Roberto Di Matteo

Sam3773

The problem in the last few seasons has been that our players were not of a high enough quality for the league they were in, especially last season...

This season is different, we have some of the best players in the league. RDM needs to get his tactics right to get us winning games again. For me its blindingly obvious that our midfield is too weak, the best way to fix this is add an extra man in there to sure it up.

4-3-3 using inside forwards or wingers in Grealish/Adomah/McCormack/Ayew. 3 in midfield in Westwood, Jedinak & Tshibola.

I just don't understand how he can't see this

Edited by wilko154
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, KSV said:

I think the attacking formation works. We got to 5 games in the lead. Once we get in the lead.. keep it the same until it gets to a stage where the opposition gets on top or the last 15 minutes. Bring on Baker.. take off Grealish. Go five at the back. Chew up time with some fake injuries to ruin their momentum and frustrate them. Use another sub.. take off Ayew for Westwood. 5-4-1 for the last ten minutes and close the game. He did neither. He took off our best midfielder.. and brought on a striker. 

He's done this practically on each of the 5 late goals that have cost us. He doesn't learn. People want him to stay? Like the good Dr said.. one time.. learn from it.. two times...... Well what about 5 times? Time to Go.

I agree about the attacking formation and keeping it the same until (unless) the opposition gets on top.  But I think the reason we concede later or after going into the lead is down to the midfield dropping so deep and being so light.  If we must go defensive go 4-5-1 with Westward, Tish, Jedi and Gardner in there.  Pack the middle and hold our line higher up the pitch so they have to come through us higher up.  If we drop deep balls keep coming into our box and all it takes is one fluke bounce and we're done - even with 5 defenders.

I'd be a lot more patient if I could see what he was trying to do. Sadly, after 10 games, I can't. 

I'm a big believer in law of averages and patterns in this sport.

For instance...... West ham moving to a new stadium..... It rarely works out well to begin with.

I won a fortune betting against manure when LVG first took over. 25 on Swansea at 8/1 first game for example.

The pattern I look at here has a number of branches.....

RDM ability to turn it round when things get tough.

Any previous Aston villa manager's ability to turn it round when things get tough.

Any Aston villa teams ability to do what Leicester did and put an unbelievable run together to get us out the mire....... granted that's not necessarily improved chance wise with a new manager.

Following on from that...

Aston villas ability to hire the right man.

I think we're in a bit of a vicious circle and I don't really know what the answer is. New owner, new manager, new players. Nothing has changed. 

However, I'd be more comfortable seeing some sort of plan whether it worked/didn't work.

All I see is a twitter ranting owner slagging off underperforming players who once again look completely lost when it comes to performing the very basics of football, under the guidance of a manager who himself looks equally lost.

Edited by Woodytom

10 minutes ago, Paul33 said:

Xia should come out and guarantee RDM will be here for the next two seasons no matter what happens. That will kill off all this damaging speculation and leave manager, coaches, players and fans to knuckle down and make this work.

The club has a new owner, new board, new manager, new assistant manager, new coach, new captain, nine new players and it is going to take time. I said in the Summer that it will take until Christmas for us to start moving through the gears. Until then, mistakes will be made and learning from those mistakes will happen.

The last thing this club needs is the turmoil arising from yet another new manager and coaching team !

Xia would be very brave to do that. £75m purchase price + £60m - entrusted to man who seems to go around clubs being sacked less than every 12 months. Whilst managers with a fraction of that budget sit handily placed in the table. You watch Derby move up the table when the appoint a new manager - I bet he won't be asking for 6 months before he starts winning games.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

I agree about the attacking formation and keeping it the same until (unless) the opposition gets on top.  But I think the reason we concede later or after going into the lead is down to the midfield dropping so deep and being so light.  If we must go defensive go 4-5-1 with Westward, Tish, Jedi and Gardner in there.  Pack the middle and hold our line higher up the pitch so they have to come through us higher up.  If we drop deep balls keep coming into our box and all it takes is one fluke bounce and we're done - even with 5 defenders.

Well.. its worth a try. We had a 0-0 draw against Ipswich with a 541 or whatever negative formation he had that day. Just for the last 10 minutes.. try it and close the game out. He just appeared to do nothing. Taking off a midfielder for a midfielder.. what does that achieve? especially when the one you took off was the better midfielder? Bringing on another striker.......? i get it but only if you do other tweaks.. and he didnt. Just like for like swaps and kept the same system. Id rather he brought on Baker upfront and let him at least harass their defenders. We sat back and let them come at us.. if thats the tactic.. what use is Gestede?

37 minutes ago, Paul33 said:

The last thing this club needs is the turmoil arising from yet another new manager and coaching team !

The last thing this club needed was a poor start to the season. On the back of the crap of the last half dozen years we needed a good start to this one. A real fresh start. The owner played his part by backing the manager massively. The fans have played their part rocking up to Villa Park and away from home in big numbers. A good start and there was a wave that could have been ridden. In fact even a decent start could have done that.

What we have seen though is a diabolical start. That is what one win in 10 league games is and the added indignity of losing to league two opposition. I think even on the back of that though if you could see improvement, see that the manager had a definite plan to get the best out of the squad he expensively assembled then I think most would be willing to give him time. We have seen none of that though instead we see a chopping and changing of formation from game to game and we have seen us go from playing on the front foot in a positive manner to sitting deep, on the back foot negative crap.

I think Xia made a mistake in appointing RDM. It happens. That mistake gets exacerbated though by not acting quickly to correct it. The potential turmoil caused by it certainly won’t see a downturn in results. Quite frankly it can’t.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, leighavfc said:

Probably, im not routing for Di Matteo here but i just think that for the late goals part of our problem, its more the player fault then the manager. But then its more so the managers fault that we are not dominating and killing games off due to tactics, motivation, concentration or whatever. Double edged sword when we are losing points the way we are. He wont be after saturday IMHO

screen-shot-2014-11-14-at-172237.png

• Like 2

This is not a knock on anyone but you really have to be watching the game to get a feel for the flow. It was obvious to everyone there that from about 75 minutes our only real ambition was to see the game out and maybe nick one on the break. 

We changed mentality on the pitch, but the formation and the personnel stayed basically the same and he left them to drown. We were gagging for fresh legs up front, Gestede came on way too late and was left isolated, so anything he did win was going to nobody. Grealish could barely stand never mind run. He could have left Tish on who yes looked tired, but was still combative. Gone to three in the middle. Or two up front, make the ball stick. Or just McCormack for Grealish.

Gestede came in for Adomah yes, but it just meant Kodjia went to the wing. 

He did nothing of note. It was Di Matteo's fault, no question about it. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 4

22% of the season completed.

By now, i would expect the manager to have sorted out his played philosophy, his playing style, his best formation, his first 11... and then to just be tweaking with subs and players as the match/opponents required.

3 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

You really want him to prove it 5 more times that he's not up to it?

thats 15pts on the line, he's cost us 10pts already.

Even 10 from 15pts would mean he would have 15pts or so to catch up on by then. That's 5 wins to 5 defeats by the top 6 candidates and equaling their pts total till we catch them.

Its a 46 game season a long way to go yet RDM been key down by his players performances have been good not taking our chances and individual errors costing us not all RDM fault .

2 minutes ago, BigAl said:

Its a 46 game season a long way to go yet RDM been key down by his players performances have been good not taking our chances and individual errors costing us not all RDM fault .

22% of the season finished, 12 points behind Hudderfield, 7 points behind Bham City, and the gap increasing with every game.

But more importantly, tactics, formation, mentality and subs from the manager are not there. 

• Like 1

Â