Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

Delighted to be honest. His ability and application at this level fell radically short of the standard required.

At £15m I'd say he has been a 'decent' signing overall. Excellent first season and was crucial in helping to stabilising us. 9 goals last season was a decent return and at times he made important contributions which helped us in our promotion.

Smith never rated him at this level and is 100% justified, the fact that we got a fee for him is terrific.

• Like 1

Bye Kodj.

Just shows the risk of recruitment. Nearly 4 years on and a lot of salary money later, we finally get to unravel one of the early mistakes of the Xia/diMatteo era.

Worth remembering though that he got a fair few goals in his first season but never really regained form after his injuries.

Dean Smith: “Why was Kodjia sold? Because he wasn't up to the standard, in my opinion. He hadn't got to the level of fitness that, for me, was required for the Premier League. That's the minimum standard to play Premier League football.” [birmingham live]

25 minutes ago, rbcuk said:

Dean Smith: “Why was Kodjia sold? Because he wasn't up to the standard, in my opinion. He hadn't got to the level of fitness that, for me, was required for the Premier League. That's the minimum standard to play Premier League football.” [birmingham live]

Yet Drinkwater is barely fit enough to play a Sunday league game.

Why keep him around pre season then?

1 hour ago, villarule123 said:

One of the worst team players I've seen in a Villa shirt.

When he was on form, he was fun to watch though. Can't remember what that was like though!

Try to list the players who we had in the last decade. I'm sure you'll find much worse than him.

He wasn't one of the worst at all. You've already said when he's on form, he was fun to watch. I could name a lot of players that don't have form at all.

I appreciate some players attitude and effort for the team, but really some of them were technically much more worse than him!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Try to list the players who we had in the last decade. I'm sure you'll find much worse than him.

He wasn't one of the worst at all. You've already said when he's on form, he was fun to watch. I could name a lot of players that don't have form at all.

I appreciate some players attitude and effort for the team, but really some of them were technically much more worse than him!

He said team player. As in a player who works well with his teammates and is not selfish...

The disrespect to Kodjia in here is embarrassing.

Kodjia isn't lazy. He may not run around like a headless chicken like Weimann used to do, not all strikers do. He is a fox in the box and prefers to conserve he's energy for what's happening in the final third.

Smith says he isn't up for the fitness standard yet got no problems playing a totally unfit Drinkwater. Does not add up to me. Clearly an agenda. Did Kodjia sleep with his wife or something?

I wish him all the best and thank him for the memories.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

But if everybody was thanking him then you would be moaning about him 🙄

Thought the penalty and performance as sub at Rotherham was absolutely crucial to why we are playing Premier League football right now, for that alone I think he has proved a hit rather than a miss.

Wish him all the best but trust Smith and the coaches decision to let him go, I just hope we are in for at least one other striker (in addition to Samatta) because we are looking extremely thin in this department.

Good Luck Kodj!

26 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Kodjia isn't lazy. He may not run around like a headless chicken like Weimann used to do, not all strikers do. He is a fox in the box and prefers to conserve he's energy for what's happening in the final third.

Smith says he isn't up for the fitness standard yet got no problems playing a totally unfit Drinkwater. Does not add up to me. Clearly an agenda. Did Kodjia sleep with his wife or something?

yeah he is lazy, he's also greedy, theres a good player in there somewhere but he didn't show it enough, never looked like a PL striker when we were in the championship and then post injury never really looked that sharp

I see where you're coming from with drinkwater but if drinkwater is grafting in training every day trying to get to the level he needs to be and kodjia wasn't then you cant really compare the 2, I then look at where kodjia has gone rather than a mid table French team or a championship team (for that price he should be a good signing for a lot of clubs) and that says a lot to me

Â