Steve Round

meme

• 3 weeks later...

If McCormack does end up getting sold, at a loss most likely too, we will definitely need another striker. Kodjia, Hogan, Gabby? That's not enough. Maybe the available amount to spend will be more modest this time round than that spent on Hogan or Kodjia or even McCormack for that matter. 

My point is, we have had a total overhaul of our scouting network... apart from Terry, we have signed Samba who was free and already training with us, Whelan and Elmo for modest fees who surely didn't need that much scouting... if any at all. This overhaul of the scouting network then... is it too soon for it to return dividends on other players, lesser known commodities to us? 

If Ross gets sold, and if money is tight, what about targets off the scout network? I don't mean us signing the next Ronaldo, but even that, say if United bought Ronaldo from footballs Waitrose, and we can't afford to shop there, can't our scouts identify targets suited to our level, from a metaphorical Co-op or Lidl even? 

Are we even scouting foreign leagues? What about the next Vardy then from the lower leagues? Why, with this apparently great scouting network, great reputation despite the Championship status are we resorting to signings like the above? Ok, to get us out of the division etc I understand that side but...

There surely are players who are foreign starlets good enough for us but not Chelsea / United level, who would come, even if to use us as a stepping stone, or even from the lower leagues. Sure, I don't get to see what potentially good work our network does but I do wonder if we could do better. And like I say, say if we get about 8 mill for McCormack (if he goes) we could do wonders with that cherry picking from our scouts list, if they have one. 

Not disputing Round's effectiveness, just hope our scouting network is working hard and that Bruce considers their recommendations, if they've made any! 

Edit- link to article re: Round's remit: http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/meet-steve-rounds-aston-villa-12712487

Riley's replacement, Technical Director Steve Round, has revamped the club's beleaguered scouting department.

A club the size of Villa will have an army of scouts working across the globe. 

Edited by Midfielder
  • Like 1

A lot of the potential talent is hoovered up by the big clubs regardless of whether they are good enough or not. They can send them out in loan and let the other clubs do the work for them. If they don't make it then they lose a few million in kids they don't expect anything from. Just one makes the grade and they've effectively more than made their money back. 

The overhaul of the scouting will take time, I think you're expecting too much, too soon although I would hope we can pluck a few gems. Bjarnason is that sort of gamble. They won't all pay off and I can understand why Bruce is getting assured quality in now. 

The problem with modern day football is that the likes of Bruce can't plan or build for years like managers used to. Everything has to be right now. Glen Whelan or Kante from Ligue 2. I suspect most managers would have gone with Whelan. Clubs sign players without managers emerge they trust the scouts. That sort of infrastructure will take time to implement and if we do go for that then all future managers will need to understand it. 

4 hours ago, Wezbid said:

A lot of the potential talent is hoovered up by the big clubs regardless of whether they are good enough or not. They can send them out in loan and let the other clubs do the work for them. If they don't make it then they lose a few million in kids they don't expect anything from. Just one makes the grade and they've effectively more than made their money back. 

The overhaul of the scouting will take time, I think you're expecting too much, too soon although I would hope we can pluck a few gems. Bjarnason is that sort of gamble. They won't all pay off and I can understand why Bruce is getting assured quality in now. 

The problem with modern day football is that the likes of Bruce can't plan or build for years like managers used to. Everything has to be right now. Glen Whelan or Kante from Ligue 2. I suspect most managers would have gone with Whelan. Clubs sign players without managers emerge they trust the scouts. That sort of infrastructure will take time to implement and if we do go for that then all future managers will need to understand it. 

I agree, most club's transfer policy is to throw shit at the wall and hope some of it sticks. The rich clubs just throw more of it. As for long term policies that's for people like Round and they need to be assessed, as the title suggests, in the long term. Managers, particularly at high profile clubs, don't have that luxury. I'm pretty sure that Conte was apparently "under pressure" about 5 games into last season!

7 hours ago, Midfielder said:

If McCormack does end up getting sold, at a loss most likely too, we will definitely need another striker. Kodjia, Hogan, Gabby? That's not enough. Maybe the available amount to spend will be more modest this time round than that spent on Hogan or Kodjia or even McCormack for that matter. 

My point is, we have had a total overhaul of our scouting network... apart from Terry, we have signed Samba who was free and already training with us, Whelan and Elmo for modest fees who surely didn't need that much scouting... if any at all. This overhaul of the scouting network then... is it too soon for it to return dividends on other players, lesser known commodities to us? 

If Ross gets sold, and if money is tight, what about targets off the scout network? I don't mean us signing the next Ronaldo, but even that, say if United bought Ronaldo from footballs Waitrose, and we can't afford to shop there, can't our scouts identify targets suited to our level, from a metaphorical Co-op or Lidl even? 

Are we even scouting foreign leagues? What about the next Vardy then from the lower leagues? Why, with this apparently great scouting network, great reputation despite the Championship status are we resorting to signings like the above? Ok, to get us out of the division etc I understand that side but...

There surely are players who are foreign starlets good enough for us but not Chelsea / United level, who would come, even if to use us as a stepping stone, or even from the lower leagues. Sure, I don't get to see what potentially good work our network does but I do wonder if we could do better. And like I say, say if we get about 8 mill for McCormack (if he goes) we could do wonders with that cherry picking from our scouts list, if they have one. 

Not disputing Round's effectiveness, just hope our scouting network is working hard and that Bruce considers their recommendations, if they've made any! 

Edit- link to article re: Round's remit: http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/meet-steve-rounds-aston-villa-12712487

Riley's replacement, Technical Director Steve Round, has revamped the club's beleaguered scouting department.

A club the size of Villa will have an army of scouts working across the globe. 

It will take time to see results.

But don't forget we have also signed Bedeau, Sea (I think that was his name) and Bree that are all young with potential.

• 3 weeks later...

It has been reported in Birmingham Mail that Steve Round is being tasked with creating a playing style right through the club down to the under 12's

they are referring to it as the " Villa Way"

I would guess it will be music to the ears of many fans.

they seem to think it will take between 3-5 years to fully implement.

I hope its a success.

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

It has been reported in Birmingham Mail that Steve Round is being tasked with creating a playing style right through the club down to the under 12's

I hope its a success.

Hoofball, presumably. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Hoofball, presumably. 

nah.....we already have that to a fine art.....when we have the ball to hoof it.:)

keep the faith.

36 minutes ago, TRO said:

I hope its a success.

I would settle for the 1st team having a playing style first and foremost

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, TRO said:

I hope its a success.

We have heard this sort of thing before, and there is never any perceptible difference. I think all new heads of the scouting network say this when they come in. A laudable ambition, however, and I await the result with barely concealed excitement.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I hope its a success.

Looks like Bruce is going to get the boot then.

13 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

We have heard this sort of thing before, and there is never any perceptible difference. I think all new heads of the scouting network say this when they come in. A laudable ambition, however, and I await the result with barely concealed excitement.

He's not head of the scouting network though, he's head of the football operations, he picks managers, staff and is involved in pretty much every aspect of what we do - it's his job to create something that lasts from manager to manager and allows the club some continuity regardless of any managerial change. When he spoke to fans when he arrived, he's a fan of dynamic, physical football; fast, strong, aggressive - the Villa way will not be tiki taka.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

He's not head of the scouting network though, he's head of the football operations, he picks managers, staff and is involved in pretty much every aspect of what we do - it's his job to create something that lasts from manager to manager and allows the club some continuity regardless of any managerial change. When he spoke to fans when he arrived, he's a fan of dynamic, physical football; fast, strong, aggressive - the Villa way will not be tiki taka.

Apparently, very well respected is Steve Round

John Terry said he, along with Steve Bruce was a significant influence in his decision to join us.....worked together in the England camp I understand.

Edited by TRO

2 minutes ago, CosmicVillan said:

How about score more than the other team...or is that old fashioned ?

thats a novel idea....just got to get the opposition to let you.

Well he has his work cut out for him (and I understand it's a work in progress, even thou there has been very little as of yet)

So far we are anything but fast and dynamic or aggressive. Wouldn't say we are that strong or physical either except for Jedi, Terry and our new striker Samba.

But it's definitely not Tiki Taka, so he got that part right already.

10 minutes ago, CosmicVillan said:

Well I think the trick is to do it even if they don't want you to.

ah! you want your cake and eat it.....that means you have to impose yourself and dominate, you have to deny them.....its a big ask that.:)

No, I will bank on them, letting you do it.

Â