with Pearson, who I championed before RDM.

but not now.

We don't need to gamble. We can't afford to gamble. Whoever comes in has to come in and immediately shoulder the weight of expectation and thrive. There are absolutely young managers capable of that. But not all. There are young managers performing brilliantly in their first or second jobs with unfancied sides, but the worry is perhaps they've thrived with little or no pressure or expectation, or perhaps it's just a perfect storm of the right environment the right players and the right time. Do I fancy a young flavour of the month to come into this mess with a big job to do and enormous expectation and pressure from the get go to succeed? Not really.

An old head, been there and done that, with a career already established and who's seen a lot of crap? I'd be happier.

Not just anyone though. I'd prefer not to the circus act men like Warnock or Holloway, the kind of manager who might perform but brings their own sideshow of nonsense.

Edited by Chindie
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

I'd be happy for us to try and poach warburton from rangers. 

Dont want us to sign a Bruce, allardyce or warnock type. 

I think that is exactly what we need( short term).....It would destroy a young manager at the moment.

I actually think Bruce maybe the best for this season. Our squad is an ageing one, nowhere near the worth the money we paid. Most over the hill players who are quite frankly pass their best days. A progressive manager would probably need a young, fit and hungry squad. Get Potato head in he'll do better than RDM.

Whoever we get though I don't expect us to become a team that wins every week. Tony/we have been mugged off with a lot of these signings, unfit and lacking in energy, old and or crocks.

Edited by NottingVilla

16 minutes ago, KSV said:

Its what we need. Experience. Someone to come and settle the side.. get us promoted.. keep us up and then we can bring in the young and hungry manager who can take us to the next level. Until then.. we need the experienced manager.

My fear with the likes of Bruce is, we'd be looking to replace him within 2-3 seasons and have to start over again. 

On paper, rdm (esp with Clarke as no.2) is experienced. That worked out well. 

I actually think we need a manager the players can relate and listen to. 

24 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

My fear with the likes of Bruce is, we'd be looking to replace him within 2-3 seasons and have to start over again. 

I'll happily try and replace him in 2 years if we are back in the PL 

• Like 1

Bruce plays a turgid brand of football and is becoming a dinosaur in management. 

How come other teams get the best out of fresher managers with arguably worse squads and facilities to work with? 

We need a good fit, not a quick fix (in my opinion) 

• Like 1

If you have a large business that is haemorrhaging money at a rapid rate,it is reasonable to bring in an MD who can deal with that task of bringing the business back to break even.....That takes a certain set of skills.

To move the business on from Break even may require another MD with a different set of skills designed to take the business in to profit.

That can be the same situation with football managers.

We need to fully understand where we are.

16 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

If you think we are going to find 1 manager that will take us from this cesspit to the promised land.....I wish you well.

5 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Bruce plays a turgid brand of football and is becoming a dinosaur in management. 

How come other teams get the best out of fresher managers with arguably worse squads and facilities to work with? 

We need a good fit, not a quick fix (in my opinion) 

I don't think brand of football matters at the moment. Success is the bottom line. 

As for why we struggle... Other clubs don't have the pressure we do. We're one of the biggest clubs in the country and have had years of under investment and fumbled appointments and signings. A manager comes in with immediate pressure to succeed and starts with the deck, to one degree or another, stacked against them. Take whoever comes in this time - there's the pressure to turn the ship around, the pressure of being an underperforming big club that needs to get promoted, the problem of a crap central midfield, etc etc etc. It's no wonder they keep failing. They walk into a car crash and get asked to rebuild a Ferrari.

Nice reply chindie and understand the pressures associated with taking on a 'big' club, especially after many years of mismanagement at the club from top to bottom. 

I just feel Bruce or similar would be a lazy appointment that could also fail spectacularly. 

Our squad have the capacity of delivering the goods but need the right tactical guidance and leadership. 

18 minutes ago, TRO said:

If you think we are going to find 1 manager that will take us from this cesspit to the promised land.....I wish you well.

Hiddink, Bielsa and a few of the other managers I put forward in my last post in this thread are capable of that if we can attract them.

Edited by Michael118