Tommy Elphick

Demitri_C

• 3 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Was it elphick that made that shocking error vs brighton that luckily we were not punished for? 

Yep, it was a weak back pass that left Johnstone rooted to his line. Brighton would have scored if not for Chester getting the block in. 

Elphick has been a huge disappointment ability wise this season. I thought we had a player on our hands after the opener at Hillsborough. He has a great attitude but is terrible with the ball a his feet and always liable for a mistake.

Sort of feel sorry for Tommy.

Started the season as Captain and seemed to be just what we wanted, a decent ball playing centre back who is decent in the air too.

However, as the games went by his confidence seemed to ebb away and the writing was really on the wall when we lost a CB and Brucie played Jedi at the back as opposed to bringing Tommy on. 

He is better with the ball at his feet than either Chester or Baker for me, but his actual ability isn't as good as he thinks it is and there is an error waiting every game. 

Yday's performance summed it up: Tried to play football near the corner and got away with it, when the same happened he played a back pace too short for SJ and we were lucky not to go 2 down. So like the calamity from way back v Huddersfield it only strengthened my view that we really could do with a better CB over the summer.

And what is with him stopping out for extra few minutes hitting balls right to left? Though the staffer that has been on the end of them all season has certainly got better touch now.... 

• Like 2

I don't expect him to be here next year, I imagine he will go for football, that is what he left a PL club for tbf.

I don't know what kind of a player he was before the injury, but maybe that has took something away from him. I was delighted from everything I heard, but he always has a dodgy pass in him, an unfortunate slip, a slightly mistimed jump. Margins..

I think he's been rubbish for most of the season. I was going to say massive disappointment but how many of us really knew how good he actually was given the Bournemouth team he came from conceded loads of goals the season they went up.

Would move him on for what we paid, I think QPR had a 2m bid for him rejected in January so think interest will be there.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Yep, it was a weak back pass that left Johnstone rooted to his line.

I'm not excusing the pass. It was terrible, and Elphick is crap.

However, I do think Johnstone could have got to the pass.

It would still have been a hospital pass and Johnstone would probably have only been able to blast it out of play or tackle the opposition player, but I think he could have made it. he was very hesitant.

But then again, maybe he decided it was safer to stay on his line, and given we blocked it I'd give him the benefit of the doubt.

Awful from Elphick though

Have to say when we first signed him he seemed like a real lion getting them all in a huddle and barking instructions. But since that Newcastle game when he made a massive cock up he has been utter shite. I think its probably best we get rid because he just looks error ridden. Seems like a nice guy but the move just ha snot worked out at all for either party.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm not excusing the pass. It was terrible, and Elphick is crap.

However, I do think Johnstone could have got to the pass.

It would still have been a hospital pass and Johnstone would probably have only been able to blast it out of play or tackle the opposition player, but I think he could have made it. he was very hesitant.

But then again, maybe he decided it was safer to stay on his line, and given we blocked it I'd give him the benefit of the doubt.

Awful from Elphick though

I agree, Johnstone looked very hesistant. Started to come then stopped, a lucky escape indeed. 

We've looked more solid since we dropped Elphick, the settled back four helps too. We need another decent CB for next season though, without a doubt. Maybe two. 

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Have to say when we first signed him he seemed like a real lion getting them all in a huddle and barking instructions. But since that Newcastle game when he made a massive cock up he has been utter shite. I think its probably best we get rid because he just looks error ridden. Seems like a nice guy but the move just ha snot worked out at all for either party.  

Ha bums

Are we not playing 'laugh at the funny words' game?

6 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I think he's been rubbish for most of the season. I was going to say massive disappointment but how many of us really knew how good he actually was given the Bournemouth team he came from conceded loads of goals the season they went up.

Would move him on for what we paid, I think QPR had a 2m bid for him rejected in January so think interest will be there.

I would agree with that. Bournemouth did concede loads of goals and that was masked by the fact they scored loads too. I really had high hopes of Elphick and in the first couple of games I thought we had bagged a good player, as I think we all did. Now he just seems like an accident waiting to happen. 

We need to move him and Richards on and buy a decent CB which plus one of the kids will give us four with Jedinak as further cover.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LancsVillan said:

He is better with the ball at his feet than either Chester or Baker for me, but his actual ability isn't as good as he thinks it is and there is an error waiting every game. 

Better than Chester? In my view Chester is the CB with the best technique and passing ability that we've had since...I can't even remember when, Cahill coming close.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Better than Chester? In my view Chester is the CB with the best technique and passing ability that we've had since...I can't even remember when, Cahill coming close.

Agree.

We see Chester make the odd mistake......but

That's having played virtually every minute of every game in an unstable team.

He has been nothing short of fabulous for me.

Elphick on the other hand looks mentally completely shot.

Edited by terrytini
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

He looked very dodgy with crosses in the two games v Spurs, don't think he'd suit English football at this point in time.

The fact he looked garbage on his YT video said it all. Why we were interested should be mystifying, but looking at our acquisitions recently, probably not.

Edited by rodders0223
  • Like 1

On 2017-5-10 at 06:56, Demitri_C said:

And garde wanted khazi from Sunderland as well. Maybe Lerner was right not to give him money!

He basically saved Sunderland last season. I know he looks like a fat bloated mess this season, but given how good he was last season, I'm going to choose to blame that on Moyes' inspirational man-management instead. 

• Like 1

Â