Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

17 minutes ago, Richard said:

Minimise investment , maximise return 

Which means spending money to get back into the PL, and then into Europe. 

So yes, I absolutely hope we're smart with our money, and get back into Europe regularly.

29 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Who said anything about a contingent of home grown players?

useless did, quoting DTX, just above. Home grown as in produced by Villa, not necessarily British.

and has emphasized, the need for the club to produce it's own players.

Edited by Genie

A few articles have stated that one of the reason's Xia bought the club was because he was impressed by our academy. Also he said this in reply to someone asking him if we're going to be spend like Man City once back in the Premier ship.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, useless said:

A few articles have stated that one of the reason's Xia bought the club was because he was impressed by our academy. Also he said this in reply to someone asking him if we're going to be spend like Man City once back in the Premier ship.

Our academy hasn't produced anybody of any note for ages though? Hardly impressive

Edited by KHV

2 minutes ago, KHV said:

Our academy hasn't produced anybody of any note for ages though? Hardly impressive

Marc Albrighton has just won the Premier League, Gary Cahill has been a Chelsea and England regular winning league and Champions League titles, Steve Davis is an international captain and has had a good Premier League career at Southampton, Craig Gardner has had a good Premier League career. That's just the first few examples I could think of and all of those players would have been useful to us at one time or another. Players like Andre Green, Gary Gardner and Jack Grealish coming through now should play a big part this season. 

No academy is going to consistently produce the best players in the world but we haven't done too badly with ours and a fair few have been given a decent chance in the first team. Obviously we're going to need money spent on transfers but investing in the academy would be extremely worthwhile.

• Like 3

Just now, IwishIwasalivein1982 said:

I like the idea of building the academy up. If we can create quality players from there then we don't need to waste tons of money on players who may or may not be good for us.

Yeah we can build the academy up but that takes time. If we are happy in the championship for the next 5-10 years thats something we could do as it doesnt happen over night. The current 1st team squad probably needs a minimum £50-£75m overhaul. The closer the season gets the more shit I think we are in. We have still got all of the crap from last season and have only signed low quality players thus far. It really is looking bleak

2 minutes ago, useless said:

Our academy hasn't done too badly, and there's no reason why it can't be improved upon either. Maybe Andrew Stone is the first step towards helping with that.

It hasnt produced anyone for a while

4 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

Marc Albrighton has just won the Premier League, Gary Cahill has been a Chelsea and England regular winning league and Champions League titles, Steve Davis is an international captain and has had a good Premier League career at Southampton, Craig Gardner has had a good Premier League career. That's just the first few examples I could think of and all of those players would have been useful to us at one time or another. Players like Andre Green, Gary Gardner and Jack Grealish coming through now should play a big part this season. 

No academy is going to consistently produce the best players in the world but we haven't done too badly with ours and a fair few have been given a decent chance in the first team. Obviously we're going to need money spent on transfers but investing in the academy would be extremely worthwhile.

Albrighton, Cahill and the Gardner brothers came through the academy a long time ago in football terms. Green may do well, he may not. I have seen bugger all from Grealish to suggest anything thus far to be honest. We can't rely on th academy

3 hours ago, Raver50032 said:

Perhaps Wolves coming along has derailed all his plans?

Just like Man City2 (not Shinawatra) scuppered Lerner... ;)

Was thinking the same thing last night, typical bloody Villa luck isnt it?

I also think this is why deep down a section of the fans have gotten restless and started panicking, I still think we need patience though.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

55 minutes ago, IwishIwasalivein1982 said:

I like the idea of building the academy up. If we can create quality players from there then we don't need to waste tons of money on players who may or may not be good for us.

You'll be lucky to see 1 squad player produced from the academy each year. Its the same everywhere. Its things like this from Tony that worry me that he doesn't really understand football in this country. You need an academy to supplement the squad and rarely unearth a really good top quality player.

43 minutes ago, KHV said:

Albrighton, Cahill and the Gardner brothers came through the academy a long time ago in football terms. Green may do well, he may not. I have seen bugger all from Grealish to suggest anything thus far to be honest. We can't rely on th academy

All very true, however didn't we win the NextGen series a couple of years ago with all our youngsters? i know most of them have moved on from villa but we must be doing something right.

Also i don't think it's a short term plan, Man City have invested heavily in their academy facilities, as well as splashing cash on players. Tony has opened a facility in India as well, so for a months work i think its all 100% positive. 

3 minutes ago, Flynnchin84 said:

All very true, however didn't we win the NextGen series a couple of years ago with all our youngsters? i know most of them have moved on from villa but we must be doing something right.

Also i don't think it's a short term plan, Man City have invested heavily in their academy facilities, as well as splashing cash on players. Tony has opened a facility in India as well, so for a months work i think its all 100% positive. 

Investment was priority, whilst it's impressive how much he's done in a month, I'm not impressed with the squad largely remaining as was.

Â