Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

47 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Trams would be good, but for the short to medium term at least putting on more buses to the city centre should be looked into as a bare minimum.

Buses are knackered. They are still paying the same wages as like 10 years ago so haven't got any drivers 

Probably be early new year I would guess. 

In other news work on the new academy is progressing. I think the Birmingham Mail had some pictures of the construction. It's basically flattened earth and some breezeblocks but that is still pretty darn exciting.

Edited by The Fun Factory

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting that there's a new document been added on the planning portal that suggests that the statutory consultation period is over.

The club seem to have taken on board the minor points raised.

Does that mean it's ready to go in terms of being passed for planning permissions?

The document is here:

http://eplanning.idox.birmingham.gov.uk/publisher/docs/23F82ADC202285D09FA10CBE56BC7AF6/Document-23F82ADC202285D09FA10CBE56BC7AF6.pdf

And the portal with all of the planning information is here:

http://eplanning.idox.birmingham.gov.uk/publisher/mvc/listDocuments?identifier=Planning&reference=2022/06776/PA

• Thanks 3

12 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Interesting that there's a new document been added on the planning portal that suggests that the statutory consultation period is over.

The club seem to have taken on board the minor points raised.

Does that mean it's ready to go in terms of being passed for planning permissions?

The document is here:

http://eplanning.idox.birmingham.gov.uk/publisher/docs/23F82ADC202285D09FA10CBE56BC7AF6/Document-23F82ADC202285D09FA10CBE56BC7AF6.pdf

And the portal with all of the planning information is here:

http://eplanning.idox.birmingham.gov.uk/publisher/mvc/listDocuments?identifier=Planning&reference=2022/06776/PA

I believe that the application is likely to be on the agenda for the City Council's planning committee on 22 December, so we should know if permission is granted before Christmas.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, andycv said:

I believe that the application is likely to be on the agenda for the City Council's planning committee on 22 December, so we should know if permission is granted before Christmas.

That'd be a nice present.

We'd then get to see if the club would look to start next summer or put it back to the summer of '24 in order to accommodate the Pink concerts (they have the entirety of the current North Stand as their backstage area).

12 hours ago, andycv said:

Ho ho ho. 

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

That'd be a nice present.

We'd then get to see if the club would look to start next summer or put it back to the summer of '24 in order to accommodate the Pink concerts (they have the entirety of the current North Stand as their backstage area).

A lot of heavy prep work will obviously need to be undertaken in flattening levels etc. for the Villa Live building  before they’ll tear down the current north stand… I reckon it’ll start asap if/when planning is given, so some early works Winter with full works starting Summer/Autumn 2023 would be my guess. 

11 hours ago, thabucks said:

A lot of heavy prep work will obviously need to be undertaken in flattening levels etc. for the Villa Live building  before they’ll tear down the current north stand… I reckon it’ll start asap if/when planning is given, so some early works Winter with full works starting Summer/Autumn 2023 would be my guess. 

Wasn't t the plan to start work after the concerts with demolition of the North Stand to start in October? So a couple of months VP will have 4 stands and then be a building site for about 18 months.

1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

Wasn't t the plan to start work after the concerts with demolition of the North Stand to start in October? So a couple of months VP will have 4 stands and then be a building site for about 18 months.

We can get that St Andrews experience without getting nits 

• Haha 4

Just read through the application, looks like its all positive. It does seem that once the application has been approved its got to be done within 3 years - but I thinks that fairly normal for a planning application isnt it?

The report also mentions that the design is the 21st Century Holte End......I think I will stay in the Holte Upper though. Unless the New North Stand (should it be called the Ron Saunders Stand?) has heated leather seats and your own personal butler service as a minimum...

Overall a very positive recommendation for approval. A few comments-

The travel data is interesting- though we don't have 3pm k-o's anymore lol. Nearly 60% arrive by car which is far to high, and 3% for bus which is abysmal. The proposed bus service from Frederick Road will help get the majority of fans back to the city centre and beyond.

Didn't realise that the tramway depot is grade II listed. Aston is a historic place and should be proud of it.

The actual square meters of the Villa Live building is smaller than the current Villa Village and academy building, which shows the inefficient use of space at the moment. Villa must be losing some office space so not sure where some of the staff will move to- work from home?!

Where do the current away coaches park- is it over the witton road next to the tramway depot? I would like to see where the alternative would be. At present it is a short distance from the away section and the police may have a say on the matter if it ends up being 5-10 mins walk away

Says match day will try to route crowds away from Aston Hall. Hope that means that is not going to be closed for a walk around before kick off. The connection between the hall and the stadium is a long standing and historic one.

Overall it is looking promising and clearly the club has engaged with the council throughout the process. 

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

Â