Roberto Di Matteo

Sam3773

2 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Well I can see the logic. Lets just say I felt RDM was an absolutely crap manager before he took over then 1 win in 11 and I am likely to be convinced that me thinking he was crap was correct and I am still not going to want him.

If however I felt RDM was the bees bollocks before he took over then the fact he had a poor start may well leave me thinking I am happy to give him a fair bit longer to prove that he is the manager I thought he was when he took over.

That to me isn't confirmation bias that is just you having an opinion of some one before they take over and that opinion either being backed up by results or being questioned by them. If I am wrong then fair enough.

Bottom line is it is hardly a surprise that fans who never wanted him will be clamouring for him to get the push after a poor run of results earlier than those who were happy he was appointed.

Confirmation bias

In psychology and cognitive science, confirmation bias (or confirmatory bias) is a tendency to search for or interpret information in a way that confirms one's preconceptions

https://www.sciencedaily.com/terms/confirmation_bias.htm

In both cases you've listed, you're using your preconceptions to interpret our current run of form. That's why I said in my previous post that it's only reasonable to want RDM out now if you would also want any other manager out if they also had the same run of form in their first 10 games.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KSV said:

I think it's too early too but what is frustrating n e is he keeps making the same mistakes and doesn't appear to learn from them. He also appears to have no idea how to Fix it. 

How do you fix this club? We are doing well defensively but cannot finish our chances. We are creating scoring opportunities, but our strikers just don't finish consistently. He has tried Gestede, Kodjia, McCormack and Ayew up top, but it's all the same. None are on great goal scoring form. 

@Godders Like I said mate fair enough if, as you have now shown, I am wrong. Cheers for putting it in bold and large font as well as my eyes aren't what they used to be and I don't have my readers handy :)

I do disagree though that it is only reasonable to give a manager you don't rate the same amount of time as one you do.

I'd be very confident in saying that if we had employed Pep Guardiola and then lost our first 8 games he would be given far more grace, and time, from supporters than say had we have appointed Alex McLeish simply because 99.99% of supporters would have rated him the much better manager prior to him being appointed. It is only natural how much you rated a manager when he was appointed will have an impact on how patient you are and that to me is perfectly reasonable.

Edited by markavfc40

11 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

@Godders Like I said mate fair enough if, as you have now shown, I am wrong. Cheers for putting it in bold and large font as well as my eyes aren't what they used to be and I don't have my readers handy :)

I do disagree though that it is only reasonable to give a manager you don't rate the same amount of time as one you do.

I'd be very confident in saying that if we had employed Pep Guardiola and then lost our first 8 games he would be given far more grace, and time, from supporters than say had we have appointed Alex McLeish simply because 99.99% of supporters would have rated him the much better manager prior to him being appointed. It is only natural how much you rated a manager when he was appointed will have an impact on how patient you are and that to me is perfectly reasonable.

It's the way it copied across - I wasn't shouting it at you, honest! :)

Ultimately, Xia rates RDM otherwise he wouldn't have employed him, so he's going to get more time. Correctly in my opinion, since statistically we're playing as one of the better teams in the league, and we're defensively solid. Just got to start converting the chances, but I think that will come. We're unbeaten in 5 at the moment, only lost twice, taken the lead in most of our games this season. Yes it's an easier league, but the distance we've come since being relegated as one of the worst teams in premiership history, with the worst home form in the country, to bemoaning the fact we're not top 6 where really we should be, is pretty staggering IMO. RDM deserves more time for me.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Godders said:

It's the way it copied across - I wasn't shouting it at you, honest! :)

Ultimately, Xia rates RDM otherwise he wouldn't have employed him, 

No problem.

I am sure Xia did and for now still does rate him but that doesn't mean the supporters had to from the get go or have to continue to.

Like I have said unlike others who simply didn't want him I had some doubts but overall was fine with the appointment. One win in 11, no wins in 8, and performances having gone backwards is now leading me to believe that the doubts I had were unfortunately warranted and those that didn't want him from the get go were perhaps bang on the money.

As long as he remains manager though that can all change and those that never wanted him, and the likes of me who now think we may well have dropped a bollock, can be proved wrong. If he is to remain then I sincerely hope that is the case. 

• Like 1

He has stated we will finish in the top 6. 

Aston Villa manager Roberto di Matteo has given his players a confidence boost by insisting that they will finish in the Championship's top six.

Relegated Villa have drawn seven of their 10 league games this season, including their past five.

It has left them just two points above the Championship relegation zone.

But Di Matteo is happy at their general form and is looking the other way up the table, pointing out: "We are only seven points behind sixth place."

Villa travel to Preston North End for the first time in 42 years on Saturday, followed by a home derby against Wolves on 15 October.

The Italian told BBC WM: "I believe that this team will be in the top six at the end of the season. That is the confidence I have, that the team has, that we will be up there.

"Who knows where, but we will be up in the top six."

Villa might have been a lot higher had they hung on to leads in three of their five successive draws, against Nottingham Forest, Brentford and Barnsley.

But they came from behind to claim a point against Championship title favourites Newcastle United last weekend.

Aston Villa will finish in Championship top six, insists manager

If the latest owner tweet is correct and the comments we have above then RDM strikes me as such a weak manager , someone without a definite plan just scratching around trying anything for a solution but no real idea . In fact some of his selection and tactics changes to me confirm that. He has to go

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Czechlad said:

How do you fix this club? We are doing well defensively but cannot finish our chances. We are creating scoring opportunities, but our strikers just don't finish consistently. He has tried Gestede, Kodjia, McCormack and Ayew up top, but it's all the same. None are on great goal scoring form. 

Should have purchased Rhodes who is the clinical striker Villa needed.

15 minutes ago, striker said:

Should have purchased Rhodes who is the clinical striker Villa needed.

Its not a problem with the Strikers. Its how to play them in. An RDM has no idea. Where are the creators, where are the wingers, an where the F*** is the midfield. Its a mish mash of a team. I have been to a few games and its just like, he sends them out with no real plan of action.

Please tell me who is providing the strikers. Gestede has proved he can score a goal or 2 in this league, why is he not scoring the goals we need. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

He has stated we will finish in the top 6. 

Aston Villa will finish in Championship top six, insists manager

Well that will be a proper boost to their confidence won't it. I'm sure the only missing ingredient for the squad this season has been whether the manager thinks they will finish in the top 6. 

This guy is clearly a managerial genius. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Well that will be a proper boost to their confidence won't it. I'm sure the only missing ingredient for the squad this season has been whether the manager thinks they will finish in the top 6. 

To be fair to him I would rather he said that, than be negative like moyes has been with Sunderland for example

• Like 3

The issue isn't with the strikers, it's the formation RDM is playing them in. Just sticking 4 strikers on a pitch doesn't mean you will bang in goals every week.

Also we have a ridiculously weak midfield and have had this problem for the last few years. The more midfielders we have on the pitch (three in the middle), the more chances our strikers will get. Then in January we need to be strengthening the quality of centre midfielders we have.

If RDM can get this formation correct this weekend and we get a win then we need to continue with it and we will be fine. If he carries on chopping and changing then we are going to struggle until January comes around, by which time we are out of the promotion race.

13 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

That's a very cynical, black and white look at it. It wasn't said as some sort of magic galvanizing rhetoric that is meant to guide us into the top 6. It was an offhand remark to a reporter and I'd rather he be staying optimistic than defeatist about it. And if he did say something defeatist, he probably would have gotten stick too. He just can't win (pun intended).

34 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

I'm sure the only missing ingredient for the squad this season has been whether the manager thinks they will finish in the top 6. 

If anyone needs me this morning, you can find me reading the last rites to this mortally wounded straw man. 

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Does Dr Tony saying he won't be around much until the end of October mean we are stuck with this feeble manager until then ?  - Thats what I think will happen 

I think Tony still rates RDM and wants to give him more time. And I think end of October (which he used his business commitment as a reason, but I think he is buying RDM sometime) is when he will pull the trigger if RDM does not deliver.  

If he comes to VP every week to watch the game, then another draw will have to force him to make the decision that he doesn't want.

Â