Other Football Transfer Talk Summer 2016

Genie

I dunno, I don't think he is the way arsenal play but at the same time I think playing him might make teams adapt to arsenal freeing up space for their better players, play a high line and vardy benefits, play a deep line and in theory their attacking midfielders benefit

I would say without the ball him and Sanchez would be a nightmare, they could press really high up the pitch

This whole argument of not how arsenal play, arsenal always fall short...they need something different, don't know if vardy is the answer

his attitude after getting his big move is the other interesting thing, 29, playing for England, league winner, on £100k a week...if arsenal starts tough and isn't working, how does he react?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I dunno, I don't think he is the way arsenal play but at the same time I think playing him might make teams adapt to arsenal freeing up space for their better players, play a high line and vardy benefits, play a deep line and in theory their attacking midfielders benefit

I would say without the ball him and Sanchez would be a nightmare, they could press really high up the pitch

This whole argument of not how arsenal play, arsenal always fall short...they need something different, don't know if vardy is the answer

his attitude after getting his big move is the other interesting thing, 29, playing for England, league winner, on £100k a week...if arsenal starts tough and isn't working, how does he react?

Was going to post exactly the same thing. 

2 hours ago, StanBalaban said:

It certainly is a risk, but I think with the amount of money in the PL, the risk is mitigated somewhat for a club like Arsenal.

If they have triggered a release clause, it will be interesting to see if any other clubs try to compete for his signature. Can see Everton with their newly-found riches taking a punt.  

Apparently the release cause is only for champions league teams

You know you're judging managers way to fast when someone can go from "awful manager couldn't even beat a bunch of plumbers with Greece " to "managing arsenal next year" in one season. Will be fun to see how much it falls when he doesn't have 3 players turning into world class (form) players over night and staying fit the whole season. (Maybe LcFc will win the transfer market again though. So who knows)

Edited by gharperr
I know you werent serious VC lol. Just general comment

13 hours ago, krisagg75 said:

why is wenger changing his philosophy though.doesn't he have something about 1 year contracts for over 30's.vardy would want at least 4 you would think.

..because his 'philosophy' isn't delivering. 

I actually don't see this signing as too out of the ordinary for Wenger. He doesn't want to go and sign a world class striker for £40m + (e.g. someone like Benzema or Lewandowski). Vardy, for someone relatively 'proven' in the Premier League, is available on the cheap (so the key thing here is the value). Plus he's a physically fit guy without the miles on the clock on other his age, so he potentially has another 3-4 years left at this level. 

Where the signing doesn't make a huge amount of sense is that Vardy is best played direct and off the shoulder. Arsenal do not play like this, they take far too many touches, by which time Vardy will have ran offside. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, krisagg75 said:

why is wenger changing his philosophy though.doesn'thave something about 1 year contracts for over 30's.vardy would want at least 4 you would think.

in win now mode, though Zlatan on 1 year deal be better value than Vardy over 4

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ferguson1 said:

Crystal Palace eyeing up Iorfa and Hause at Wolves.  Really hope we look at these type of signings.  Young hungry players wanting to learn and improve.  C'mon RDM. 

Why would you pick Villa over palace?

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

in win now mode, though Zlatan on 1 year deal be better value than Vardy over 4

Zlatan won't turn up for away games though. Will be good in the comfortable environment of Old Trafford but can't see him doing much at Stoke when likes of Shawcross and Cameron are going through the back of him. Yes on a cold and wet Tuesday night. 

7 hours ago, PaulC said:

Yes Ranieri's stock has increased massively, however he is a similar age to Wenger and wouldn't be a long-term manager. Depends what they want really!

I don't think long term managers are a thing anymore. Wenger and Fergie are the last of the previous vintage. So if Wenger goes, and Ranieri thinks he can do another four years, then I'm sure they would go for him, if they wanted. His age would not be a big factor in their choice.

I don't think Wenger will walk next summer, and I also think that Ranieri's last big job is at Leicester and he won't have another big move again. He might fail at another top level European side, but his next longer term job I reckon will be in one of those silly new football monied countries, if he doesn't retire.

Odd signing for me, people saying its swap for Walcott is also odd, when has Vardy ever played wide right?

He'll get goals because they create so many chances but I struggle to see how he's the answer to their problems at the highest level. They need someone to play off and Vardy ain't that.

I suspect he is a plan B (which they've needed for years) and they will still spend big on someone else like Morata. Obviously Wenger didn't enjoy the booing and is trying to make up by spending a sizeable amount this summer.

23 hours ago, 007√ said:

Arsenal fans not to happy about this rumor supposedly... Viewed their forums and a lot of them are saying he is a one season wonder and doesn't fit their style of buildup play. 2014-2015 season he only scored 8 goals and this past season was his only good season, they have a point... They clearly want Morata.

Yet the Arsenal fans want Morata ,who has never been prolific

• Like 1