Roberto Di Matteo

Sam3773

2 hours ago, Barney_avfc said:

Nobody has even mentioned Bacuna not being in either sides to face GAK???

Unfortunately that isn't due to him leaving necessarily, it's due to it being internationals season, he was taking part in the blockbuster that befits a player of his ability...

He helped Curacao beat US Virgin Islands 7-0 :lol:

• Like 1

When he says "I would like is to certainly start the week going into the first game to have more or less the group that i would like to work with for the season; more or less because August obviously the market is till open.  Suggests an awful LOT must happen in the next three weeks !

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

When he says "I would like is to certainly start the week going into the first game to have more or less the group that i would like to work with for the season; more or less because August obviously the market is till open.  Suggests an awful LOT must happen in the next three weeks !

Or worryingly, not much.

Agree players need to leave - five or six really - especially due to financial fair play stuff in the Championship - but it's also somewhat worrying we still have nobody in the squad capable of scoring goals regularly and we are now back at selling before buying.

Edited by Pilchard

2 hours ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

Unfortunately that isn't due to him leaving necessarily, it's due to it being internationals season, he was taking part in the blockbuster that befits a player of his ability...

He helped Curacao beat US Virgin Islands 7-0 :lol:

He definitely was at training camp though. It says in the Mail tonight he's been sent home :

As one midfielder arrives, another departs, but only temporarily. Leandro Bacuna has flown home from the Austrian camp after picking up and injury in training.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/picture-special-aaron-tshibola-training-11600111

14 minutes ago, Barney_avfc said:

He definitely was at training camp though. It says in the Mail tonight he's been sent home :

As one midfielder arrives, another departs, but only temporarily. Leandro Bacuna has flown home from the Austrian camp after picking up and injury in training.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/picture-special-aaron-tshibola-training-11600111

Obviously just a cover-up for opening talks about his £300m transfer.

So it seems so far that RDM is favouring a 4231 formation. I think the spine of that will be the new players:

Gollini

Hutton Elphick Toner/Okore Amavi

Tshibola Gardner

Adama         Grealish        Green

Ayew

Doesn't look too bad to me. It means that we wo t be playing too many of the losers from last season and hopefully the newer guys bring a winning mentality to the team. The youth players can then come in to help out the squad out.

Obviously, if we could get a top championship midfielder and goal scorer it would be better but I'm not too disappointed so far.

As long as we don't see Lescott, Guzan and Bacuna I'm happy.

• Like 1

I quite like the look of that team @mikeyp102. I'd like to see Hutton replaced with a better player but for what we have now it's not that bad on paper. Add to the mix an improved attitude and consistent coaching and we're already in a better place than last year. 

• Like 1

Yeah, Hutton is too "gung-ho" for my liking.

His positioning and crossing is terrible for the most part, always has a yellow or red card in him and is probably still on too high wages to be kept as a rotation player.

Can't fault him for effort thou.

• Like 1

True. He's also too long in the tooth to change his ways now, I'd rather find a younger player that still has room to develop. Not sure who to be honest though. I hear that Matt Lowton has had a reasonable season :(

Edited by It's Your Round
  • Like 1

I wouldn't be too bothered going into the first few games with Hutton. Ideally I'd like him replaced but there are other areas I'd like to see changes first, within the midfield & strike force.

Aug 31st would be OK for a RB for me, if those other positions are filled in earlier.

• Like 1

If that is the favoured formation, I can't see Ayew starting there. It is more suited to that Bristol City striker. Whether that means Ayew dropping further back or him leaving, I'm not too sure. I would suggest that RDM does not want to loose him but that may be out of his hands.

10 minutes ago, sne said:

Yeah, Hutton is too "gung-ho" for my liking.

His positioning and crossing is terrible for the most part, always has a yellow or red card in him and is probably still on too high wages to be kept as a rotation player.

Can't fault him for effort thou.

Yet he got an assist today so his crossing can't be that bad. ;)

44 minutes ago, Butterfingers said:

If that is the favoured formation, I can't see Ayew starting there. It is more suited to that Bristol City striker. Whether that means Ayew dropping further back or him leaving, I'm not too sure. I would suggest that RDM does not want to loose him but that may be out of his hands.

I agree in the premier league Ayew as central striker dosen't bring out the best in him consistantly, he's more a wide forward but given the drop in level I'm sure he'll be fine. Of course the owner has said we'll bring in at least one more striker who you think will be a regular so can mean Ayew dropping just off the main forward....or leaving....

Think a CM combo of Tshibola and Gardner looks a bit weak for a promotion challenging team tbh. Would prefer an experienced head in there who knows the championship like a Hendrick.

Let's not get carried away by someone like Tshibola...he's only played 15 games at this level and is coming to a club where expectations are much greater as Reading's home support is laughably bad.

Hutton playing isn't the end of the world...he is limited but will give his all. Wouldn't shock me though if we loan in a prem RB who isn't playing...maybe someone like Sam Byram who I doubt will be first choice at West Ham.

I suppose it will be same as ever...we'll start the season with largely this group...have a few poor results and suddenly start signing a lot in the final week just like last season.

On ‎11‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 18:42, Pilchard said:

Or worryingly, not much.

Agree players need to leave - five or six really - especially due to financial fair play stuff in the Championship - but it's also somewhat worrying we still have nobody in the squad capable of scoring goals regularly and we are now back at selling before buying.

I haven't been able to see a quote where this is said ?  If true I would say it is far more than worrying.......it would mean we've been sold a crock of s###.

Someone please confirm its not been said !!

• Like 1

As far as I know there are no actual quotes from anyone at the club, but Gregg Evans said it to be the case in one of his articles. After a confusion he did go on to say that it's got nothing to do with Di Matteo having no more money to spend, it's more to do with the club needing to trim the squad, as we have too many players as things stand.

I think it was Tuesday Xia posted “Hopefully we will complete the strengthened spine in two weeks! Creative midfielder and powerful strikers with bullets loaded." (link) and RDM said “Ideally I’m looking to go into the week leading up to the first game with roughly the group I would like to be working with for the season” (link). So that suggests we don't have to sell in to buy say a goal scorer (priority).  But today villa_southerner (who seems ITK) said "there's nothing close, Bamford is high on the list but there needs to be outs before ins.".  So who knows, but if Tony and RDM want to deliver on what they said they need to get their fingers out in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks Useless and Gary.

I think I will go on what has officially been said ,notwithstanding  'villa_southerners' view. New Owners deserve the benefit of any doubt.

Reading what has been said it simply looks like both are still ongoing.  Which is what one would hope and expect.

Relieved.

• Like 1

Â