Steve Round

meme

On 11/13/2017 at 08:02, Vive_La_Villa said:

Let's look at this logically. Why would Arsenal, one of the biggest clubs in the country want Round as a sporting director. What has Round achieved to warrant this?

Just ain't going to happen. 

Saying that even if it did I wonder how many Villa fans would even care.

Well, with the odd exception, what would we care if we lost anything.

He's got one those roles where he's in the firing line if things go tits up and not in the reckoning when things go well.  As fans we'd never truly know the impact of what he's up to.

Lots of the praise for Leicester's success was put at the feet of Steve Walsh.  I reckon that's probably because people couldn't see how Pearson and Ranieri had between them built a squad and style capable of winning the league.  Fast forward a few months and now he's at fault because Everton signed 25 attacking playmakers to replace Lukaku instead of just a proper striker.

• Like 2

On 11/13/2017 at 08:02, Vive_La_Villa said:

Let's look at this logically. Why would Arsenal, one of the biggest clubs in the country want Round as a sporting director. What has Round achieved to warrant this?

Just ain't going to happen. 

Saying that even if it did I wonder how many Villa fans would even care.

Article said Arsenal were impressed by how he was restructuring us behind the scenes etc, youth teams and all that.

• 2 months later...

Aston Villa have made a 'significant profit' in managing Financial Play Play and a promotion challenge

Director of football Steve Round reveals recruitment improvements

Steve Round believes Aston Villa have successfully dealt with the constraints of Financial Fair Play by both strengthening Steve Bruce’s squad AND turning over a profit.

Speaking to avfc.co.uk the club’s director of football revealed all three of the transfer windows in which he has been involved have been affected by the spending of the previous regime and relegation from the Premier League.

But the 47-year-old, who joined Villa in September 2016, is confident the recruitment side of the club - much-maligned under the likes of Paddy Riley - is running well, providing Bruce with the players HE wants.

“We have put, pretty-much, a new recruitment team in place. We have some very good expertise in there,” Round told the club website .

READ MORE

Aston Villa: Injury update; Adomah's joy; How a former flop is living; Season ticket update

“We have Tony Coton and Ian Atkins heading that up. They are both massively experienced. They were excellent players in their own right and have a huge pedigree in football.

“Under them, we have a team of scouts. Some have analytical backgrounds, who are wizards on data and are making sure we’re following all the innovative ways of the modern recruitment world.

“We also have some vastly experienced on-the-ground scouts who will go and watch the games and who have a tremendous football knowledge. Tapping into all of that is vitally important.

“Once we get down to the final two or three targets, myself and the manager will go and watch them and if we agree with everyone else, the process starts to try and sign them.

“We were restricted by FFP in the three windows I have been involved in. That’s a product of the previous three years and the fact we were relegated so the [television] payments aren’t as great.

“So we had to balance the books. We have made a significant profit and, importantly, we have improved the team.

“I am very pleased with what the recruitment team have delivered in terms of their scouting potential. We have been very smart with the deals we’ve got.”

Round says Bruce has played a pivotal role in adding both youthful exuberance and experienced leadership to the squad.

”Fair play to the manager, too, he’s recognised quite a few of these players at a lot less cost - and who have delivered impressively on the pitch.

“We had to look at the older and younger ends of the market spectrum. We weren’t able to go in and buy at the middle tier.

“We have brought in some vastly experienced players - lads like John Terry and Glenn Whelan, who obviously were a lot less cost and then very exciting young players like Josh Onomah and Axel Tuanzebe, who are just starting to forge their career in the game.

“Aston Villa fit the profile for their clubs because they’re playing in such a big arena and environment with a very good team.

“We had to adapt our transfer policy according to the budget we had. That’s no different to anyone else.

“One thing I have found with Aston Villa is because of the size of the club, the history and tradition it holds, it’s not been difficult to persuade players to come here. The name is a big draw.

“The big test will be if we get promoted. There are tiers in the Premier League. But the owner has always said it’s a stage process.

“You cannot go historically from promotion to, for example, sixth in the Premier League straight away.

“You have to step up the ladder incrementally. That’s the plan and aim. It’s incremental rises all the time.

“When I came in, we were third bottom. We are now second. It’s taken almost 18 months to get there.

“It’s making sure we can get this club over the line in terms of getting promoted, that is our sole focus on the field at the moment then we need push on from there.”

1-2-3 CLICK

We have actually made  a profit??! What the hell is the same Villa?

If we go up and actually made a profit it would be amazing 

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

1-2-3 CLICK

We have actually made  a profit??! What the hell is the same Villa?

If we go up and actually made a profit it would be amazing 

Except the accounts that came out today and being quoted on another thread is showing a £14m loss. 

But of course you can count 'profit' in many different ways and over different timeframes, so probably a play on words/numbers from Steve Round.

28 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Except the accounts that came out today and being quoted on another thread is showing a £14m loss. 

But of course you can count 'profit' in many different ways and over different timeframes, so probably a play on words/numbers from Steve Round.

I feel like he's talking specifically about transfers, salaries, etc.

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

Aren't the accounts usually a full year behind - so wouldn't include this season?

Depends. You can publish your accounts immediately at year end if you so wish, though disclaimer being I'm no accountant.

Otherwise I'd imagine Round is fully clued up on the ongoing state of the accounts because FFP has a significant impact on what he can and can't do.

I like most of what Round has to say here. I do hope though that if/when we get back to the PL the focus on 'hunger, passion' etc doesn't lead to lazy stereotypes and preclude us scouting abroad. We will need a mixture of UK and foreign players if we are to build succesful teams in the Prem as good British players still carry a major premium. 

• 3 months later...

Not been a fan of him to date.

I do think with Wyness and Bruce he wash pushed into a nothing role. However now it would seem he has the job he always wanted - lets hope he is good and can rebuilt a vibrant young villa side

• 4 weeks later...
Just now, omariqy said:

Bruce to follow, no doubt.

Looks like it, Wyness was a big supporter of SB aswell.

In an ideal world would've prefered all this done before pre season started. Shame we're such a basket case we'll probably sack SB a week before the season starts.

Â