Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

2 hours ago, Stephen_Evans said:

Phase 1 gets us to 50,000 I think.  If my memory is failing, blame my two young children for making sleep such a luxury!

You have my sympathies and understanding. If you’d have quoted a figure of 100k it would have been understandable, given your circumstances. 😅

Edited by DaveAV1
  • Haha 1

My gut feeling is 50 thousand ish is about our level. The only teams who average  a lot more than that are Man U (still the biggest support in the country) Arsenal, West Ham,  and Spurs (well supported plus London clubs), Celtic , and Liverpool. We should about the same level as Everton when they get their new stadium,  and Newcastle.

If we ever became a genuine title contending side I could possibly see 60 thousand but there is a very large if.

Edited by The Fun Factory

43 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

My gut feeling is 50 thousand ish is about our level. The only teams who average  a lot more than that are Man U (still the biggest support in the country) Arsenal, West Ham,  and Spurs (well supported plus London clubs), Celtic , and Liverpool. We should about the same level as Everton when they get their new stadium,  and Newcastle.

If we ever became a genuine title contending side I could possibly see 60 thousand but there is a very large if.

We have a bigger fanbase than West Ham and always have. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I don't know.   If we start playing in Europe and become fashionable, then 60k attendance would be possible. 

We currently have 30,000 season tickets with a capacity of 42,000. We have 25,000 on the waiting list for a season ticket.

Lets say we have 42,000 season tickets (50% of the current waiting list), 10k single match tickets, 4k away fans, and of course a massive increase in corporate which currently sells out every single game.

Just now, Rugeley Villa said:

We have a bigger fanbase than West Ham and always have. 

Yeah but they are in a city of 8 million and in a area with a lot of housing growth. They have fairly cheap seats as they got a 60,000 stadium basically for free. If  they had to pay for a stadium from scratch it would have been 45-50,000 tops.

19 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Yeah but they are in a city of 8 million and in a area with a lot of housing growth. They have fairly cheap seats as they got a 60,000 stadium basically for free. If  they had to pay for a stadium from scratch it would have been 45-50,000 tops.

And most importantly they won the World Cup 😉

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

They also have to give a couple of thousand tickets per week away to the local council as part of their tenancy agreement which are then given to local schools and charities (with obviously no one on the council taking advantage of that...) which in fairness is probably great for the club long term

20 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

City of 8m people competing with

Arsenal
Tottenham
Chelsea
Fulham
Brentford
Crystal Palace
QPR
Milwall
Charlton
Leyton Orient
Wimbledon
Arguably Watford

At least 3 of those clubs are substantially bigger than West Ham.

We have a City of 1m people competing with a bunch of old tramps.

What’s the car parking situation like for match days now? I know the official site lists a couple of places but are they the best ones available? Can a space be booked when purchasing a match day ticket? 

2 hours ago, Tayls said:

What’s the car parking situation like for match days now? I know the official site lists a couple of places but are they the best ones available? Can a space be booked when purchasing a match day ticket? 

You used to be able to book a space in Holte End cp and North Stand cp but not sure what the current state is. In my experience the further away you are from VP the quicker it is to get back

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday's trip to Old Trafford confirmed for me that we really need to get The Trams down to Villa Park ASAP. 

So easy to transport a load of people to and from The ground. 

I know we have the trains but in tandem with Trams that can really shift people around. 

Hopefully Wes Edens with his new found expertise in Railway investment can bring some investment into The Metro maybe? 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Yesterday's trip to Old Trafford confirmed for me that we really need to get The Trams down to Villa Park ASAP. 

I know we have the trains but in tandem with Trams that can really shift people around. 

Hopefully Wes Edens with his new found expertise in Railway investment can bring some investment into The Metro maybe? 

I got back at 2.30am 😠

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 1

Just now, Follyfoot said:

I got back at 2.30am 😠

I got back as 12.15 😜

But then I had a car park space at a local school and managed to shoot straight out into the road system which was reasonably clear. 

• Like 1

Just now, sidcow said:

I got back as 12.15 😜

But then I had a car park space at a local school and managed to shoot straight out into the road system which was reasonably clear. 

Was only three minutes from the ground in the multi story so paid the price, that single file on the M6 didn’t help🤯🤦‍♂️

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

Definitely. I left just before the final whistle and was back in central Manchester in less than 25 minutes. You would double that at Villa.

Edited by The Fun Factory

On 11/11/2022 at 18:04, sidcow said:

The main challenge is that villa is a once in a fortnight venue, old Trafford justifies the investment on most days of the week. 

Its on the mayor's grand city plan or whatever its called for 2040, he wants VP as a stop on a tram that's off to somewhere else (not the airport, that's going past SHA I think)

And that's about right I think, you can't justify VP as being end of the line or having their own bespoke tram line but as part of linking up the city at large you can make an argument for it being worthwhile

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

The main challenge is that villa is a once in a fortnight venue, old Trafford justifies the investment on most days of the week. 

I'm pretty sure a lot of people live and work in Aston who need to move around? 

Also the line would naturally move on to Star City which is a pretty popular leisure destination. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I'm pretty sure a lot of people live and work in Aston who need to move around? 

Also the line would naturally move on to Star City which is a pretty popular leisure destination. 

From the plans I've seen I'm not sure it does, it went Aston, birches green, Minworth

But you're right about people in Aston moving around, the tram won't be for the purpose of getting people to VP on match days it will be for the purpose of relieving weekday traffic on the a38 at 8am and 6pm, villa would be a beneficiary and would no doubt have to lobby and contribute towards it having a station that suited them but the tram won't be theirs 

Â