Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

4 hours ago, terrytini said:

Whilst I agree it is never easy getting players, I think from all we have been told it is reasonable for fans to assume we do have such a Magic Wand, in the Form of Tonys money to pay the best wages in the Championship.  Whilst it isn't everything, we have all seen countless examples of where money talks.

But the problem is that this is still less than a player would get in the premiership........... and people are still expecting us to get prem level players. Those players will not sign for us until there is no chance of them getting a premiership deal. We just have to be patient.

4 hours ago, terrytini said:

Whilst I agree it is never easy getting players, I think from all we have been told it is reasonable for fans to assume we do have such a Magic Wand, in the Form of Tonys money to pay the best wages in the Championship.  Whilst it isn't everything, we have all seen countless examples of where money talks.

It's a pretty hard balancing act though to attract the right players with the right motivation. Of course you could go the money talks option but even with the big sell for the future, if we beat a top half premier league team to a player, they would be more than likely choosing us for the big pay packet. Do you want a player that is that motivated by money anyway? that so often ends in disaster.

We are in a very difficult position to get the right players for now and the future. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

People are talking like we are looking for top 6 in the Premier league, wages, top players won't come to us etc. We are in the Championship, it shouldn't be to hard to get some quality in. We have a billionaire owner. Lets start as we mean to go on, players will come to us. If we need to pay wages, why not, players will hardly be expecting 100k a week to play in this league.

There's a huge shock coming to Xia if we don't get the personnal in before the window closes.

I don't think he is actually a billionaire. 

1 hour ago, TRO said:

my advice to Tony would be don't put up with the highly rated arrogance from football managers....unless they earn it with us.

If RDM does not get results in the short term......check on the progress and question the processes to achieve success......question the reasons why.

we all know it takes time.....but time can be abused by managers who are on the road to failure.....we have had our fair share of them.

Alex Ferguson too had a fair amount of time, but Martin Edwards knew intimately what he was doing and stood by him in the face of unrest.....we need that too.

I think he should stop talking to fans too. If we struggle he will get attacked on Twitter. Unfortunately we also know it can get personal too. 

26 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don't think he is actually a billionaire. 

Fortunately chap you have just quoted problem no. 1.

I myself just think he is a huge fan, a millionaire yes, with assets, but not rich enough to run a football club as big as Villa.

My guess is, he is working on behalf of a benefactor. 

7 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

My guess is, he is working on behalf of a benefactor. 

Well it's a good job the fit and proper persons test makes this impossible - but don't let that cloud your judgement. 

^ We could take over the entire football world, win the CL 5 times in a row, win every single game we ever play and make season tickets 50p and there would still be a huge population of Villa fans who would not trust him.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, villarocker said:

Are there any fans who trust Tony Xia 100%? Just asking. 

Not sure you could trust any owner 100% at this stage and trust comes in many forms - trust what? His integrity? Motivations?  Capabiliies?  Generally, though, I trust Tony Xia, but don't expect him to get everything right - he is learning.  I feel sure he wants Villa to do very well - he owns the club, why wouldn't he. I also trust he means what he says and he and RDM are trying very hard to improve the squad behind the scenes.  He has big plans for Villa (global academies etc., developing the ground and surrounding area) - and for those global plans to work he needs Villa to be in the premier league, so if we are patient I think we will get want we want, eventually.

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 3

At the moment I'm thinking he may be another Lerner, only Lerner in the final years rather than the first few. Being cautious with whatever money he has is fair enough, as clubs desperate for promotion can often be taken to the cleaners by unscrupulous agents, but at best that caution is resulting in us going into a crucial season unprepared and that is a worrying sign.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villarocker said:

Are there any fans who trust Tony Xia 100%? Just asking. 

35 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

Not sure you could trust any owner 100% at this stage and trust comes in many forms - trust what? His integrity? Intentions?  Capabiliies?  Generally, though, I trust Tony Xia, but don't expect him to get everything right - he is learning.  I feel sure  he wants Villa to do very well - he owns the club, why wouldn't he. I also trust he means what he says and he and RDM are trying very hard to improve the sequad behind the scenes.  He has big plans for Villa (global academies etc., developing the ground and surrounding area) - and for those global plans to work he need Villa to be in the premier league, so if we are patient I think we will get want we want, eventually.

Agree with Gary really. To expand on the point though, does any one trust any human being 100%? We're all just flawed, psychotic apes that stood upright 70,000 years ago and now struggle with a consciousness we've cobbled together from our hunter gatherer past. 

My point is that Tony Xia seems ok, at this point it's too early to tell, but he is starting to earn my trust. Why shouldn't I start to let him earn it...? 

There are things beyond trust too, for example where people genuinely beleive they are doing the right thing, but it turns out badly. To the outsider it's not always obvious that the original intentions were good when the end result is so bad. Not staying that's happened here, but trust is a fickle thing and it can be lost with no intention of losing it.

I like Tony so far though, and beleive was he says.

Edited by alreadyexists

He's said himself that he thinks he's worth rather more than a dollar billionaire and something along the lines of the deal to buy Villa is rather small compared to other deals that have involved Recon. I'm willing to believe him when he says that, he's done nothing to make me think he's a dishonest person. It's not as if he's mentioned his money in order to give people false hope either, because he's also stated that he won't spend like Man City or Chelsea, and has emphasized, the need for the club to produce it's own players.

• Like 3

Â