Memory Lane

maqroll

On 20/06/2016 at 01:23, chrisp65 said:

Having a thruppeny bit and excitedly setting off for the shops where half a penny could get you four sports mixtures, but dropping the coin and seeing it disappear into a crack in the curb. I checked out that hole for my shiny golden coin every time I passed it for about ten years.

Having what was by now an old thruppeny bit that was all cruddy. My science teacher taking an interest and offering to clean it for me. He made up some solution, we dropped it in to see it go clean and shine once again. There was a lot of fizzing and the thing disappeared before our very eyes. A misreading of the acid dilution by the science teacher.

Having a sixpence that was now worth two and a half pence.

Receiving this:

7119191527_b4d34a76a8.jpg6973112412_1eea15fd6d.jpg

not only receiving a letter addressed to me, as a kid, but one with an Aston Villa posting frank on it, I've never had anything remotely as good in the post in the 38 years since

Great memory, that. The above pic has prompted me to think that players' autographs were actually legible back then. Now, when i see a signed team shirt or photo up for auction there just appears to be a load of half hearted squiggles or nicknames scrawled on it.

One for the boring thread i suppose....🙄

• Like 2

What we should be doing, is paint drawings of our memories of locations, then go back to that place and take a photo and see just how good your recall of it is, or if it's a place of nature, how much it has changed since your memory of it. 

At this second, I'm remembering my mom and dads garden, which backed onto Woodgate Valley Country Park.  We had a gate in our back fence which went straight into the park, but it was a piece of grass land which horses used to use (before I was old enough to remember).  At the back of a patch my dad used to mow, to give us a football pitch (probably 5 to 7-a-side in size), was knee high grass, with one tree which we buried our family rabbit under when he died.  To the back of that was a bit more grass, then a "triangle" of tall trees, down one side of these trees was a narrow dirt track which traveled into the country park.  

park.jpg

Edited by lapal_fan
  • Like 3

And obviously when I grew older, I could go as far into the park as I wanted, which was pretty good, especially down making dams and rope swings and bike racing tracks, dens, visitors center for ice creams, football pitches and horse fields where we used to play "flung dung" which is a particularly interesting game where you use wooden fence panels to pick up horse shit and "trebuche" them towards your mates, etc.

1_f.jpg?8646

Was pretty cool thinking about it :) 

Sometimes I go back to a place that I haven't been to for a long time, and suddenly it's as if no time at all has passed since I was last there. But am I remembering the past, or experiencing that present moment as a memory.

Edited by useless

• 1 month later...

Vivid memories. There's a few. Apologies for that not all are fun and lighthearted.

• As a young boy there was an attempted kidnapping/abduction on me. Very, very scary sh*t people. Lord knows what I managed to escape from.
  • We had goats when we lived on the mountain growing up. One decided to knock me of a box I was standing on to help him get the higher branches and I fell into the blackberry bush so thick it could handle my body-weight and I was suspended in branches of prickly blackberry bush. Fun times.
  • The resident dog of a property I was walking by came barreling down to the front porch to bark at us. The resident cat was sleeping on the porch and didn't appreciate the ruckus, went straight up to  the dog and bopped it on the head with her paw. Dog lets off a whimper and runs back inside.
  • Was playing golf in the park with my sister, still at an age where we'd dob on each other for petty sh*t, and I told her to stand basically directly behind me because I didn't want the ball hitting her and her running to tell on me. What do you know? I manage to ping the ball directly back and smack her on the head. As she cried I begged her not to tell and she was as amazed as me with my efforts that she agreed.
  • At a beach camping spot, can't remember how old I was but I still had to wear nappies at night so I dunno probably 24, only joking, but I still had to wear nappies in overnight much later than most, maybe I was 5 or 6, anyway a girl who had invited herself into our campsite asked me if I wanted to milk her cows.
  • Two girls on school camp when I was 10 approached me and told me they thought highly of me. They would pass  me all the black jelly beans that they didn't want on the bus ride. And I also remember their mothers not being happy about us kissing. Her older sister getting her male friends to surround me and hit me in the gut a few times. Then like a week later sister and her henchmen tried to get us to kiss in front of a circle of people which I'm remembering as half their class.

• 4 weeks later...

When I was young I used to say to myself things like, 'if you don't walk up and down the stairs fifteen times such and such person is going to lose their legs, or become blind', and then I'd rationalize to myself that's 'just silly', but then I'd think 'but what if it does happen, I would never forgive myself', so I'd end up doing the task of walking up and down the stairs or whatever it might be. And this time I was in a downstairs room doing some skills with one of my balls, and it crashed onto this old buero thing that had these glass sliding doors, so they rattled, and I heard a voice from another room shout 'what have you been told about playing with that ball in the house!', that made me quite nervous, so decided to leave that room, but when I went to turn the light out I had another one of my thoughts, I told myself had to turn it off by throwing my ball in the air and headering it onto to the light switch otherwise something bad would happen, obviously I didn't want to miss and make a racket otherwise I'd  be in trouble, but I convinced myself that I had to do it, so I threw the ball in the air waited for it to come down and then headed forcefully in the direction of the light switch and thankfully it landed right on switch and turned the light out, the ball bounced back to me, and because it was transparant I could still see it despite the now darkened room, as the moon shining through a big window was reflecting against it. Strange thing is I've just thought 'I'm sure there was 'dimmer' switches in that room, that you twist to turn on.

Edited by useless
  • Haha 3

• 1 month later...
On 29/06/2019 at 20:27, useless said:

Sometimes I go back to a place that I haven't been to for a long time, and suddenly it's as if no time at all has passed since I was last there. But am I remembering the past, or experiencing that present moment as a memory.

Tune in for more Mindhunters next week folks 😀

• Haha 1

My nan lived alongside an old railway line, hadn't been used in years. We used to walk up it and just meas about, it wasn't electrified, and it was just great fun.

By hadn't been used in years, what it really meant as once a month a diesel train would make the journey up it, that was a surprise! 😂

Edited by avfcDJ
  • Like 2

I sometimes think about all the old toys, books, stuff etc... that I had when I was little or younger and wonder where are they now? A landfill? Melted down? Recycled into something else?Someone else's house? A shop somewhere? Who knows.

Also, I've always wanted to go back and see my nans old house even though someone else lives there now and it's probably completely different inside. Been about 13 years since I was there and she died in 2008 having moved somewhere else for her last few years. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

I sometimes think about all the old toys, books, stuff etc... that I had when I was little or younger and wonder where are they now? A landfill? Melted down? Recycled into something else?Someone else's house? A shop somewhere? Who knows.

Also, I've always wanted to go back and see my nans old house even though someone else lives there now and it's probably completely different inside. Been about 13 years since I was there and she died in 2008 having moved somewhere else for her last few years. 

It makes me realise my mom was throwing away toys and books behind my back, hoping I wouldn't notice. Well I've got news for you mom, it's taken two decades but I'm on to you!

My son will more than likely be going to the Primary School I went to in about 4 years and I can't wait to have a good look around that place. It will be so much easier than looking at it from the bushes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

It makes me realise my mom was throwing away toys and books behind my back, hoping I wouldn't notice. Well I've got news for you mom, it's taken two decades but I'm on to you!

My son will more than likely be going to the Primary School I went to in about 4 years and I can't wait to have a good look around that place. It will be so much easier than looking at it from the bushes.

My primary reason for wanting my kid to go to my old school :lol:  

Didn't get in! 😡

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

I googled mapped the house we grew up in the other day. From the looks of the satellite images, they've installed a pond in the exact spot we buried all our pets (when they died). They must have dug up so many rabbit and guinea pigs skeletons. I hope their pond is now haunted.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I grew up in a block of flats that has now been demolished. 

I always wondered what was wrong with your appearance..

(sub text - you were in them at the time of demolition) 

(sub sub text - I'm calling you ugly)

(sub sub sub text - I would only do this, knowing how comfortable you are in your own skin)

;) 

Edited by lapal_fan
  • Confused 1

I think it should be legal where one day a year you can go and visit places you grew up in lol. 

I think I'm reminiscing and getting nostalgic about my childhood too much the last few years. Like to an obsessive degree. Makes me sad sometimes. It cant be healthy. Probably why I'm such a maladjusted adult. 

• Like 1

Just now, Ingram85 said:

I think it should be legal where one day a year you can go and visit places you grew up in lol. 

I think I'm reminiscing and getting nostalgic about my childhood too much the last few years. Like to an obsessive degree. Makes me sad sometimes. It cant be healthy. Probably why I'm such a maladjusted adult. 

Sweden is a long way to go though innit? 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I always wondered what was wrong with your appearance..

(sub text - you were in them at the time of demolition) 

(sub sub text - I'm calling you ugly)

(sub sub sub text - I would only do this, knowing how comfortable you are in your own skin)

;) 

That comparison with a Block of flats is floored on so many levels.

• Like 2

Â