Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

58 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

This situation is a nonsense. Nothing about him being out of contract in June prevents him from playing on Saturday. Instead we're going to play a nonsense formation that absolutely doesn't work for a team that regularly has less than 50% possession. 

An absolute farce. Good job it's not important or anything. 

For me, it's not so much that DS clearly doesn't fancy him and would rather contort the team with the false 9 formation than play Kodj.

The problem with the Kodj situation is that clubs now know that he is persona non grata at the club and will give even less in terms of transfer fee. Perhaps this is what the 'illness' thing was about -- perhaps they didn't want to reveal that he's done in the hope of securing a deal that would've involved some transfer fee coming our way?

If I'm Forest or Angiers, or whoever want him, and I see this, I just say 'well, we want him but you aren't getting a transfer fee. Don't like it, you can keep him on his £35k a week until his contract expires'. 

And, okay, getting £1.5m for him isn't a massive amount of money in the grand scheme of things but every little helps in this FFP world we're in.

• Like 2

He is a big part of whats wrong with us, right now.....not necessarly his talent, his application is pants.

we have a few too many like him.....luxury players.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

He is a big part of whats wrong with us, right now.....not necessarly his talent, his application is pants.

we have a few too many like him.....luxury players.

He's not even talented. Football is about levels, Kodjia isn't Premier League level.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

Just now, omariqy said:

Will always love him for that first season. Even last season he scored some vital goals. He always contributes and somehow still gets slated by some fans. Yet absolute dross like Whelan, Hutton, Westwood and Elphick get lauded. I get he's a frustrating player but he is a maverick. Because of him we didn't do a Sunderland and that season he looked PL quality. If it wasn't for injuries I think he may well have done it for us. Shame Bruce brought him back earlier than he should have. He was never ready. 

Good luck to a player that actually has had a positive impact for us.

Whelan and Hutton contributed far more in terms of performances than Kodjia did last season.

Kodjia did quite well last season, did very well in his first season. That's about it.

• Like 1

Just now, Dr_Pangloss said:

Whelan and Hutton contributed far more in terms of performances than Kodjia did last season.

Kodjia did quite well last season, did very well in his first season. That's about it.

Kodjia scored 9 league goals. Whelan and Hutton had good games but they also had awful games. They cost us goals and games. Whelan missed a bloody pen.

Kodjia scored vital goals against Brentford, Preston, Blues, Rotherham and Millwall last season. Points that he won us that helped us actually get in the playoffs. The Rotherham goal especially was a massive game. Abraham had missed already and it was vital we scored. He knocked it in the top corner with aplomb. He deserves more respect. When I have seen crap like (not from you) Hogan makes good runs and doesn't get the service or McCormack doesn't have good players around him then I hate when I see Kodjia get slated. Yes he is frustrating and has bad moments but he is always good for goals. That first season he was immense. Injuries meant he lost a yard of pace and confidence. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, omariqy said:

Kodjia scored 9 league goals. Whelan and Hutton had good games but they also had awful games. They cost us goals and games. Whelan missed a bloody pen.

Kodjia scored vital goals against Brentford, Preston, Blues, Rotherham and Millwall last season. Points that he won us that helped us actually get in the playoffs. The Rotherham goal especially was a massive game. Abraham had missed already and it was vital we scored. He knocked it in the top corner with aplomb. He deserves more respect. When I have seen crap like (not from you) Hogan makes good runs and doesn't get the service or McCormack doesn't have good players around him then I hate when I see Kodjia get slated. Yes he is frustrating and has bad moments but he is always good for goals. That first season he was immense. Injuries meant he lost a yard of pace and confidence. 

Whelan and Hutton were mainstays in the side that got promoted, Whelan was absolutely fantastic under Smith for the most part and played a far more important role than Kodjia. You're trying to make the argument that Kodjia was better because he scored goals but that's obviously not a fair comparison.

Plus that Whelan penalty miss is one of the best things to ever happen to this club.

1 minute ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Whelan and Hutton were mainstays in the side that got promoted, Whelan was absolutely fantastic under Smith for the most part and played a far more important role than Kodjia. You're trying to make the argument that Kodjia was better because he scored goals but that's obviously not a fair comparison.

Plus that Whelan penalty miss is one of the best things to ever happen to this club.

No doubt re your last point.

People forget we were shit for most of the season last year. Only when Hutton was dropped we won 10 games in a row. Hardly a mainstay. If Hutton had played in those 10 games then no way we get promoted. Whelan had some good games no doubt but he was swapped with Connor quite often and Connor had much more of an influence for me. Let's not forget Whelan nearly cost us the playoff semi first leg. He was awful that day.

• Like 1

Great first season and played his part in our promotion last season. Only time he has really struggled was after an injury and this year at a level he isn't good enough for. 

He was signed to be a top championship striker and when fit, usually lived up to that.

I will never get my head round the levels of criticism he's had since being here. 

Good luck kodjia, I've enjoyed his time as a villa player. 

• Like 3

Thanks to Kodija for the first season and his goals last season. It’s a shame he was never the same player again after his injury. Also a shame he didn’t even try when he got a chance this year in the biggest league in the world. But I guess It was probably way to hard for him.  

Good luck to him.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

I would have loved it to work out, he played well for us at times in the Championship but for whatever reason it isnt happening here. Its best for him and the club he moves on. I am a bit pissed off he took it so easy last time he played but in his defence he maybe trying to avoid injury so he can be sold. Anyways its time to part ways, I still think he is a really good player on his day, just that day doesnt happen any more for our set up. Maybe he can find a club where it does.

Thinking of getting a Kodjia nameset for my 16/17 shirt. Absolutely loved him that season. He brought back my love for football and filled a Benteke shaped hole in my heart. Really sad that he's never kicked on since then but it is what it is. If he's fit for Saturday and we don't have a striker by then I'd absolutely start him. We can't keep playing 5-5-0.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, omariqy said:

Will always love him for that first season. Even last season he scored some vital goals. He always contributes and somehow still gets slated by some fans. Yet absolute dross like Whelan, Hutton, Westwood and Elphick get lauded. I get he's a frustrating player but he is a maverick. Because of him we didn't do a Sunderland and that season he looked PL quality. If it wasn't for injuries I think he may well have done it for us. Shame Bruce brought him back earlier than he should have. He was never ready. 

Good luck to a player that actually has had a positive impact for us.

Agree with the rest of your post but this bit is way too harsh for me mate. Alan Hutton and Glen Whelan in particular were fine servants for our club. We have had plenty of dross players the past decade I dont think those 4 should be in that already crowded rogues gallery.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

He's not even talented. Football is about levels, Kodjia isn't Premier League level.

Thousands of talented individuals don't make PL level. He's played at a pretty good level and scored some cracking goals for someone with so little talent as you say. 

Â