Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

If you add together the attendances of both of our last two matches, it still doesn't amount to a full capacity. Yes, one of them was a cup game and the other on TV but I really don't think we need a bigger stadium. 

When we were in the Premier League we very rarely sold out and whenever we did it was because of the glory hunters that came to watch Liverpool or Man United.

With the problems we have on the pitch, I wouldn't be at all bothering to spend any time or resources on developing the ground. 

20 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Less than 30k vs forest, must be a bit concerning as we usually get over 30k.

It was the 4th home game in last two weeks and was on the box. Forest didn't sell out their allocation either. It was a very decent atmosphere though.

I think if we can win on Tuesday we'll be looking at over 30k against Bolton with it being a Saturday 3pm kick off. If we can then get into and stay in the top 6 pushing for automatic promotion every game will be 32k+ with a fair few over 35k and having to open the top of the Trinity.

For run of the mill league games when we're playing poorly (EFL) we'll always get around 25k

For run of the mill league games when we're playing well (Premier League) we'll get around 35k

Go on a run in the EFL and look like winning the Championship or gaining promotion and we'll be back at 35k

Go on a decent run in the Premier League and we'll hit 40k

Get up to Champions League and I could see us needing 55k.

But as it stands, unfortunately, our ground is too big for us. Even in the Premier League we don't really need any expansion. If Champions League football becomes a reality (even writing that seems ridiculous!) then that's the first instance of us really needing to look at any expansion. Occasional big games against Man Utd etc are no reason to spend millions on 10-20,000 more seats.

• Like 1

If they do anything it will not be simply plonking more seats into Villa Park. It would be a massive redevelopment of the whole area. There is a huge amount of land at the back of Villa which could be used for a lot of things.  There is no harm in having big plans- but we need to concentrate on some more wins and getting out of this division first. 

• Like 1

I don't know if this belongs in this topic, but it is a kind of development of VP.

An article on the OS says that we have been talking with the San Francisco 49ers about WiFi connectivity at VP, and will be exploring ways of collaborating in the future. So it may develop into a broader stadium and surrounding site development in future.

See bottom of the article

49ers touch down in UK

We were very pleased this week to welcome a delegation from American Football giants, San Francisco 49ers.

The 49ers are one of the most recognisable teams in the world of gridiron, having won five Super Bowl championships between 1981 and 1995, led by Hall of Famers Joe Montana and Jerry Rice.

This week’s touch down saw a visit from president Al Guido & consultant Shawn Doss as they met up with our chief executive Keith Wyness. 

Areas of discussion included best practice across a wide array of areas, including fan data and stadium Wi-Fi solutions.

Both clubs look set to explore areas for closer collaboration going-forward into the future. 

I heard recently that if Birmingham won the right to host the commonwealth games in 2022 then Villa Park could be used as a venue. 

Didn't think the commonwealth games did football so unsure what it would be used for? However i guess the funding would be welcome for any ground improvements. 

Edited by Kingman

3 minutes ago, Kingman said:

I heard recently that if Birmingham won the right to host the commonwealth games in 2022 then Villa Park could be used as a venue. 

Didn't think the commonwealth games did football so unsure what it would be used for? However i guess the funding would be welcome for any ground improvements. 

They have Rugby 7s in the Commonwealth games so would most likely be that.

I guess maybe Softball as well? Not sure how big those pitches are.

• Thanks 1

More seats aside the north stand is long overdue a redevelopment. It looks very tired and dated and its facilities are not as good as the rest of the ground.

Id also say that the Doug Ellis is also not far from needing a face lift if not more.

There are several areas around the the ground that would benefit from a sprucing up too!

23 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

They have Rugby 7s in the Commonwealth games so would most likely be that.

I guess maybe Softball as well? Not sure how big those pitches are.

Shame it wasn't held here in the early 90s under BFR, with the sandy pitches. It would have been ideal for beach volleyball :D.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, flashingqwerty said:

More seats aside the north stand is long overdue a redevelopment. It looks very tired and dated and its facilities are not as good as the rest of the ground.

Id also say that the Doug Ellis is also not far from needing a face lift if not more.

There are several areas around the the ground that would benefit from a sprucing up too!

I don't really pay much attention but I was looking at the back of the north stand last week as I walked past.

It's becoming an embarrassment now. A jet wash of the stone would at least be nice.

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

I don't really pay much attention but I was looking at the back of the north stand last week as I walked past.

It's becoming an embarrassment now. A jet wash of the stone would at least be nice.

The concrete face has been jet washed before. It soon looks dirty again so probably isn't worth the tens of thousands a contractor would charge for the scaffolding, risk assessments, etc etc.

On 03/10/2017 at 16:41, Junxs said:

Can't see Rugby 7s pulling in bigger crowds than a standard Villa match so why would there be a need to expand for the games?

Well yes I doubt Villa will hing their entire development over a couple of days rugby but if VP also hosted the opening ceremony like Celtic Park did for 2014 then who knows? Alexandra stadium is going to be max 40,000 for the games.

On 04/10/2017 at 16:44, rodders0223 said:

Really? It's still 4 times cleaner than I can recall for most of its life when it's been pretty much dark grey to Charcoal.  

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

Not VP related but this is probably the best place to put this.

I’m told big plans are being made for substancial work at BMH.

I posted (I think) a while back that the club had purchased a significant amount of land next to BMH.

Well I’m told that the plan is to build a large extension to the current facilities.

So much so that the current complex will become the youth set up facilities with the first team/squad moving to the new, separate but adjacent complex.

I don’t have much more info than that at this stage and can’t seem to find anything in the media to support it but that is what I’ve been told.

If accurate it’s a very interesting development in terms of the future of the club. I don’t know if this is contingent on promotion. Thought I’d share.

Steve Round must be absolutely loving the budget he's got - given that BMH is already world class, this sounds like it's going to be the ultimate training ground money can buy. Very positive news. 

Â