Other Football Transfer Talk Summer 2016

Genie

55 minutes ago, 007√ said:

Well I'm only reading direct quotes from Bayern legends so I would think your opinion doesn't mean s*** compared to theirs...

I can post every single article from their direct quotes and interviews if you would like, but then again you would still say its photo shopped or some crap like that...

£20 to VillaTalk if you can show me a quote from a Bayern Legend saying Guardiola "failed miserably".

• Like 1

Thing about him is at least pep will talk about it and accept it ( not failed "miserably" though) he knows himself he's judged on the CL and I think his main problem is that he's lost badly to very good teams, usually been out managed in the process

But winning 3 Bundesliga titles, they've become the first German team in history to win it 4 times on the trot, pretty much every Bundesliga record is now owned by bayern between 2012-2016

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

I see United are trying to buy Morata now. 

This is classic Mourinho, no? The only shining light in their season is two of the most promising young strikers in the country, but he's going to replace them for a guy who costs nearly £50m but doesn't actually score all that often and a superstar in his mid-30's who's clearly only joining for bucket list reasons. 

And he'll probably only play one of them at a time as well. 

is jorge mendez their agent though.

Guardiola failing at Bayern is subjective, winning 3 titles is OK but since Bayern was best and most exciting team in Europe when he took over and for me he made them a laughing stock in 2 Champions League semi finals and made them dull to watch. Bayern standards are a lot higher than 99% of teams in the world. best example for me is Ronny Deila won 2 Scottish league titles and Celtic fans are saying he was a failure

for me he has it all to prove in England

Winning 3 league titles with city in the next 3 years > winning a champions league with bayern imho

If he brings consistency to city and makes them what realistically they should be they'll win the league, I personally think they've got a great first team but shit squad for all that money spent

Disagree, it'll take him longer than his current contract to get them to win the CL, unless they get lucky with the draw and some decisions

I think they need consistency at home in order to give them that platform in Europe, at the moment I think if city went hell for leather for the CL then they'd have a season like this year where they didn't compete in the league

52 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Guardiola failing at Bayern is subjective, winning 3 titles is OK but since Bayern was best and most exciting team in Europe when he took over and for me he made them a laughing stock in 2 Champions League semi finals and made them dull to watch. Bayern standards are a lot higher than 99% of teams in the world. best example for me is Ronny Deila won 2 Scottish league titles and Celtic fans are saying he was a failure

for me he has it all to prove in England

Bingo. I've been slammed on here before, but I just don't see anything special in him at all. Luis Enrique has started his Barca career as good as Pep started is - this is a man who led Roma to their worst season in a decade and their 2nd most defeats in 30 years.

At Bayern he took over an all conquering team that had made 3 CL Finals in 4 years and embarrassed them in 2 straight SFs, conceding 10 goals.

I have a friend who is Pep mad. He doesn't seem to get the irony in his "Enrique is just using the foundations that Pep built" argument. It's almost as if Pep didn't take on a great Bayern side. Though at least Enrique is replicating what his predecessor did.

I fully expect Pep to be spending £100m every year, win the odd league title and people to act like he's done something impossible, again.

That's not to say I think he's a bad manager, he's not. But it's easy to have your mistakes covered by the superior quality in your team when you're managing a top 2 team in the World your entire career. I have much more time and respect for guys like Ferguson, Mourinho who've built their way up.

Ancelotti is another who's not as good as his reputation. But then I don't hold as much stock in completely sacrificing a title push every year and winning the odd CL. The very best managers can compete on both fronts IMO.

Edited by kurtsimonw
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Thing about him is at least pep will talk about it and accept it ( not failed "miserably" though) he knows himself he's judged on the CL and I think his main problem is that he's lost badly to very good teams, usually been out managed in the process

But winning 3 Bundesliga titles, they've become the first German team in history to win it 4 times on the trot, pretty much every Bundesliga record is now owned by bayern between 2012-2016

I'd say he underachieved.

There's a vast difference between that and failing miserably.

It's hyperbole for the sake of it.

And people have already started saying he needs to win the CL at City or he's failed there too. Why? Did Pellegrini and Mancini fail? They had similar budgets.

Failing to win the hardest club tournament on Earth is not failing.

• Like 2

I don't like Pep at all, I think I've made that clear multiple times but saying that he failed miserably is crazy. Winning the Champions League, even if you are Bayern Munich, is not a God given right.

When you get to the semi-finals, sometimes even the quarter finals, you are facing teams that can beat anyone over two legs on their day.

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Can someone explain to me why Morata is so highly rated? £47m for a striker who scored an amazing 7 league goals last season, and 8 the season before that seems outrageous. 

he seems to get big goals but not consistent enough and puts in a shift but not worth that price

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

And people have already started saying he needs to win the CL at City or he's failed there too. Why? Did Pellegrini and Mancini fail? They had similar budgets.

It's a bit different. Mancini took on a side that finished 10th the previous season, they really didn't have that many outstanding players. Pep is taking on a squad that probably cost half a billion and just reached the SFs of the Champions League. 

3 hours ago, sexbelowsound said:

When you get to the semi-finals, sometimes even the quarter finals, you are facing teams that can beat anyone over two legs on their day.

I agree with that, but it's the manner that makes the difference. This year wasn't terrible. But the 10 goals in the previous semi finals, it's not good enough when you yourself have one of the best teams in the World.

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Can someone explain to me why Morata is so highly rated? £47m for a striker who scored an amazing 7 league goals last season, and 8 the season before that seems outrageous. 

The fee is over the top, but he's a big game player and his goal scoring record when you actually consider how much he plays is good.

He set up 2 goals against Bayern in the CL this season, scored twice against Inter in the Cup semi final, then the winner in the final against Milan. Scored against City and Sevilla in the CL. (12 goals, 12 assists in 2377 minutes).

Last season in the CL he scored in both ties against Dortmund, both ties against Madrid and then in the final against Barca. (15 goals, 7 assists in 2302 minutes)

He basically scores or assists a goal every 100 minutes or so. It's not Messi/Ronaldo, but it's pretty damn good. It'd possibly be better if he were allowed some kind of consistent playing time.

Edited by kurtsimonw
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, kurtsimonw said:

I agree with that, but it's the manner that makes the difference. This year wasn't terrible. But the 10 goals in the previous semi finals, it's not good enough when you yourself have one of the best teams in the World.

But does that constitute to failing miserably? I know it wasn't you that said he did but my point was that 3 semi finals, no matter what the level of defeat, is not failing miserably in my eyes.

Just now, sexbelowsound said:

But does that constitute to failing miserably? I know it wasn't you that said he did but my point was that 3 semi finals, no matter what the level of defeat, is not failing miserably in my eyes.

I think failing miserably is a little over the top. But with that said, in his first two seasons his KO opponents were Arsenal, United managed by Moyes, Shakhtar and Porto. Failing miserably would probably be being knocked out by one of those. Getting through those would be absolute minimum expected IMO, so to get through them and get battered by Madrid/Barca would be a very disappointing CL campaign.

A disappointing CL campaign does not equal "Failing miserably"

I don't think anyone is arguing Pep did exceptionally well at Bayern.

But to say he failed miserably, or even to say eh failed, is bollocks.

LIke I said, it's just people exaggerating because it's cool to hate Guardiola.