Roberto Di Matteo

Sam3773

Think the newspaper reports are a load of made up nonsense.

Dr Tony knows it was a big job, I imagine RDM will get 20 games to prove himself, even if bottom after 20 games, we could still get s play off place, nothing to stress about JUST yet.

I really don't believe Steve Bruce is any kind of answer, one thing I've learned from Villa over recent years. Is that unless you have a new manager lined up for is a significant step up. (And I don't think we're in a place where we could get that kind of manager in) As long as your not a complete shambles week in week out, what is the point of changing an average manager for an average manager.

• Like 3

I dont mind Bruce.. until he gets us promoted and then do a Southampton. 

However.. at the moment.. we arent playing badly.. we have beeen a bit unlucky and the spirit seems good enough. Now if we lose against Preston and Barnsley.. all that could change. 

I just dont like us chopping and changing.. especially since RDM picked out his team.. do we lose the goal keeping coach assistant etc etc as well? Not ideal.. 

I just hope RDM can turn it around.. 6 points this week and all that sacking talk will be gone. Its that simple. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, KSV said:

But if he can't get a few wins in the next two games.. something is seriously wrong. New team yes.. but even New teams with great players can get results. 

He has to get 6 points from the next two games to save his job IMO.

• Like 1

Good Blog here from avillafan....pretty much hits the nail on the head for me.

A solitary win in nine games represents a highly frustrating start to life in the Championship for the Villans. It’s fair to say that the majority of supporters didn’t expect us to be languishing in seventeenth position as the end of the first quarter of the season fast approaches. Roberto Di Matteo is already facing calls for his head and, if rumours are to be believed, chairman Dr Tony Xia has already had words with the Italian regarding some less than impressive results.

With an outlay of around £55 million this summer, expectations are obviously high. At the moment, we are falling short of matching those pre-season hopes yet the original proposals outlined when Xia took over included a two-year plan to obtain promotion. So why is Di Matteo under pressure already after just nine games? What exactly is our true target this season?

Automatic promotion was always going to be a big ask. Whilst it is still fairly early in the season, we are currently ten points adrift of the two automatic promotion spots. Even with thirty-seven games left, it will take a huge effort and drastic change in form to overturn that deficit. For me, that ship has probably already sailed, purely because I find it difficult to see so many other teams faltering, combined with us having a few sustained runs of winning six or seven games consistently. We haven’t generated the momentum. So that leaves a run at the play-offs as our only chance of gaining promotion. Right now, we are a deceptively significant seven points from sixth place. These figures just go to show how ridiculous the Championship table is. If we feel the play-offs are still achievable, being seven points away, then can we really write off automatic promotion, which is just an extra three points further off? As a side note to illustrate how tight the table is, third and eleventh place are separated by a mere three points at present.

Xia’s ambition and substantial summer investment may have clouded the original manifesto of promotion within two years. Despite the slow start, Di Matteo should not be facing the sack. What does the two-year plan mean to Xia? Are there certain requirements? If there is a two-year plan for promotion then surely sacking Di Matteo at this stage, or really even any time soon, makes a mockery of that. There has been a lot of criticism surrounding Di Matteo’s tactics in the last few weeks but, generally, I don’t think this is the problem we have. Saturday evening’s draw against Newcastle United showed that we need to play a back four rather than three centre backs. The difference between the first half and the second half was stark. I don’t think there is anything wrong with trying out a new formation, especially when trying to improve results. If anything, Di Matteo deserves credit for not being stubborn after the poor first half and for reverting to a more familiar style. Plenty of other mangers would have stuck to their guns no matter what.

Chances are being created. If the goal frame was an inch wider and taller, we’d be sitting very near to the top of the table right now. The woodwork has not been our friend over the last few weeks. On top of this, we have been created so many chances which simply have not been taken, which indicates that the real problem here is that the players who are spurning these chances need to be more clinical in front of goal. Di Matteo is deploying a system which is clearly creating enough. Similarly, at the back, the players must take responsibility for the sloppy mistakes that are being made and that have cost us crucial goals.

It is understandable that supporters demand better. We are better than our sum of nine points. However, with a two-year plan in place, what will be deemed acceptable for Di Matteo to keep his job? A certain level of progress needs to be shown, of course. Right now there seems to be a clamour and a feeling that we absolutely must gain promotion this season. It is adding unnecessary pressure. If we do, that’s great. If not, we’ll only be better equipped to do so next season.

Finding a balance is important. Di Matteo needs results to improve and we need to be competitive. This club also needs stability and, for me, that means sticking with the manager even if we don’t make the play-offs come May. The trend to turn on the manager so quickly in football in general is something that baffles me. It’s all very well to react and blame the manager. There is often little thought as to who would be the replacement. I for one would be absolutely horrified to find that Steve Bruce had become the manager of Aston Villa Football Club.

Of course, if results do not improve and we continue to languish around the relegation places into the second half of the season, action should be taken. We are better than that. I’m not saying that we should tolerate a poor season. The key is finding the balance. If our season ultimately shows promise yet we finish eighth or ninth, for example, I don’t see this as a reason to switch the manager. An unnecessary sacking must be avoided.

I don’t see results diminishing, as there are certainly more positives in our play than negatives. We need to turn this corner quickly though. The good thing about this division is that the chance to rectify problems comes round quickly due to many mid-week fixtures – and another opportunity presents itself this evening at Oakwell as we visit free scoring Barnsley.

The reality is that it is far too early to be panicking at this stage of the season, especially when a couple of wins will see a dramatic improvement in our position in the Championship table. I think that Di Matteo is doing a decent, if so far unspectacular, job. One or two strange team selections aside, for me it is the players who are letting him down rather than his poor management.

Promotion would be great at the first attempt but we are not entitled to that honour and there are some good teams in this division. It remains to be seen if this is a transitional year for us, with a rebuild after the nightmare that was last season. The original remit was promotion in two years. We’re barely into the first one.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Thanks for that.

I disagree with the analysis where a 2-year promotion plan is mentioned. 

Its a 1 year automatic promotion plan from Xia (the 2 years was only mentioned by RDM to take pressure off).

45 minutes ago, Nigel said:

45 minutes ago, Nigel said:

The post is well written granted but a couple of wobblers in there for me.

• No Steve Bruce?, firstly we have a manager, but if we didn't Donald Trump could do it for me as long as we had good performances/results from him.
  • Secondly I see basic things in this team that concerns me greatly and I would think they are a priority/paramount to achieving any kind of results.
  • All teams have periods highs & Lows in a game......our lows are far too low for comfort IMO...we have trouble staying in a game during our lows
Edited by TRO

Â