James Chester

KJT123

On 9/24/2017 at 18:08, Zatman said:

I just think he is slow, not commanding and makes sloppy passes at times. Partnership with Elphick was dire and his one game with samba was just as bad

We have been blessed with top defenders in the past that maybe i expect similar

Elphick's partnership with *insert name* was dire. He can't even get near the squad at the minute, who is the common denominator there? Even so, I disagree Chester was ever 'dire' last season, bar one or two moments which happens to just about every defender ever over the course of a season. 

I think he IS a top defender, at least for the level we are at which is all I can realistically expect. Top 5 in the division last years and will be the same again this. I know you're not alone in your thinking, but frankly I can't wrap my mind around it. 

Made 17 clearances last night. Everytime the ball came into the box he was there. He is loving life playing alongside John Terry, can just concentrate on his own game now.

For context, Kone leads the Championship for clearances at an average of 9.2 per game.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He's almost always excellent for us.

God knows how some can criticise him. Our best player last season and probably in the top 3 this season.

Can only be confirmation bias. See one bad game and mind made up about him. Seems to happen with a lot of players. 

Chester for me is one of the best defenders in the league. We're lucky to have him.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Can only be confirmation bias. See one bad game and mind made up about him. Seems to happen with a lot of players. 

Chester for me is one of the best defenders in the league. We're lucky to have him.

It's not confirmation bias for me.  He's a very solid defender who made a whole load of positional errors last season which directly lead to goals.  The same way that Sam Johnstone made a lot of errors too - however, Johnstone got lambasted and Chester generally got praised.

Chester has been better this season - and I think pairing alongside Terry will have helped - but the criticism last season, for me, was warranted at times.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bobzy said:

It's not confirmation bias for me.  He's a very solid defender who made a whole load of positional errors last season which directly lead to goals.  The same way that Sam Johnstone made a lot of errors too - however, Johnstone got lambasted and Chester generally got praised.

Well Johnstone got lambasted because he was dreadful last season and one of our worst players, certainly of those who got regularly picked.

Chester was our captain and best player and was consistently excellent.

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Well Johnstone got lambasted because he was dreadful last season and one of our worst players, certainly of those who got regularly picked.

Chester was our captain and best player and was consistently excellent.

I have no problem with Chester - he's a solid enough defender - but he made a load of mistakes last season that literally meant the opposition scored and apparently it's ridiculous to criticise him for that.  It isn't.  He was poor at times - not consistently excellent.

Just now, bobzy said:

I have no problem with Chester - he's a solid enough defender - but he made a load of mistakes last season that literally meant the opposition scored and apparently it's ridiculous to criticise him for that.  It isn't.  He was poor at times - not consistently excellent.

Ok. I completely disagree with your assessment of Chester and find it genuinely baffling. 

But that's beside the point. The point I was really making is that Johnstone got lambasted because he was really shit. Even if you don't rate Chester, for whatever reason, he was not even close to being as bad as Johnstone. That's why one got lambasted and the other didn't.

If you DO think Chester was as bad as Johnstone then this isn't even worth the debate because our opinion of Chester is as far apart as you can get.

Â