Roberto Di Matteo

Sam3773

1 minute ago, terrytini said:

But we did resist Ipswich throwing the sink at us, and its not really fair to say Newcastle weren't throwing anything at us - they weren't because we were on top !!

The guy can't win !!!

(In more ways than one :))

We were a goal down until the 88th minute against Newcastle so were all out attacking. I wasn't at Ipswich but didn't they come with in the width of the post of scoring in the last couple of minutes as we again sat deep late into a game.

He can win with me by winning some games :-)

• Like 1

I'd like to make it apparent that whether he changes tactics, formations or personel, it only relevant in the postive ie gaining points from losing/drawing positions.

He has managed in 11 games, to win against the bottom team 3-0 at home, lose 3-1 twice after leading and draw 0-0 away at Derby (who are shite) drawing 1-1 at home to the league favourites (who quite honestly looked not much better than shite) Drawing the rest from winning positions

WHAT MORE PROOF does anyone need that he doesn't know what he's doing and is not learning while doing.

12 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Nah that's not right.

It looks like he does that because we aren't winning.  Had he made the same changes and we'd not conceded a few daft late goals he'd be hailed as a genius for his flexibility.  Peoples view of tactical changes is almost entirely concluded (although not always formed, I agree ) in hindsight.

My opinions are formed watching the games unfold in front of my eyes. The results then bear those opinions out. 

That's not hindsight?

I would make a rubbish manager I'm sure and maybe it's easier for me watching the game from afar and without the inside knowledge of the squad he presumably has. Still, I feel like I've watched enough football to know the basics. He's overcomplicating things and he's not learning from his mistakes. 

It's very poor. 

I really don't know what to make of this at the moment. I was behind RDM when we brought him in, I like him generally. I was impressed by his back room staff and the way he shipped out most of the idiots and started bringing in players in positions that the majority of us thought we needed. We started the season playing way better than last year and I had confidence we'd turn the corner. Now I'm not so sure.

Watching the game last night, we were truly awful. RDM takes the blame for that, for sure. As in so many games already, there were obvious issues that he failed to address. No doubt in my mind about that. 

I want things to improve, we all do. The Sheffield Wednesday, Leeds, Barnsley and Rotherham fans where I work keep telling me not to worry, that league position doesn't count for much until after Christmas in the championship. Anyone can beat anyone in this league and a run of games can see you shoot up the league. All well and good and probably true, but then they don't watch us every week. 

The other thing that concerns me is there's no guarantees whoever we bring in will do any better. They might, and at the moment that won't be hard. But there's a chance they can't turn it around either. Maybe I'm scarred from the constant managerial changes that have amounted to nothing. 

I'm inclined to give him more time. It looks bad right now but a few wins would change that, providing he looks like he's learning from the mistakes. How much more time I don't know, depends how bad or good it gets over the next three games for me. 

• Like 2

Dont sit f*****g back all the time!! Attack teams from the start, when do we ever boss a game from the start?

Seriously, some of the quality in the Championship is appalling, we could be beating these teams 2 or 3 nil every week if we played positively.

Some people say it's a hard league, no its not, and it should not be with our quality. I watched the Friday night game on Sky the other week, think it was Reading, and the quality of football was abysmal.

Sick of negative managers!

• Like 1

Players are look off the pace. There is a lack of belief and intensity. Formations and tactics only get so far if you're not getting the best out of the players. We need a manager who can instill this belief. Who is out there?  I don't know to much about Steve Bruce's man management but his teams have always been hard working and solid if nothing else. 

the final 20mins v newcattle were the best played this season

the rest is a no show of any quality play

i keep saying to my self he (rdm) time etc then the other side says game after  game theirs no improvement

options.. would bruce or rowett do a better job over 40 odd games with the same players? i think they would

The problem is, even if we change manager, the midfield is seriously unbalanced.  It seems better when Tish is fit, but it's been a bit stop-start for him.  Could really have done with another midfielder in the window.  It seems strange to think we didn't sign enough players considering what business we did, but the team really was that shit.  As it is, I think I'd stick with him and give him until January.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ender4 said:

22% of the season finished, 12 points behind Hudderfield, 7 points behind Bham City, and the gap increasing with every game.

But more importantly, tactics, formation, mentality and subs from the manager are not there. 

The points total is unacceptable but we can still move up the table things change quickly in this division ,think the players are playing for the menager you can see that with the effort that is being put in in every game I think it's just poor finishing and a small bit of luck and we will turn around the results ,I'm not saying RDM is the greatest manager in the world just saying I think he has been unlucky in a lot of different ways and I wouldn't blame him entirely for our position if we  are still in the same position come end of October I would def be in the RDM out camp but at the moment I am not would like to see him given more time .

RDM isn't going anywhere. 

We've got a team that average more shots per game than most In the league. We've conceded in the first half only once all season. There's only 6 teams who have conceded less goals than us this season, and 2 of them have played less games than us. 

If those stats were for any other team, I'm sure most here would consider them to be unlucky, and that if they keep on doing what they're doing, they'll come good. I'm fairly sure the first reaction would not be "that team needs to ditch their manager pronto"

We've hit the woodwork what 6 or 7 times this season? Let's say luck was on our side, and 4 of those went in, let's also assume that 2 of those games we held on to win. All other things being equal, that puts on 14 points in 12th, 3 points off the playoff spots. It's still not ideal, but it's a far more palatable situation. Had luck ruled that a couple more bounces gone our way and not landed plumb at the feet of the opposition striker, we might have won another couple as well putting us on 18 in 3rd.

There's so much variance at play given the small number of games played, the fact is no one can be sure if RDM is a mistake or not at the moment.

• Like 2

The team is predominantly made up of RDM signings now.

While booting him out may help I don't think it will do us any favours.

What I can't work out is why he feels the need to shoehorn players into wrong positions or have an unbalanced team most games.

Is 4 4 2 a dirty formation ? Is it not trendy any more ?

We have several attacking players so a couple can go on the bench.

Subjective I know but for me 

Top 2 is mccormack and kod

Then you have midfield 

If grealish can't help tracking back then he's on the bench and it's ayew on the left and adomah on the right 

Jed and tish in the middle

Defence is also simple

Bacuna right amavi left elphick and in the middle

Bench

Guestede grealish baker and a couple others

Against more attacking teams maybe cissoko on for amavi 

Just bloody try it for 3 games and see what happens !!!

20 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Just putting aside the debate on performances and individual errors. One win in 11 competitive games against Championship and League two opposition is shocking. The manager currently has a 9% win percentage. We are currently closer to bottom than we are to 10th.

I can't see how the above can be defended. We have signed a lot of new players I'd accept that but the manager wasn't given peanuts to buy them he was armed with a fortune for this level and yet has moulded a squad that he doesn't have a clue how to get best out of. His constant chopping and changing of the formation shows that. Him going from an attacking positive mentality playing on the front foot to a negative one and sitting deep shows that. It seems he is hoping to stumble on something that works rather than working to a game plan he had in mind when he spunked 60 mill on nine new players and had carte blanche on who he wanted to keep from what he inherited.

I had my doubts about him but to say I am disappointed in him is an under statement.

The stumble bit is what worries me.....He mirrors the same look of vagueness that i have seen in previous managers.

you can be in the midst of a project and the results not forthcoming and still be confident that the principles of your philosophy and method will bring home the bacon......He looks vacant and lost.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, It's Your Round said:

I really don't know what to make of this at the moment. I was behind RDM when we brought him in, I like him generally. I was impressed by his back room staff and the way he shipped out most of the idiots and started bringing in players in positions that the majority of us thought we needed. We started the season playing way better than last year and I had confidence we'd turn the corner. Now I'm not so sure.

Watching the game last night, we were truly awful. RDM takes the blame for that, for sure. As in so many games already, there were obvious issues that he failed to address. No doubt in my mind about that. 

I want things to improve, we all do. The Sheffield Wednesday, Leeds, Barnsley and Rotherham fans where I work keep telling me not to worry, that league position doesn't count for much until after Christmas in the championship. Anyone can beat anyone in this league and a run of games can see you shoot up the league. All well and good and probably true, but then they don't watch us every week. 

The other thing that concerns me is there's no guarantees whoever we bring in will do any better. They might, and at the moment that won't be hard. But there's a chance they can't turn it around either. Maybe I'm scarred from the constant managerial changes that have amounted to nothing. 

I'm inclined to give him more time. It looks bad right now but a few wins would change that, providing he looks like he's learning from the mistakes. How much more time I don't know, depends how bad or good it gets over the next three games for me. 

The fans you've been speaking to are spot on about this league, having also followed Brighton, I can promise you this, we are well within reach of automatic promotion still, we could even still win the league without having to go on some unbeaten rampage.

its not been enjoyable drawing all these games in the last minutes, but still only lost two games and well within reach of the top spot.

Appreciate the scepticism but it is unneeded at this stage. We have been unlucky let's not just pass that off with "other teams have been unlucky too", we genuinely have had bad luck, had the ball bounce a different way or come off the angle of someone's shin or head slightly differently we would be in the top 6, so let's take our time, it's s new team, new set up, all still learning about eachother. RDM is entitled to tinker with tactics on match day, I think we all agree he had us playing lovely stuff the first lot of games, so we know it's in our locker.

No stresses here, just enjoy the ride.

• Like 3

I'm usually all for giving a manager time and being patient, but I need him to show he's trying to learn from his mistakes and change things up.

Last night just proved to me he's not learning and is either being stubborn, stupid or both.

We have arguably the best attacking options in the entire division. Why sign McCormack and Kodjia in addition to having another proven Championship 20-goal-a-season in Gestede and a player as good as Ayew, and Adomah, another proven attacking threat at this level if that's not how you're going to play? It's just lunacy.

At the moment it looks like he's squeezing them all in up front, putting two midfielders in there to cover the back four and then telling them to sit back after going a goal up. Meanwhile, we don't have a consistent playmaker to create chances for our wealth of options up front save for McCormack and he seems to think with two 20-goal-a-season strikers and Ayew on the pitch at the same time we'll definitely score. It's proven that it's just not working even when we had McCormack in the starting eleven, though at least we looked more dangerous.

Why is making the same mistakes over and over again? It's not bloody rocket science. Stop being so damn defensive and utilise the firepower we have up front properly. We might ship a goal or two but **** it, let's be the team who outscores their opponents rather than shuts them out. We have the players at our disposal so play to their strengths.

• Like 2

Results will ultimately spell his fate.

However, what will speed it up, will be if he has no idea what is wrong.

If he explains a plan of mitigation he may well, buy himself some time.

41 minutes ago, TRO said:

The stumble bit is what worries me.....He mirrors the same look of vagueness that i have seen in previous managers.

you can be in the midst of a project and the results not forthcoming and still be confident that the principles of your philosophy and method will bring home the bacon......He looks vacant and lost.

Honestly, of his many faults the "look of vagueness" is pretty far down the list. I'm far more concerned about his tactical naivety.

Â