Roberto Di Matteo

Sam3773

31 minutes ago, ender4 said:

I disagree with the analysis where a 2-year promotion plan is mentioned. 

Its a 1 year automatic promotion plan from Xia (the 2 years was only mentioned by RDM to take pressure off).

........or........

If the next two games pass and we win neither then at best that would leave us with 11 points from 11 games with 1 win all season and no win in 9. That to me would be unacceptable.

I accept he inherited a dire situation but for me he has been given all the tools required to make a decent fist of it. He has all his own coaching staff and has been given a fortune to spend at this level to help revamp the squad. I look at the squad and despite being a little unbalanced I think it is comfortably good enough to be competing for a promotion place.

My biggest hope with Di Matteo now is that I want him to go back to an attacking formation. This 5-2-3 crap has to stop. When we have looked our best this season it has been when we start with an attacking line up and with an attacking mentality. It is later in games when we have sat deep and a couple of tactical errors late on from the manager and individual errors that have cost us. Had we have stuck with the positive way were approaching games then I am sure the wins would have come.

I hope we do secure a couple of wins this week and the pressure is then off Di Matteo. I really hope if we don’t though it isn’t because we approached games with a negative formation and attitude as I can’t be having any more of that.

On 25. September 2016 at 17:05, DK82 said:

I do agree with this. I think we've bought in the wrong areas (too many strikers!) not enough ammunition. 

Sorry to disagree

To finish top 6 in any league you need (players relative to that leagues standard) a squad along these lines

2GK 1RB 1RWB 3CD 1LB 1LWB

3CM 1RW 1LW 2AM 2ST

Thats just a 1st 11 + Bench

We're still short in

GK RB CM 1L/RW

We have Adohma as a winger

Ayew McScore & Grealish as AM

(2 was probably enough but JG was still no guarantee as to come good - not buying McS would have bern a mistake)

Kodjia & Gestede

1 too many AM, 1 too less winger if you like. But I'd rather have 1 too many than not enough

We just needed to buy more players of the right standard to take care of every position

22 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:
2 hours ago, villa89 said:

He has to get 6 points from the next two games to save his job IMO.

He doesn't. 4 will do. But he probably needs a win tonight.

I agree but I doubt it really matters which of the two games we win other than if we don’t win tonight it just increases the pressure.

If we draw tonight and then win on Saturday then his job is safe. Even if we lost tonight with a two week break after Saturday he would not be getting the sack before then so would then have the opportunity to get a win on Saturday which would likely save him.

I think failure to win either of the next two and with the two week break he is likely done for.

2 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

Stability is something we need, I think sacking RDM now would ruin any semblance of stability which has been installed since Xia arrived. 

Success is what we need.  Stability only if the manager we have in place delivers success.  No good sticking with a failing manager in the name of stability.  The way RDM is conducting team affairs at the moment success will not be forthcoming and so neither should stability.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Richard said:

Success is what we need.  Stability only if the manager we have in place delivers success.  No good sticking with a failing manager in the name of stability.  The way RDM is conducting team affairs at the moment success will not be forthcoming and so neither should stability.

I understand your point, I feel like one breeds the other and that they're reciprocal in that respect though. I do agree that there is no point sticking with a failing manager, but for me I don't think RDM has failed just yet... I suppose it depends on your definition of that. 

9 minutes ago, Richard said:

I have to agree. Sticking with a manager for stability sake alone will not improve our situation one bit. He does need to show he knows his best formation and best 11 to fit that and where required show that he has a basic grasp on whats required to win a football match. I havent seen any of those 3 prerequisites from him.

Bruce to me would be a case of re-arranging the deck chairs. 

On 25. September 2016 at 19:10, Woodytom said:

I think the big thing for me is that overall there has been very little if any improvement from the 'basics' point of view.

PPl can reference new team this and new team that all they want but other 'new' teams cope. Not only that but spending 60m in the championship and failing to have any sort of plan is beyond unforgiveable. 

I honestly believe (and I said this in the summer). A solid defence with 2 wingers pumping balls into gestede and we will get out of this league. Why oh why it looks so difficult is beyond me. BASICS.

Thats one way of doing it

2 defeats and he's gone. I actually think 2 draws and he'll be gone aswell. We need a minimum of 4 pts for me. The last 3 games have been awful football wise and the change is worrying for me. If we'd have pummelled the last 3 teams and got the same results I'd be happy knowing it'd turn but RDM has gone negative in all of them and only attacked when backed into a corner by Newcastle. Tonight we have to attack and we have to get a result. No more excuses. 

32 minutes ago, Richard said:

So what we need to do is keep changing managers till one of them stumbles onto a winning formula for a few months......then what when he hits a sticky patch?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

I accept he inherited a dire situation but for me he has been given all the tools required to make a decent fist of it. He has all his own coaching staff and has been given a fortune to spend at this level to help revamp the squad. I look at the squad and despite being a little unbalanced I think it is comfortably good enough to be competing for a promotion place.

He hasnt been given all the tools though has he?  The biggest one he (or anyone else for that matter) needs is time.

We are not going down so there is no emergency need like last year;  We are trying to build a team here not scramble a few results together.

• Like 2

I think this debate will be redundant by this time tomorrow personally.

I believe we will hammer Barnsley tonight, the squad should have taken a lot of heart from saving the game late on against Newcastle, psychologically it should/could prove to be the turning point in the season.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Nigel said:
2 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

He hasnt been given all the tools though has he?  The biggest one he (or anyone else for that matter) needs is time.

I agree he needs a lot more time to get us get us firing on all cylinders which is why I said he has been given all the tools at this stage to make a decent first of it.  At this point I don’t think one win in nine games is making a decent fist of it and if that were to become one win in 11 then I definitely wouldn’t.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

Â