Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

33 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I don't think you can deny a player the opportunity to play in the top division. he signed for us expecting that we would be promoted this year. if a club from the top flight comes in with a decent offer of about 20 mil then, all we can do is beg him to stay but we cant keep him against his will.

Errrrrr - yes we can.  That's why we have a contract with him for 4 years.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

no

but we're straying off the point.

I think bruce had his chance, he hasnt made the best of it.

Great choice to change subject from an argument you were losing. But if it passed your notice, this is the kodjia thread so talking about the money we spent on kodjia is probably more apt than what you change the subject too. Bruce.

So, in fact you're straying from the point which is purely to fit your agenda. Congrats.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

Great choice to change subject from an argument you were losing. But if it passed your notice, this is the kodjia thread so talking about the money we spent on kodjia is probably more apt than what you change the subject too. Bruce.

So, in fact you're straying from the point which is purely to fit your agenda. Congrats.

I simply didnt want to write it all out again.

Yes, the board would have bought someone else. But as a matter of fact, whoever you bring in (even Messi) is 50/50 if it works or not.

So there is no garantee on anyone being able to equal Kodjia's goal tally and/or its importance.

But I will now go OT to win an arguement (as thats all I try to achieve on here)

Kodjia -> bought for 15mill -> has delivered

Bruce -> brought in (for a kebab or 2 -joke) for promotion - hasnt delivered

47 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

I simply didnt want to write it all out again.

Yes, the board would have bought someone else. But as a matter of fact, whoever you bring in (even Messi) is 50/50 if it works or not.

So there is no garantee on anyone being able to equal Kodjia's goal tally and/or its importance.

But I will now go OT to win an arguement (as thats all I try to achieve on here)

Kodjia -> bought for 15mill -> has delivered

Bruce -> brought in (for a kebab or 2 -joke) for promotion - hasnt delivered

I think, THINK, you have just repeated the exact same point I made. That they could've been a flop. But your argument was, with repeated 'mck says hi', that there would've been no-one else

And on the flip side, there is no way of saying that we may have bought someone else in who had scored 5 more goals and taken us into the playoffs. It's all conjecture.

And as for the second bit, I believe promotion would've been the aim for this or next season, bearing in mind the shit state and position of this football club when Bruce took over. And I believe that would've come from above Bruce. So, to say argument won is pure speculation. You may have won, you may not, we can't say. But I'm sure you'll take great pleasure, as you just tried to, in proving yourself right if Bruce doesn't take us up next year.

Edited by Mjvilla

15 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

I think, THINK, you have just repeated the exact same point I made. That they could've been a flop. But your argument was, with repeated 'mck says hi', that there would've been no-one else

And on the flip side, there is no way of saying that we may have bought someone else in who had scored 5 more goals and taken us into the playoffs. It's all conjecture.

And as for the second bit, I believe promotion would've been the aim for this or next season, bearing in mind the shit state and position of this football club when Bruce took over. And I believe that would've come from above Bruce. So, to say argument won is pure speculation. You may have won, you may not, we can't say. But I'm sure you'll take great pleasure, as you just tried to, in proving yourself right if Bruce doesn't take us up next year.

Surely the point is that Kodjia has clicked this season. Another player may or may not have clicked, we will never know. Similarly you can't guarantee that a striker will be just as good next season. There are very, very few strikers that score 20 goals per season and at this moment in time, they are out of our league. So this being the case good teams score goals from a spread of players, which limits the damage done when the star man has a drop in form, gets injured etc. Relying on one player for goals is a very dangerous game. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tomsub said:

Errrrrr - yes we can.  That's why we have a contract with him for 4 years.

We can but it never pays to keep an unhappy player. Not saying that would happen with Kodjia

10 hours ago, PaulC said:

If he was 23/24 I would agree but he will be 28 next season. He doesn't have time to hang around especially if a club like Everton come in for him.

No one gonna pay the stupid Money we want did him

• Like 1

Just now, DJ_Villain said:

He would be once he got there and started scoring mind you...

He would rip that league a new arsehole!

Oh yeah, completely agree.  Just that a Chinese club spending huge money will want an established (or relatively established) name.  Jonathan Kodjia isn't that (...just yet).

17 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

He would be once he got there and started scoring mind you...

He would rip that league a new arsehole!

Yeah, I am sure there are lesser players who have made the move to China, I believe 1 may even have played for us at some point but can't remember the name.

• Like 1

On 12/04/2017 at 12:37, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Yeah, I am sure there are lesser players who have made the move to China, I believe 1 may even have played for us at some point but can't remember the name.

But they won't have gone for game changing wages, probably just a slightly better wage than they could get elsewhere. 

They would have to offer JK a huge incentive at this stage of his career and I am sure they would want a bigger name to throw those kind of wages around. 

• Like 1

The problem I have with it is that it isn't "violent".  He's not causing any damage.  The boot from the Fulham player was worse - but that gets nothing at all.  Kodjia gets a red?  Bonkers rule.

Brainless play given the rules of the game but it really does underscore how soft the game has become. In a more manly era it would have been considered handbags at ten paces, a quick word from the ref, both players shake hands and they then get on with the match. 

Â