Roberto Di Matteo

Sam3773

2 hours ago, BOF said:

Can't speak for Chelsea and West Brom but he was dreadfully negative at Schalke and their fans still use his name pejoratively to describe negative tactics.  So yeah ... not fondly remembered.

On the flip side, got West Brom promoted and Chelsea to win the CL so fondly remembered.

People have said they don't rate him - that's fine - but what's it based on?  A 6th place Bundesliga finish or have people actually witnessed what he does and thought "don't like the way he uses 5-4-1 so much to be honest" etc?  I'm curious.  I know nothing about RDM as a manager apart from where he's finished and I'm not writing him off after so few matches knowing so little about him.

• Like 2

Against Newcastle we will finally not be playing a team who hasn't played a team as big as villa. Also there will be less pressure. Every team seems to be up for it because we are Aston Villa. Even though the Newcastle fans have this rivalry thing going with us at the moment.. I don't think it translates to their players. Very winnable and wouldn't be a shock to beat them. 

I think that the Newcastle game is the most important game we've played so far, simply because it's against a side that we came down with and will arguably be the best set of players that we've come up against so far this season. 

A win could be huge for Di Matteo as it would (should) give the players a massive confidence boost but, a loss could really be bad for the group especially if it's a big defeat. I'd imagine that, after a shaky start, Di Matteo will set up the team in a manner that suggests he's putting more emphasis on not losing rather than going all out for a win. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, villarocker said:

I'd imagine that, after a shaky start, Di Matteo will set up the team in a manner that suggests he's putting more emphasis on not losing rather than going all out for a win. 

You may well be right but I don’t think he will be doing us as a team, or himself in terms of being shown some grace from supporters, any favours if he does. The squad he has moulded is very attack heavy so he needs to set us up in that manner. As he did up until the last couple of games.

I don’t think supporters will accept after one win in eight games setting up defensive at home, or not to lose at home, against any side. Not at this level and not after spending the best part of 60 mill most of which went on attacking players. To do so and fail to secure another win would just heap pressure on him but more importantly leave us still in the lower reaches of the table.

This game to me offers a huge opportunity to kick start our season. We need to grab it with both hands and go all out for the win.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

This will get ugly very quickly if we take a humping.

Rightly so imo.

I see Hughes is under pressure at Stoke and favourite to be sacked first. I honestly think that is a nonsense because he has earned the right to a bad spell. He's done his time there, got them up the league and improved the quality of their football. In stark contrast to RDM who we owe nothing to, if the poor results continue we are well within our rights to get rid.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Rightly so imo.

I see Hughes is under pressure at Stoke and favourite to be sacked first. I honestly think that is a nonsense because he has earned the right to a bad spell. He's done his time there, got them up the league and improved the quality of their football. In stark contrast to RDM who we owe nothing to, if the poor results continue we are well within our rights to get rid.

Really depends if Xia wants to acknowledge his mistake - or still thinks RDM will come good.

Im bored, so i decided to try a little experiment. I fliped a coin 8 times in a row. Heads was a 'win' and gave us 3 points. Tails was a 'loss' and gave us no points. I did this 10 times and recorded the results.

The lowest number of points from those 8 'games' across 10 'seasons' was 6 (we'll call them team A). The highest was 21 (team B).

Are the team A fans right to think that the manager is rubbish because of their poor start, or that it's because he's had no experience overhauling a squad? Is it because of their lack of midfield that they're down the bottom of the table? Or the owners tweets putting too much pressure on the players?

Are the team B fans right to sing their new owners' praises from the rooftops? Joyous in the fact he's spent more than any other club in the league on the best players? Is it because of a Champions League winning manager that they're flying high? Or his well respected assistant? Are they right to believe they may be back in Europe soon enough?

At the end of their respective seasons, both teams finished within 10 points of each other.

Moral of the story? 8 games is nowhere near enough to draw any conclusions either way about the manager.

On 22 September 2016 at 12:35, Woodytom said:

Also, altho winning 2 games will put us in a better position it won't change much long term because our inability to string any sort of winning streak together is mind blowing. 2 wins would be very welcome but I don't think for one minute the next 2 after would also be wins.

It dosen't have to be 2 wins straight after that though does it....you don't have to win every single game in this league to get promoted (although way we've started it won't be far off that if we continue...)

To really kick start we need to regularly do stuff like 8 points from every 4 games...that would soon get us in the top 6 no problem. Draw tomorrow, draw at Barnsley and then win at Preston and beat Wolves would do me. And then repeat that over the next 4...Reading, Cardiff, SHA and Blackburn.

Are we capable of that? We bloody well should be with the money we've spent and the quality we have in the team.

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

...he also had 8 losses from those 10 games.

We were facing much better teams and players to counter that....

Bottom line is Dr Tony's patience isn't going to run forward. RDM needs to pull his finger out fast and start winning us some games. To have won as many games so far as in our car crash season this time last year simply isn't good enough.

• Like 4

Hello, first proper post. Figured here's as good a place as any (I have introduced myself in the welcome thread)

The only thing that worries me is looking across and seeing inaction in the dugout, it just brings back too many horrid memories. I'll never forget seeing Wilkins sat there almost looking on with bemused joy at the 11 headless chickens during some of our games last season, sat there thinking what an easy pay check.

If RDM isnt the sort to show a lot of passion in the technical area, some one needs to be. I just don't see any passion from the dugout, how can there not be, I watch my sons under 11's and nearly pass out from the adrenaline rush. I just don't get how you can profess to care and not even show it....a bit..... and I'm very disappointed in Steve C for this.

Maybe I'm the geezer that's been cheated on too many times and I'm looking for the next lie, but something isn't right in that dug out.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, perchman said:

Hello, first proper post. Figured here's as good a place as any (I have introduced myself in the welcome thread)

The only thing that worries me is looking across and seeing inaction in the dugout, it just brings back too many horrid memories. I'll never forget seeing Wilkins sat there almost looking on with bemused joy at the 11 headless chickens during some of our games last season, sat there thinking what an easy pay check.

If RDM isnt the sort to show a lot of passion in the technical area, some one needs to be. I just don't see any passion from the dugout, how can there not be, I watch my sons under 11's and nearly pass out from the adrenaline rush. I just don't get how you can profess to care and not even show it....a bit..... and I'm very disappointed in Steve C for this.

Maybe I'm the geezer that's been cheated on too many times and I'm looking for the next lie, but something isn't right in that dug out.

look at McCarthy last week and more than likely Benitez today, they will be on the edge of technical area encouraging the players or changing tactics

• Like 1

Â