Tommy Elphick

Demitri_C

7 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

His lack of pace and defensive play has left a lot to be desired. He is getting exposed far too often.

Nail on head with the last part of your post.  Westwood and Gardner simply offer limited to no protection to our back four and shouldn't be allowed play together.  I truly believe that they are making Elphick and Chester look worse than they are.  Once Jedinak is up to speed and playing alongside Tish, we should start to see some clean sheets again (hopefully). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

Nail on head with the last part of your post.  Westwood and Gardner simply offer limited to no protection to our back four and shouldn't be allowed play together.  I truly believe that they are making Elphick and Chester look worse than they are.  Once Jedinak is up to speed and playing alongside Tish, we should start to see some clean sheets again (hopefully). 

Something I simply dont get about "professional" footballers. If I hear someone in my Sunday league team say something along the lines of Im not a defender or dosnt use my skills Ill crucify them. These guys have played football at a pro level for years and still seem unable to understand that their impact on the players around them. Is it the instructions being given by RDM? 

For what its worth I dont think Elphick is the best, love his personality on the pitch but he is being left at sea by whats going on in front of him at times.

4 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

His lack of pace and defensive play has left a lot to be desired. He is getting exposed far too often.

I'm fine with him in the air, him and Chester are good at heading it away so at least we don't look dodgy from corners and crosses anymore (I know the Brentford goal came from that but it was more the case of Cissokho getting sucked in centrally).

But yeah any sort of pace or players directly running at him and he gets found out, Hogan left him for dead first half.

The guy isn't some masterful defender, when Bournemouth went up they conceded plenty of goals but could outscore teams, we aren't capable of that yet.

Elphick is not the problem nor is he even remotely near the problem. We have a quality defender finally. He may make the occasional mistake, but it's obvious he is quality and his leadership is fantastic. You have to look at the players in front of him before you look st Elphick.

Like others have said, he's not very talented but there are bigger problems than him. There's a reason he cost so little in this transfer climate. It's because he's an OK lower leagues defender, been that throughout his career. He'll be adequate but he won't be the difference between Villa and other championship teams. 

The much bigger problem, though, is that whoever we put in defence will look worse because of the lack of protection from midfield and this has been the case for years now. On top of it, with the formation we're currently playing our full backs don't get enough help defensively too, which makes them either not comfortable going forward, which in turn hurts the width and movement, or exposed.

Tommy wants promotion...

Just one win in the first eight fixtures means Roberto Di Matteo’s team headed into Saturday’s game with Newcastle 18th in the table and Elphick concedes the slow start has left them playing catch-up in the promotion race.

But the skipper sees plenty of reason for encouragement in an ever-improving atmosphere at Bodymoor Heath and believes the arrival of nine new players during the summer transfer window has left the club well placed to challenge.

“I believe 100 per cent in the talent we have in the dressing room,” he said. “This place is now totally different to the one I walked into on the first day of pre-season

.Promotion

Â