Roberto Di Matteo

Sam3773

2 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I agree he needs a lot more time to get us get us firing on all cylinders which is why I said he has been given all the tools at this stage to make a decent first of it.  At this point I don’t think one win in nine games is making a decent fist of it and if that were to become one win in 11 then I definitely wouldn’t.

Indeed the line has to be drawn somewhere. We can call it 11 games, 13 games, 15 games, there will still be some who have a valid argument that he wasn't given long enough. However from my point of view, 1 win in 11 would be more than long enough. It's getting to a point where as a fanbase we must be shown more if we are to stick with him.

I'm sure RDM understood that pressure existed when he took the job. When he was handed a cool £35m net in the summer. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I think this debate will be redundant by this time tomorrow personally.

I believe we will hammer Barnsley tonight, the squad should have taken a lot of heart from saving the game late on against Newcastle, psychologically it should/could prove to be the turning point in the season.

Problem with Aston Villa is that there is a fairly good chance it won't and we will go down to Barnsley with a whimper.

50 minutes ago, Nigel said:

So what we need to do is keep changing managers till one of them stumbles onto a winning formula for a few months......then what when he hits a sticky patch?

No we need to appoint the right one in the first place. Did Sherwood, Garde, RDM - ever look capable of this job. RDM had been out of work for year, and never stayed anywhere longer than a season and a bit. 

6 minutes ago, KHV said:

Problem with Aston Villa is that there is a fairly good chance it won't and we will go down to Barnsley with a whimper.

It's a real possibility but I get the feeling that we just needed something to get the players' heads right and to get some momentum which I think Saturday has the potential to achieve.

it was only a draw yes but it will have felt like more, something that I think the fans reciprocated.

Time will tell and hindsight tomorrow will determine whether I'm right or not.

2 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

He doesn't. 4 will do. But he probably needs a win tonight.

I think 4 might extend his tenure for a longer but in the long run won't be enough. Dr X. doesn't strike me as a patient man but that's just my opinion based on little evidence. Unless we see some good play and 2+ goal wins then I think Dr X. will wonder what his £50m spend in the summer has actually done. 

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

It's a real possibility but I get the feeling that we just needed something to get the players' heads right and to get some momentum which I think Saturday has the potential to achieve.

it was only a draw yes but it will have felt like more, something that I think the fans reciprocated.

Time will tell and hindsight tomorrow will determine whether I'm right or not.

Think youre over cooking that TBH.We went gung ho for 30 minutes and scored from a corner. There was little pattern of play or suggestion that we have hit a winning formula.

I am not for changing managers all the time.....but I will be surprised ( pleasantly) if he is with us long.

We just don't seem to be able to select/attract the right ones.

6 minutes ago, villa89 said:

I think 4 might extend his tenure for a longer but in the long run won't be enough. Dr X. doesn't strike me as a patient man but that's just my opinion based on little evidence. Unless we see some good play and 2+ goal wins then I think Dr X. will wonder what his £50m spend in the summer has actually done. 

Who makes the call ? Round, Wyness or XIA ? 

I read it as

Wyness - Get Rid of RDM

Round - Keep RDM

XIA - Really not sure 

5 minutes ago, hippo said:

Who makes the call ? Round, Wyness or XIA ? 

Again I'd guess if Dr X wants anything done at the club, it gets done. Round & Wyness would handle the day to day but any big decision would come from the top. 

30 minutes ago, hippo said:

Think youre over cooking that TBH.We went gung ho for 30 minutes and scored from a corner. There was little pattern of play or suggestion that we have hit a winning formula.

The formula (as in the system) changed when Tshibola came on and we dropped the stupid 5 at the back experiment. Later on Gestede caused a bit of mayhem in the box. Start with something similar tonight system wise and we should look much better than we did first half v Newcastle, although I'd still leave Gestede as an impact sub.

45 minutes ago, hippo said:

No we need to appoint the right one in the first place. Did Sherwood, Garde, RDM - ever look capable of this job. RDM had been out of work for year, and never stayed anywhere longer than a season and a bit. 

Only 2 Championship managers have been at their club over 2 years.  Can you name them?!

47 minutes ago, hippo said:

Okay, that's your view.

I disagree, I think we were better for all of the second half if not on top/in command. We had a goal (rightfully) disallowed but it was marginal, we hit the post and then scored, Elphick also missed a pretty easy header, if the game had gone on for another 5-10 mins you'd feel that we probably would have won and almost did with the ball just eluding Kodija 6 yards out.

It was far from a complete performance but we came back from a goal down to win a point against the team that most people seem to be setting as the benchmark for this division.

I don't want to go on too much cos if we lose tonight then it's all hot air and bullshit but if, as I suspect, we pick up three points tonight then I think come May, we'll look back on those last 15 odd mins against Newcastle as being the turning point.

• Like 1

Â