Roberto Di Matteo

Sam3773

I'm very happy with the start RDM has made.  It was my opinion that we needed a new spine to the team and the first 3 signings have directly addressed this issue.  A goalie a central defender (and leader) a CM and the noises coming from the club that a striker is next.  Clearly it is the first step on a very long journey with many other major issues that need addressing before the season starts.  Also I have no idea how well these players will fulfill the roles they have been signed for, I can only hope.  In the main they have made sensible and well thought through decisions as a team.  Can't ask for much more than this at this early stage.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, av1 said:

I don't mean to answer for Trent, but many (including myself) were concerned about his ability to rebuild the squad, having never really undertaken a challenge of this sort to date. 

I do understand that, but to be honest i dont think there are many managers out there that have the level of experience that need to rebuild a club to this extent

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I do understand that, but to be honest i dont think there are many managers out there that have the level of experience that need to rebuild a club to this extent

I think this "never built a squad" thing has been over hyped. Unless you're walking into an incredibly successful side, every manager would relish the opportunity to totally rebuild, bringing in his own players. Normally squads are that of the current manager by the end of the 3rd or 4th window in any case.

We already have in place 3 excellent new signings, there will be a minimum of 4 from last season who can start. In many ways, it's easier to be in the fortunate position that RDM is in, ie with some financial backing to bring in own players.

Gradually, as these players are coming in, the task of rebuilding this squad looks easier with every new signing. Key will be how many of the few good players we can keep hold of.

8 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Its certainly a big job. My other reservation about RDM, and I'll happily admit that I'm judging the book by the cover without really delving into it, is that he comes across as quite passive, which i wasn't really sure was the type of personality needed. 

But I think the appointment of Steve Clark was very shrewd, and I'm impressed with the rest of his team from the few articles I've read, so fingers crossed we might be on to a winner :thumb:

This is very early days of course but I think things are going a bit smoother than if we'd got Pearson - he would've been too divisive I feel. And obviously there would've been no Steve Clarke either (most likely).

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 1

Yeah totally agree, early days as you say but RDM seems to be doing all the right things. I get the feeling that the squad is already a much more positive place to be around.  I think he commands a lot of respect from the the players and he has a quite confidence and steely determination that will hopefully rub off.  like you say, Steve Clark as No2 was a masterstroke and they seem to complement each other really well. I know Kevin Bond is not particularly liked on here, but even he adds a lot of football experience - I was reading somewhere how he's helped to oversee three promotions, one at Portsmouth and two at QPR.  Results will tell there own story, but as it stands it all look very good.  Still hope we can get a few more quality players in and ship a few out, but have growing faith that RDM and his team know what they're doing.  Feels good!

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Mantis said:

This is very early days of course but I think things are going a bit smoother than if we'd got Pearson - he would've been to divisive I feel. And obviously there would've been no Steve Clarke either (most likely).

Pearson, in my eyes, never looked right for our club.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Everything seems really calm, ordered. The players seem happy, nobody seems rushed or panicked and despite protestations of some fans the signings are coming in, slowly but surely. Without fuss or too much fanfare. 

New manager with a new set up, a new captain and a couple of new players. Things are building nicely. 

This I agree with you :) 

I wonder if we can gleam anything from RDM's squad selections against GAK for who is staying and potentially going?

First Half:  Gollini, Richards, Elphick, Baker, Cissokho, Gana, Gardner, Gil, Veretout, Ayew, Kozak.

Now maybe having our new signings and some of our better players from last season in the line up is misleading me here, but this reads like a list of players RDM wants to keep. I mean Gollini, Elphick, Gana, Gardner, Gil, Veretout and Ayew are in this line up and those will surely be here at the start of the season ideally. Richards was played at right back so maybe agreeing to play there even though he signed as a center back has saved him from the chop? It's certainly a more promising selection of players than the second half was. 

Second Half:  Bunn, Hutton, Okore, Lescott, Bennett, Westwood, Petrov, Grealish, Agbonlahor, Sinclair, Gestede.

This already reads more like a bomb squad than a top squad. Yes Petrov is there but he's not a Villa player currently and may not be at the end of all of this. Though aside from maybe Okore, Petrov and Grealish there is no one in this line up I would particularly want to save. Maybe there is nothing in his selections but it does seem he lumped a lot of the squads best players together in the first half. 

So based on this could the outgoings be the likes of;

Bunn, Hutton, Lescott, Bennett, Westwood, Agbonlahor, Sinclair and Gestede?

I am still undecided on Baker, Cissokho and Kozak from the first half squad, but I am putting a lot of my speculation on the fact that the first half selection looks more like a list of players many of us would keep. I am certainly more intrigued about our potential outgoings than our incomings currently that is for sure.  

• Like 1

His attitude and ego has likely already singled him out as not worth bothering with. 

For all the shit we give Richards, Lescott and Gabby which is justified at least all three seem to have knuckled down and tried to turn over a new leaf. It is likely too little too late for most of them, but Bacuna didn't even come on as a sub when Richards went off injured.

RDM is giving everyone a chance but Bacuna may just be too far gone. 

From the OS (link)

Villa in Austria: Di Matteo gives verdict on squad

Roberto Di Matteo has spoken of his delight at the transfer business so far – “strengthening the spine of the team.”

But the boss admits that now is the right time to work on reducing the size of the squad and working on letting some players leave.

He said: “From day one, I was looking to strengthen the spine of the team, make it as strong as possible. 

“I am very pleased with the additions so far. We’ve been very quick to get the right signings in and I have been very pleased about that. 

“Right now, we have a big squad. I have focused a lot of my time on training but also in signing the right players. 

“Probably over the next two or three weeks I need to look at getting some players out as well. 

“I want to trim the squad. I don’t want as big a squad as we have now. My focus will be on that.”

Di Matteo stresses the rest of the training camp and the remaining pre-season friendlies will offer him the chance to decide who stays and who goes.

He added: “I haven’t made my final decision on what the squad will be like. I know in numbers how many I would like but this time gives me the opportunity to look and assess all the players and make decisions. 

“We have only had one friendly and not even two weeks of training so I’d like to have a bit more time to make final decisions on which players I would like to keep.

“There is a lot of work to do. I am going to make some changes. 

“It will probably take some time to bed down the principles of our play and get the team to mould together but I am happy and confident so far.”

7 minutes ago, Barney_avfc said:

Nobody has even mentioned Bacuna not being in either sides to face GAK???

Holy crap I hadn't even noticed his absence :o. Please, please, please be leaving.

He's a symbol of everything wrong with Villa for me. Stealing a living, awful attitude and no idea what he even contributes to the side.

1 hour ago, Daweii said:

I wonder if we can gleam anything from RDM's squad selections against GAK for who is staying and potentially going?

First Half:  Gollini, Richards, Elphick, Baker, Cissokho, Gana, Gardner, Gil, Veretout, Ayew, Kozak.

Now maybe having our new signings and some of our better players from last season in the line up is misleading me here, but this reads like a list of players RDM wants to keep. I mean Gollini, Elphick, Gana, Gardner, Gil, Veretout and Ayew are in this line up and those will surely be here at the start of the season ideally. Richards was played at right back so maybe agreeing to play there even though he signed as a center back has saved him from the chop? It's certainly a more promising selection of players than the second half was. 

Second Half:  Bunn, Hutton, Okore, Lescott, Bennett, Westwood, Petrov, Grealish, Agbonlahor, Sinclair, Gestede.

This already reads more like a bomb squad than a top squad. Yes Petrov is there but he's not a Villa player currently and may not be at the end of all of this. Though aside from maybe Okore, Petrov and Grealish there is no one in this line up I would particularly want to save. Maybe there is nothing in his selections but it does seem he lumped a lot of the squads best players together in the first half. 

So based on this could the outgoings be the likes of;

Bunn, Hutton, Lescott, Bennett, Westwood, Agbonlahor, Sinclair and Gestede?

I am still undecided on Baker, Cissokho and Kozak from the first half squad, but I am putting a lot of my speculation on the fact that the first half selection looks more like a list of players many of us would keep. I am certainly more intrigued about our potential outgoings than our incomings currently that is for sure.  

You might be on to something there.

And of course we are missing Amavi, Traore, Sanchez and Tshibola at this stage.

4 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Everything seems really calm, ordered. The players seem happy, nobody seems rushed or panicked and despite protestations of some fans the signings are coming in, slowly but surely. Without fuss or too much fanfare. 

New manager with a new set up, a new captain and a couple of new players. Things are building nicely. 

Judgement suspended for me until we into the competitive season and see how the team is performing , shape, quality of the squad etc taking everything into consideration.  I was one not that pleased about him joining,  but new manager,  new owner deserves a chance

Â