Roberto Di Matteo

Sam3773

Just now, Zatman said:

we have had 4 shit managers in the last 2 years and he was the only one that made watching Villa enjoyable to watch not to mention a superior win record

The start of our relegation came from him, his ego and his ability to split the dressing room. A little honeymoon period at the beginning shouldn't cover up what an awful manager he was.

RDM over Sherwood ANY day.

• Like 4

Just now, DK82 said:

The start of our relegation came from him, his ego and his ability to split the dressing room. A little honeymoon period at the beginning shouldn't cover up what an awful manager he was.

RDM over Sherwood ANY day.

we were down before he took over, he just delayed the inevitable :(

3 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

See I don't really accept that.

He had a huge amount of resources this summer, he had an opportunity to rip up the side and build it as he wished.

But right now he is fumbling around trying to find a way to use the players he signed, because frankly it doesn't look like he had a real plan in mind when he signed them.

If he had signed players to fit a structure and way of playing and it was simply taking them time to gel I'd be more willing to give him time but that clearly isn't what is happening

I do agree with this. I think we've bought in the wrong areas (too many strikers!) not enough ammunition. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Woodytom said:

It was about 10-15 minutes. We didn't do anything until jedinak header. Then ayew hit the post. Then it was another 10 mins of dross then we battered them.

Depends on how you look at it tbh?

For me, I'm questioning for the billionth time this century, why it takes 75-80 minutes for us to look remotely interested.

10 minutes of dross in between? I don't recall that all unless you was rewatching the first half :P

the way I look at it I was more happy that we had the mental strength to get back into it. Far better than seeing our players bow their heads and accept defeat when we go behind. I think things are going to turn for the better very soon. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Where we are disagreeing is that I think he had a plan, I was enjoying watching said plan unfold. I thought we were very unlucky, unusually so, to not have a couple more wins under our belt. I was convinced that we were about to blow somebody away and start rolling.

My annoyance stems from him ripping that up following one poor performance. 

I felt this way also- and still do, I honestly feel it's just a matter of time. Let's be clear we still have a number of players whose villa careers are still in their infancy. I believe this team is stil another half dozen games away from sorting the wheat from the chaff- and us beginning to see the best of what they can do, players need time to get to know each other consciously and sub consciously - now whether this will be acceptable in the corridor of power who know, or even in  the majority of fans minds  I guess we will have to wait and see. 

• Like 3

See I don't really accept that.

He had a huge amount of resources this summer, he had an opportunity to rip up the side and build it as he wished.

But right now he is fumbling around trying to find a way to use the players he signed, because frankly it doesn't look like he had a real plan in mind when he signed them.

If he had signed players to fit a structure and way of playing and it was simply taking them time to gel I'd be more willing to give him time but that clearly isn't what is happening

Perfectly sums it up. Buy all the players and then hope you can find a system to play them in by trial and error. I think we'll end up leaving it too long to sack him and then we'll have to complete the squad rebuild next summer probably spending another £40m odd. Dr X. won't be happy. 

• Like 2

Yes that is where we disagree. I don't think he had a plan to accommodate the players he signed with those he inherited that he wanted to retain.

For me he just tried to stuff them all in, pack the side with lots of attacking talent and try and blow sides away. That's why I've likened it to Keegan.

I guess you could call that a plan, personally I don't. 

We've been exposed and short of numbers in midfield since the start of the season and it's been evident in most if not all games.

You simple can't just pack a team full of attacking players at the expense of a balance to the side and hope they click.

For me he needs to decide which players he picks and which he drops and face the fact that some of those he drops might just be ones he has paid a lot of money for.

But so far he hasn't been brave enough to do that and he has tried every approach you can imagine to try and fit them in. That hasn't helped the players and it's not helped the fans understand what he is trying to do.

What we agree on is the post Forest implications of losing that 2-1 win and the negative impact it has had on him and his approach to games. 

I can empathise with all those points.....but because I am anxious for a manager of sorts to find his feet, I am hoping you are wrong( says my heart)

my head says you make some feasible references and are more likely to be right.

4 hours ago, AshVilla said:

The similarities between him and Sherwood are there and its worrying.

I actually think Sherwood would be doing better with this squad of players 

• Like 2

Overall results haven't been good enough. Performances about 50/50, but we have shown signs that we are capable. 

He's fighting for his job, naturally. However I'm quite surprised, even if it is standard, that opinions on the whole appear to be so unbalanced and mostly in a negative sense. 

It's up to him now. I'll personally never write a man off until he's written himself off, ala Sherwood. 

• Like 1

I think the big thing for me is that overall there has been very little if any improvement from the 'basics' point of view.

PPl can reference new team this and new team that all they want but other 'new' teams cope. Not only that but spending 60m in the championship and failing to have any sort of plan is beyond unforgiveable. 

I honestly believe (and I said this in the summer). A solid defence with 2 wingers pumping balls into gestede and we will get out of this league. Why oh why it looks so difficult is beyond me. BASICS.

• Like 2

I have become slightly anti RDM but if I'm being honest it's because I'm being a bit of a spoilt kid type fan. I'm desperate for improvement so my anger probably comes more from frustration than genuinely thinking he's no good. 

The signs have been there, we really should be in that top 6 right now. I worry that the forest equaliser has effected him too much. 

We really need back to back wins. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, KHV said:

I actually think Sherwood would be doing better with this squad of players 

Maybe...thats his forte though, building up players confidence. However long term he wasnt and isnt the right man.

He only has the one tactic and if that doesnt work throw another striker on.

Could you see him making the changes needed yesterday, if he was in that position?

RDM is the better manager IMO

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

we have had 4 shit managers in the last 2 years and he was the only one that made watching Villa enjoyable to watch not to mention a superior win record

It amazes me that you think McLeish, Garde, Lambert etc are all shit yet Sherwood somehow isn't.

• Like 3

I don't understand why people keep saying that RDM bought too many strikers this summer. He bought two in: Kodjia and McCormack. We already had the following:

Gabby = Overweight and not interested

Kozak = Not looking fit and seems like he runs in treacle. 

Gestede = Out of sorts last season and didn't look too clever at the start of this season, bar a double in one game. 

Ayew = Is he a striker? Nobody seems to know his best position. Certainly doesn't look prolific enough to be a striker. 

Hepburn-Murphy = Still young, lightweight and raw. 

I think that you can rule Gabby and Kozak out so that left us with a player who was out of sorts, another who didn't seem prolific enough to be a striker and a youngster who is lightweight and inexperienced. 

I think that RDM was spot on in bringing in two new strikers and what players they are too! 

Edited by villarocker
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Mantis said:

It amazes me that you think McLeish, Garde, Lambert etc are all shit yet Sherwood somehow isn't.

Sherwood turned out to be very shit. But for a very brief period it was fun. More fun than it had been in years. 

• Like 2

Â