Dalian Atkinson

Pongotastic

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

She will get off 100% disgusting and there should bw riots if she does.

100%. We should be out on the streets, in our thousands, smashing up shops, looting, attacking all the emergency services, setting fire to everything. Anything else that I have missed that constitutes a riot, we should be doing. Seems like the only fair and balanced response. Well said. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Stoobs said:

100%. We should be out on the streets, in our thousands, smashing up shops, looting, attacking all the emergency services, setting fire to everything. Anything else that I have missed that constitutes a riot, we should be doing. Seems like the only fair and balanced response. Well said. 

Fine. Let us know if a relative if yours is ever tasered and beaten to death by the police and we can stand around making smartarsed comments. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stoobs said:

Ok lets let them get away with it by having a moan on facebook instead.  That will will show them

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Ok lets let them get away with it by having a moan on facebook instead.  That will will show them

What about an organised and dignified demonstration. 

As many suspected, she's been cleared.

A police officer has been found not guilty of assaulting an ex-footballer the night he was killed.

Mary Ellen Bettley-Smith was accused of striking Dalian Atkinson with her baton when he posed no threat in August 2016, but claimed she was "very frightened".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-shropshire-63063137

This is a dreadful outcome.  I doubt this would have been the same verdict if the roles were reversed.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

I didnt witness it but if the other copper was done then why wasn't this one. Weren't their vest cams switched off too. 

Summat smells fishy with this

She admitted striking Atkinson three times while he was unconscious and she said she was afraid.

I am not sure a man could use that as a defense.

When a man and a woman are involved in the same crime, the man is usually considered to be more culpable and gets the longer sentence.

The male copper got eight years which was considered enough to satisfy public outrage, so she was always going to get off lightly.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

She admitted striking Atkinson three times while he was unconscious and she said she was afraid.

I am not sure a man could use that as a defense.

When a man and a woman are involved in the same crime, the man is usually considered to be more culpable and gets the longer sentence.

The male copper got eight years which was considered enough to satisfy public outrage, so she was always going to get off lightly.

A trained copper being afraid of an unconscious man is worrying, and then hitting him 3 times while he was unconscious is even more worrying. You're in the wrong job

14 minutes ago, TreeVillan said:

Read the BBC report before you judge. She was acquitted by a jury and not some corrupt police force. 

I've not mentioned corrupt anything, I'm sure the jury had no preconceived ideas about anything. Wouldn't be the first time someone has got away with summat and won't be the last

1 minute ago, Talldarkandransome said:

A trained copper being afraid of an unconscious man is worrying, and then hitting him 3 times while he was unconscious is even more worrying. You're in the wrong job

I've not mentioned corrupt anything, I'm sure the jury had no preconceived ideas about anything. Wouldn't be the first time someone has got away with summat and won't be the last

6 months on the job and on probation, so barely trained. But surely she should be under no illusions this is not it right career for her now.

I don't know what fear she was going through at the time,  but if her reaction is to beat someone that is unconscious it says she isn't able to control herself and should never work another day as an officer on the streets.

• Like 1

Let's be honest there's not many women who would be physically able to control a determined criminal or a mentally unstable man, I don't blame her for being scared but she shouldn't be a police officer without being able to deal with that sort of thing happening without panicking and needlessly assaulting someone. 

16 hours ago, briny_ear said:

At least there will be a disciplinary process. Genuinely hope she is sacked, she has proved herself unfit to be a police officer.

I don't hold up much hope for that either, I hope I'm wrong, if I am that suggests they don't agree with the jury's decision, so I can't see that happening. She really shouldn't have walked free from that court, in my opinion if not in that of the jury.  :(

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
On 29/09/2022 at 10:41, John said:

I don't hold up much hope for that either, I hope I'm wrong, if I am that suggests they don't agree with the jury's decision, so I can't see that happening. She really shouldn't have walked free from that court, in my opinion if not in that of the jury.  :(

Firstly I 100% agree, she should be locked up. The copper who beat Dalian to death was actually her boyfriend. Perhaps he was showing her how tough he was and she wanted to “prove” herself too. She was apparently a probationary copper at the time. 

The disciplinary hearing has ended today and found her guilty of using excessive force. According to the board the first 3 blows to the already flat out Dalian, we’re fine, but the next 3 were excessive. I’m struggling to know how they came to the conclusion on the first three baton strikes. Independent witnesses have already said that he was flat out and not moving, having been tasered and kicked brutally in the head.

Reverse the rolls and put an already unconscious police officer on the ground. Would anyone involved, physically or not, have escaped jail? This WPC may get a final warning or even a jolly good sacking. 

When did I move to Russia?? 😠

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

Firstly I 100% agree, she should be locked up. The copper who beat Dalian to death was actually her boyfriend. Perhaps he was showing her how tough he was and she wanted to “prove” herself too. She was apparently a probationary copper at the time. 

The disciplinary hearing has ended today and found her guilty of using excessive force. According to the board the first 3 blows to the already flat out Dalian, we’re fine, but the next 3 were excessive. I’m struggling to know how they came to the conclusion on the first three baton strikes. Independent witnesses have already said that he was flat out and not moving, having been tasered and kicked brutally in the head.

Reverse the rolls and put an already unconscious police officer on the ground. Would anyone involved, physically or not, have escaped jail? This WPC may get a final warning or even a jolly good sacking. 

When did I move to Russia?? 😠

The first three baton strikes were before the kick to the head.

But he was (according to witnesses) motionless after going to ground following his third tasering, and the first three baton strikes were after he was motionless lying down.

Quite how they find those first three strikes reasonable, I agree, is somewhat bewildering. Maybe they're erring on the side of finding a middle ground.

She should definitely get sacked, having shown she is not capable of handling a situation like that appropriately and been found guilty of gross misconduct.

In any industry you get sacked for that don't you? In one that requires you to uphold the law and where conduct is one of the most critical attributes, it must be mandatory. 

• Like 1

I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone be disciplined for gross misconduct and not been sacked. That’s kinda the point of gross misconduct.

If she had any sense of morality she would have resigned by now anyway, but then I guess there has to be a lack of morality to begin with in wanting to be a copper.

Just don’t see how anyone can trust the police any more (a) to act proportionately when dealing with people who are not committing a crime but just very distressed and upsetting some members of the public ( b) to investigate and deal justly with cases where police officers clearly overstep the rules.

This just adds to the current crisis in confidence in my humble view.

As the panel found her to be negligent and labelled her actions as 'unlawful'. Does this mean there's the possibility that the family could now sue her and/or the relevant force?

Not that it could ever make much difference. Just wondered if that's the end of it or whether the family could get dragged through the court system again.

15 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone be disciplined for gross misconduct and not been sacked. That’s kinda the point of gross misconduct.

Its obscene. In this job more than any other it's imperative that these folks are removed. 

Â